PDA

View Full Version : Another networking question

DebbieR
12-04-2006, 12:00 AM
I am still not connected to my wireless Netgear router. I have an ethernet card in my desktop PC to connect a wireless router with a laptop do I need to have something else in my desktop besides the ethernet card? Am I suppose to have some kind of wireless adapter in the desktop? I'm so confused with trying to network these 2 computers. :confused:

Dr. Tom
12-04-2006, 12:05 AM
To connect to your wireless router, you need a wireless Ethernet card in your computer. Some laptops have this built in so you wont need the card. Is your Ethernet card a wireless card? If it has an RJ46 plug on it, it is probably not a wireless card.

Tom

sharber60
12-04-2006, 12:10 AM
As asked before do you have the proper Cat5 cable going from the router to
the desktop network card? How many cables are you using?

The modem plugged into the router into the Wan port on the router? The Cat5
cable from the router port to the desktop?

What is the Netgear model number for the router?

sharber60
12-04-2006, 12:13 AM
To connect to your wireless router, you need a wireless Ethernet card in your computer. Some laptops have this built in so you wont need the card. Is your Ethernet card a wireless card? If it has an RJ46 plug on it, it is probably not a wireless card.

Tom

Most wireless routers can be hard wired also to a non-wireless network card..

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=178348&messageID=1955053

Just some points:

1. You will need a router for either setup to effectively set up file and printer sharing..You may want to choose a "wired" router only but most newer wireless routers also have a four or five port switch will allow you to plug in multiple "wired" connections as well as use the wireless connection. Choosing the wireless router would allow you to use either option and the wireless ability can easily be disabled should you choose not to use it.

2. For connecting the second comp to the system, hard wired will be more secure from attempted uses of your wireless time...

3. Wireless is sure nice when you expect to have friends that need a quick connection with their laptop.

4. The CAT 5/6 ethernet cable for 15 ft will be slightly cheaper than purchasing a wireless adapter for your second computer but may be more work to route through walls, ceilings or along the floor..It depends on location and access.

5. Although I prefer wireless PCI cards over the USB adapters for desktops, either one will work and should get good reception at such a short distance, especially if there is only one wall separating them.

6. Although file and printer can be shared easily over networks, the scanner doesn't work so well. I've never seen scanners that can be used remotely, although clearly, the files could be easily shared once saved to the computer.

DebbieR
12-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Sharber, I have used the cable that came with the wireless router to connect the router to the DSL modem and using the cable I had before to connect the DSL modem to the PC to connect the PC to the wireless router. I think I have said that right. I'm still using the ethernet card I have always used for DSL, I'm not understanding if I can continue to use it with the router or if I need to change it? Am I answering your questions about the cables?

sharber60
12-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Sharber, I have used the cable that came with the wireless router to connect the router to the DSL modem and using the cable I had before to connect the DSL modem to the PC to connect the PC to the wireless router. I think I have said that right. I'm still using the ethernet card I have always used for DSL, I'm not understanding if I can continue to use it with the router or if I need to change it? Am I answering your questions about the cables?

OK, sounds right, but wondering if you look at the router there is a special port
for the DSL modem cable, Then from the normal router port the second cable is going to the Network card at the back of your PC tower? Is this right?

Dr. Tom
12-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Sharper, thanks for the information.

Debbie:

I do not understand why one would buy a wire less router if they are connecting to the router with cable. Unless, they have a second computer connected wirelessly (is that a real word?). If you have more than one computer connected to the Internet, does either work?

I would make all the connections. Then turn off the modem, router and computer. Power up the modem. When it is connected (I can tell by the LEDs on mine), power up the router. Then turn on the computer. If the connection does not work after that, go into Control Panel, open Network Connections, and run New Connection Wizard.

While in the Control Panel, open Systems, then Hardware, then Device Manager. Are there any "Yellow" question marks or "Yellow" exclamation points by anything, but especially the Network Connections.

Tom

sharber60
12-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Dr Tom, from previous posts Debbie is trying to network her PC to a wireless
router & her son has a new wireless laptop that they want to share the connection.

Layout the Plan

1. One computer hardwired – It is desirable to have at least one of your computers hardwired to the network to simplify setup and future troubleshooting. It is not necessary to keep it wired, but will make troubleshooting and setup much easier. You can make it wireless later if you want. If you are planning to use one computer as a server or central storage place for data and even a print server, you may want to keep this one hard wired to the network. It is still desirable to have as many computers hardwired as is conveniently possible and leave the rest for wireless.

2. Location of Hardware – Placement of your wireless router/access point is critical for optimum performance. Placing it in a central location equal distance from all the receiving computers is desirable. Also, installing it above the receiving computers is generally better than below. In other words, placing the router/access point in the attic is usually better than in the basement. Installing it in the far corner of the basement and expecting to get reception on the 3rd floor at the opposite end of the house is unlikely.

3. Avoid other objects – Place the router/access point away from other items in the room such as computers, wires and large objects. Move it to a location high up on a shelf away from your computer, monitor and printer.

4. Experiment First – If you have a laptop with wireless capability, you can use it to test your layout prior to finalizing your plans. You will need a Wireless Router or Access Point, but you do not need to connect the router to your DSL or Cable modem to run some placement tests.

1. First hardwire your wireless router/access point to one of your computers and go into setup (check your manual) and change the SSID (this is the routers name as it will seen by other computers) to anything other than the default. If you leave the default setting for the SSID, which is usually the name of the manufacturer (linksys, D-Link, Netgear), you might pick up someone else’s signal with out knowing it. I ran into this just the other day.

MrBill
12-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Phone wire from Wall to Modem (not the modem in the PC). Larger wire from Modem to Router where it is marked Lan or maybe something else but it is usually by itself. Then go from Port 1 on the router to your desktop NIC card with a Larger wire like the one from the modem to the router. That should get your desktop on line. Now for your laptop. If it has a built in wireless card, you just need to set up a connection from the Control Panel/Network Setup Wizard and it should find your router. If it doesn't have a built in wireless card, you need a PCMCIA Card or a USB Wireless adapter. You need to do the Network Setup Wizard for these also. What is the make and model of your Laptop?

sharber60
12-04-2006, 01:05 AM
Previous posts

http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=99603

MrBill
12-04-2006, 01:09 AM
I read her previous post on this same subject and what Netgear told her. I am assuming that she is on line with the desktop and has a problem with the laptop. Don't know if it has a built in card or not.

DebbieR
12-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Everything is as Sharber posted. I'm wanting to network my desktop Dell PC with my son's Dell laptop. His laptop came equipped with the necessary wireless card. My router is a wireless NetGear WGT624. I have contacted NetGear and they told me I need to contact Dell to get an IP address for my ethernet card in the desktop PC. Or at least I think that is what she said, her accent was kinda thick and I've not done that yet. Shouldn't I be able to find that on my PC without contacting Dell?

MrBill
12-04-2006, 01:25 AM
Can either/both PC get on the Internet at home? Do you want to share files between the 2 PC's? Dell should not really be involved in this. You will have to set up the connection wizard and if wanting to share files, the file sharing on both.

DebbieR
12-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Mr Bill, I dont' have the router connected to my PC at the present time because when its connected I have no DSL connection. I am wanting to share my printer, files, etc. from my desktop to son's laptop via the wireless router. We are able to connect to the internet by someone else's connection while in my house on my son's laptop. I have no idea whose connection we are picking up on.

Dr. Tom
12-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Back to my original question. Does either Debbie's PC or her son's laptop connect with the Internet? I am trying to establish where the problem is.

Tom

DebbieR
12-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Dr. Tom, my problem is when I connect my desktop PC to the router I lose my DSL connection. I've done nothing with my son's laptop as far as connecting it to the router. At this point in time my son's laptop can connect to the internet by some other means other than our home DSL connection.

Dr. Tom
12-04-2006, 03:22 AM
Dr. Tom, my problem is when I connect my desktop PC to the router I lose my DSL connection. I've done nothing with my son's laptop as far as connecting it to the router. At this point in time my son's laptop can connect to the internet by some other means other than our home DSL connection.

Hi Debbie;

I assume the laptop has a connection to the Internet with the router connected to the DSL modem until you plug in your computer to the router.

I also assume that when you plug your computer into the DSL modem, you have a connection to the internet.

If the router works with the laptop, that is a difficult problem. I would suspect the router has a bad cable plug or your cable has a broken wire or plug. Have you tried other sockets on the router?

I looked up Netgear Wireless routers. Every one I saw came with an installation CD. If it is like my Linksys Router CD, there are some things on that CD which are very useful. One would be installation procedures. And I assume they would tell you the order for powering up the DSL modem router and computer. The CD also may have trouble shooting software. And I would assume it has the installation drivers.

Insert the CD and look at the contents. If it has installation procedures or trouble shooting information, read that carefully. Then look for an uninstall program. Use what ever you need to remove the router drivers and Ethernet drivers. Go into Control Panel-->System-->Hardware-->Device Manager and remove the Ethernet card and router if you find it there. Turn off the computer. Boot and install the Ethernet card. You may need to do this from a driver CD.

Then follow the instructions for installing the router. If you have no instructions, make the connections with the computer turned off. Boot the computer. See what happens. If XP does not do anything, use the CD to install the router connection.

After all is installed turn off and restart the computer to ensure all is installed. Then check to see if you are connected to the Internet. If not, you may need to go back to the Control Panel-->Network Connections-->New Connection Wizard to set things up again.

Then try your son laptop. You may also need to use The New Connection Wizard to set things up on his computer.

Well it is now 3:15 AM. Time to go to sleep. But I will check back at 9:00 AM and throughout the day. Others will be here also.

One last thought. The router could be defective. So be patient and we will stick with this until it works.

Tom

N5RDC
12-04-2006, 08:22 AM
The router can be wired to the desktop - no need for a wireless connection here. Just connect the routers wan or internet port to the modem, and the desktop to any of the router's numbered ports.
All you need do is to use the disk that came with the router to setup the network. (I suspect this is where your problem lies) If you didn't get a printed manual for the router, there will be one on the disk that came with it. You should read that manual & then ask about anything you don't understand.

MMFELL
12-04-2006, 08:28 AM
See attachment for wiring connections. Have to used the CD that came with the Netgear? Have you a firewall on the PC?
Set-up is fast and easy thanks to NETGEAR's Smart Wizard installation CD that automatically detects necessary settings. NETGEAR’s Touchless WiFi Security helps select and activate the appropriate level of wireless security with a few clicks of a mouse.

DebbieR
12-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all of your replies and efforts to help me in this matter. I'm slow at learning all of this so please bear with me as I try to take everythign in that you are telling me to do. Up to this point, actually before I ever posted the first time with my network questions I had read the instructions for the router, etc. and it read to be a simple matter. Since then it all seems to have gotten quite complicated.
I will start at the beginning.....................
My wireless NetGear router came with a CD everything was going fine till it said for me to wire everything up and then when it checked for an internet connection before it could proceed there was on conncetion. Instead it messed up my DSL service and I had to contact Windstream to help me get my service to working again and that is as far as I've progressed with my network. I've been hesitant to lose my internet connection again. When I called NetGear for help the person I spoke with never told me to use the Cd at all, she had me to go to the command prompt and type in ipconfig and give her an address then proceeded to have me connect all the cables as I had before to the DSL modem, PC & router then she had me to open a browser and type in some numbers. I never got the page I was suppose to so she had me go into the command prompt and type in ipconfig and where the IP address was I had only 0's. Then she told me to contact Dell to get an IP address for my ethernet card.
How am I to know whether or not the router is a good one or not if I can never get past this point? Or could it be a faulty cable? How would I know that?

nojmit
12-04-2006, 05:20 PM
What they meant was MAC address. You should be able to find that by going to start >run>type in cmd. A window will open on your screen. type in ipconfig /all. The Second paragraph that says "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection x:" There should be a line that says Physical Address........xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx . This is your MAC address that you should input into your router.

sharber60
12-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Debbie, do you have a friend nearby or someone you know who has a wireless
router, that could come over & help you?

FOSTERHACKETT
12-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Is this the one? click here (http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgt624.asp)

DebbieR
12-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Sharber, I dont' no anyone else with a wireless router who could help me :(

Fosterhackett, yes, that is the router I have. The one it shows is black but mine is all white.

I'm connected to the internet right now and when I put the router CD in it says I have no internet connection. What's up with that?

What would happen if I didn't use the CD and just let the PC find the hardware connected or use the network wizard on the PC? Are those only for dial-up connections? Does DSL have anything to do with it being connected differently?

nojmit
12-04-2006, 06:36 PM
How am I to know whether or not the router is a good one or not if I can never get past this point? Or could it be a faulty cable? How would I know that?

We know the cable you are using now is good because you can connect to your modem. Swap it with the other cable from the router and see if works, then you'll know it's not your cables.

When you connect your cables to the router you should have one solid light for your power and two other lights.Flashing if it's not getting a signal and solid if it is.

See this page, if you follow these steps and it still doesn't work return the router. http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101209.asp

Dr. Tom
12-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Sharber, I dont' no anyone else with a wireless router who could help me :(

Fosterhackett, yes, that is the router I have. The one it shows is black but mine is all white.

I'm connected to the internet right now and when I put the router CD in it says I have no internet connection. What's up with that?

What would happen if I didn't use the CD and just let the PC find the hardware connected or use the network wizard on the PC? Are those only for dial-up connections? Does DSL have anything to do with it being connected differently?

I don't remember ever using the CD to install my Linksys routers. I think XP set them up the first time and that was it. Anytime I need to do a fresh install, I just use the New Connection Wizard to set things up.

I would try the Connection Wizard. Then let us know what happened.

Tom

DebbieR
12-05-2006, 03:10 AM
I tried the set up wizard without any luck there.

hal9000
12-05-2006, 03:37 AM
I tried the set up wizard without any luck there.

Deb, you're in over your head. Contact the nearest Best Buy and pay for the Geek Squad to come out. It will be worth it. :)

MrBill
12-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Bad router?

FOSTERHACKETT
12-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Open internet explorer and in the address bar type in 192.168.0.1
or is it 1.1 I don't recall if one doesn't work try the other. This will get you
into the router settings and you will be able to set them up to work. If you look at the link posted for netgeat router it tells you how to setup your settings if you don't understand a phone call to them will set you straight
Good luck :)

Dr. Tom
12-05-2006, 10:35 PM
At this point, I agree with Foster. Call Netgear. If you cannot understand the person on the other end, get their name, then ask for their supervisor. Keep pushing until you get someone who speaks American English clearly.

If Netgear cannot help you, take their router back and get a Linksys router. It has been several years since I called them, but their tech service was excellent. It took less than 30 minutes to fix the problem and get back up on the Internet. No problem since then.

Tom

DebbieR
12-05-2006, 11:08 PM
:) Thanks again for all your replies to my problem. I've not had the extra time yet to contact Net Gear again but since its thier product I'm dealing with I think that is where I will go for help for now. I hate to deal with these kinds of support because they always go back to what happened the first time you called and go through the same steps, knowing all the time its not gonna work, unless you get someone who really takes thier job seriously and want to help the customer/caller with thier problem. I also get that kind of tech support from my DSL service.

When I called the NetGear before she told me to contact Dell to get the IP address for my ethernet card, can someone tell me why they always say its a Dell problem? My computer is just fine till I use thier stuff then it messes up. Same thing happens with my Alltel DSL service. :mad:

MrBill
12-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Mr Bill, I dont' have the router connected to my PC at the present time because when its connected I have no DSL connection. I am wanting to share my printer, files, etc. from my desktop to son's laptop via the wireless router. We are able to connect to the internet by someone else's connection while in my house on my son's laptop. I have no idea whose connection we are picking up on.
On the laptop, does it show the 2 little monitors down by the clock? Hover the mouse over them and see what the signal strength is? Somebody close to you has a wireless device and if you take the laptop outside and start walking in one direction or another it should change. The closer you get to the source, the stronger the signal will be. When you find the neighbor with the wireless setup, ask them to help you. If the laptop can pick up the signal and you have a wireless card in your desktop, you should also be able to pick it up.

DebbieR
12-06-2006, 12:56 AM
I dont' have a wireless card in my desktop, I thought I could use my ethernet card? Is that the source of my problem? Do I need to install a wireless card on my desktop?

MrBill
12-06-2006, 01:10 AM
Misread somebody else's post in here. Just use your Eithernet (NIC) Card. The cable that you have running between your Modem and your Router, is it bigger then the telephone cable in size arround? You need 2 that size. One between the Modem (not the one in your PC) and the Router and then one between a port in the router to your Eithernet card. These 2 need to be the same size. The plugs on the end are twice the size of a phone wire. I will be on here for a while longer. Let me know.

nojmit
12-06-2006, 01:21 AM
I dont' have a wireless card in my desktop, I thought I could use my ethernet card? Is that the source of my problem? Do I need to install a wireless card on my desktop?

No. Don't do that. Aside from the fact that it is possibly illegal to be using your neighbors bandwidth without their consent, you are not getting your problem fixed.

When you find the neighbor with the wireless setup, ask them to help you.

I'm not so sure this would be a good idea since that person hasn't taken the basic steps to secure their network.

MrBill
12-06-2006, 01:24 AM
No. Don't do that. Aside from the fact that it is possibly illegal to be using your neighbors bandwidth without their consent, you are not getting your problem fixed.

I'm not so sure this would be a good idea since that person hasn't taken the basic steps to secure their network.
If they are stupid enough to send it out, I am stupid enough to use it. (Just kidding) I bet that they don't even know it and would appreciate it if told. Most wireless signals don't go 100' unless there is an range extender or something similar involved. An apartment complex would be the ones that would likely have others picking up their signal. Mine is in the middle of my house and if I get about 70' from it, I have no signal. I know several people who are on wireless with a router like I am and get about the same distance that I do.

nojmit
12-06-2006, 01:39 AM
If they are stupid enough to send it out, I am stupid enough to use it. I bet that they don't even know it and would appreciate it if told.

:) Yeppers, so would I in an emergency but I'd make sure my firewall was working. No telling what sort of nasties are bouncing around on somebody elses network.

Well I'm calling it a night and hope that Debbie gets her problem fixed. She's been fighting with that for quite a while now.

MrBill
12-06-2006, 01:48 AM
My PC Club used to meet at a Church 1 night a month. We had some of our PC stuff stored there. The only PC we had to work with there was an old 98SE PC and didn't have the money to get something that would hold XP. I brought the wife's laptop one night to show some of them that were using XP now how to do a couple of things. Turned it on and noticed that I had a connection. The preacher lived behind the church and had wireless router at the house and a range extender on it so that they could all get on the net either from the house of the office in the church. I said something to him about it because when I hovered over it, it said Ron's network. His name was Ron so I figured it was him. He didn't realize that everybody and anybody could get on it. He secured it and we set up an address for my wife's laptop also so that I could use it if need be. We don't meet there anymore so I let him know and told him to get that address off and I removed it from the wife's laptop.

MrBill
12-06-2006, 01:51 AM
Guess that Deb went to bed. She shows off line. I don't know why Netgear told her to call Dell. They are out of the picture as far as I am concerned. Not sure, but I would say that she probably has a bad router. Would put it back in the box and take it back and get another one. Hope that she also has the right cables. That is why I asked her if she had the 2 larger ones then the size of a phone cord one. We will get this for her.

FOSTERHACKETT
12-06-2006, 06:36 AM
Ok I just looked at my router
This is how (Open internet explorer and in the adress bar type in 192.168.1.1)
It will come up with type in password type in (admin) if you can not get to this page your router is not working. even if you cannot get on the internet you should still be able to get into the router. If you cannot get into the router this way it is either hooked up wrong,bad cable,bad router.
Those are the three things I would concentrate on.

I run both wireless and cat 5 (cable) on my router and it works fine.
If you get it up and running make sure to set your firewall up in your router.
I would try net gear tec support again

MrBill
12-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Deb, This is why you can get on the internet with the laptop.

Let visitors join your Wi-Fi network

I have a wireless network, but I didn't set it up. I paid a tech to do it. I have a visitor who wants to connect, but I don't know how to do that. I am only semi-computer-literate. Can you tell me the steps to let someone else onto my network?

I've addressed wireless network encryption setups (http://www.komando.com/columns/index.aspx?id=2232) before, including good reasons for (http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=2010) them. But my previous advice covered only the setup. So how can you add another computer to your secured network? After all, the whole purpose of encryption is to prevent others from logging on.
A wireless-enabled computer should detect any nearby networks automatically. In Windows, a wireless icon will appear in the notification area (near the clock). Right-click the icon and select "View available wireless networks."

Windows lists wireless networks by name or SSID (service set identifier). Your network should appear, regardless of security settings. Select your network and click the Connect button.

If the network is protected by encryption, you'll be prompted for the key (password). If this is new to you, then it is where you're stuck.

Your network technician probably wrote down the network key for you. Written keys are commonly attached underneath the wireless router. So peek there first.

If you come up empty-handed, you can access your wireless router. You may find the network key there.

To access the router, use a computer that is already on the network. Open the Web browser. Enter the router's IP address in the browser's address bar. The IP address is usually listed in the router's manual.

If you're prompted for a password, try the default password listed in the manual. If the technician has changed the password, try to get it. If that fails, you can change the password yourself. But if you do that, you'll have to re-establish the network.

Once into the router, you will see its configuration menu. The organization of the menu depends on your brand of router. Regardless, most include the same basic options. Look for wireless security options.

Under the wireless security options, look for something like "network key" or "shared key." That's what you need to get your visitor's computer onto your network.

Unfortunately, many routers hide the network key as asterisks or bullets. In that case, only the network technician knows the key. You could enter a new network key of your choice in the router. You'll have to adjust each of your networked computers to match. I have a previous tip (http://) that can help.

Dr. Tom
12-06-2006, 11:20 AM
:)
When I called the NetGear before she told me to contact Dell to get the IP address for my Ethernet card, can someone tell me why they always say its a Dell problem? My computer is just fine till I use their stuff then it messes up. Same thing happens with my Alltel DSL service. :mad:

This is sad, but the truth is when the person at the tech service center has no idea how to fix the problem, they usually blame some other part of the computer. This way they do not have to admit they are not capable of fixing their problem.

You do no need to call Dell for any addresses on hardware in you computer. Your OS has all the software needed to do this for you. It has been a long time since I messed with that stuff, but there are DOS (yes XP has DOS) commands to read any numbers you may need. If their software needed addresses, it should have got them without your help.

The best bet is to get a supervisor on the phone, and tell them that if NetGear cannot help you, you will take it back and get a Linksys. Also tell them that you will let us at WorldStart know not to purchase NetGear stuff. May or may not be true, but sometimes it helps if they know that a lot of people will find out how competent they are.

Tom

DebbieR
12-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Is there a way I can find out if my router is working without using the internet? What if I just wanted the router to share the printer and files with another computer? Is an internet connection necessary?

MrBill
12-07-2006, 01:18 AM
With your PC hooked to it, in IE clear the address bar and type in 192.168.1.1 and click Go and see if you get to a log in screen. If so, type in admin as the password and see if you get to the software of the router. Another thing Start/Run type in cmd click OK then in that window, type in ipconfig and see what it says and post it here...

MrBill
12-07-2006, 01:36 AM
Another thing you could do. Look on the back and with a paper clip or a pencil (usually easier) there is a reset button. Push it in and hold it for about 5 seconds or so and you will see the lights go off and then start to come back on. Then turn the button loose and wait for it to settle down. Usually takes about 30 seconds or so to do this.

Some more to read (http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101209.asp)...

MMFELL
12-07-2006, 09:12 AM
What if I just wanted the router to share the printer and files with another computer? Is an internet connection necessary?Yes to 1st question No to 2nd. As long as the router works then the PC can "talk" to each other.

DebbieR
12-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Mr Bill I've tried putting the address in IE several times and I get an 'error' type page instead of the page for admin, etc. I've tried the 'reset' button too.

MrBill
12-07-2006, 02:28 PM
I see no attachment. You are NOT connected to your router if you keep getting the error page. You have a BAD router or Cable or it is hooked up wrong. You should have a phone cord going to the Modem. From the Modem to the router should be a cable that looks like a phone cable but is bigger. Then from the Router you should have the bigger cable going to your NIC card in your Desk Top PC.

DebbieR
12-07-2006, 03:24 PM
I have the phone line plugged into my DSL modem. I have the cable I already used for my DSL connection to the PC and used the cable that came with the router. I've checked several times that I'm wired up according to the directions. Know matter what I've tried I cant get the internet connection.

nojmit
12-07-2006, 03:42 PM
If you swapped the cables between your compute and modem as suggested in this post http://forum.worldstart.com/showpost.php?p=999798&postcount=25 then they are not the problem.

Here's another idea. Take your laptop into the room with the router. Make sure the router is unplugged. On the laptop down by the clock area is a icon that looks like two computers - right click on it - click on view available wireless networks. Now plug the router in and see if the laptop finds another connection.

MrBill
12-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Just go to the modem from your PC with one of the cables. Then if you can get on line, try to use the other cable. This will elimate the cables. You are going from the Modem to the router then from the router to the PC right? Go to Start/Control Panel/Network Connections and does it show anything there? If not, Create a new connection on the left side and go from there. I would say that it is the router which I have said before.

Dr. Tom
12-07-2006, 05:09 PM
I smell a cable problem. There are two kinds of cables. Both look the same. Both have 8 wire strands in them.

One is used for computer to computer connections. This is call a cross over cable because one of the wire pairs are switched. You do not want this type.

The other is for connections from the computer to a modem or router. The wire strands are in the same order on both ends of the cable. This is what you need.

I do not know how to tell them apart. Nor do I know what the correct technical names are. I just make sure I never buy a cross over cable.

Could it be one of your cables is a cross over cable? to check this out, connect your desk top directly to the modem. First use one cable and check to see if you can connect to the Internet. The do the same with the second cable. If you cannot connect to the Internet with one of the cables, it is probably a cross over cable. It could also be a broken cable. In either case, replace that with a good cable.

If both cables give you connections to the Internet, they both are good and I will need to put my thinking cap on again and strain whats left of my gray cells.

If you have more than two cables, check them all.

Tom

By the way, the order in my working cables is:

......Orange/White
......Solid Orange
......Green/White
......Solid Blue
......Blue/White
......Solid Green
......Brown/White
......Solid Brown

MrBill
12-07-2006, 05:14 PM
I smell a cable problem. There are two kinds of cables. Both look the same. Both have 8 wire strands in them.

One is used for computer to computer connections. This is call a cross over cable because one of the wire pairs are switched. You do not want this type.

The other is for connections from the computer to a modem or router. The wire strands are in the same order on both ends of the cable. This is what you need.

I do not know how to tell them apart. Nor do I know what the correct technical names are. I just make sure I never buy a cross over cable.

Could it be one of your cables is a cross over cable? to check this out, connect your desk top directly to the modem. First use one cable and check to see if you can connect to the Internet. The do the same with the second cable. If you cannot connect to the Internet with one of the cables, it is probably a cross over cable. It could also be a broken cable. In either case, replace that with a good cable.

If both cables give you connections to the Internet, they both are good and I will need to put my thinking cap on again and strain whats left of my gray cells.

If you have more than two cables, check them all.

Tom

By the way, the order in my working cables is:

......Orange/White
......Solid Orange
......Green/White
......Solid Blue
......Blue/White
......Solid Green
......Brown/White
......Solid Brown
Could be but I would not think that they would be the wrong ones that came with the equipment if that is what was used. The manufacture of the Modem and the Router would have no reason to even have the other one in stock. I think that she used one to connect directly from the Modem to the PC then switched it with the other one and could still get on. That would eliminate the cables.

DebbieR
12-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I tried the cables as you have mentioned. I could get an internet connection with both cables. My problem is I have no internet connection when I have the router connected to the PC and plugged in.
What do I do to connect my DSL modem to my laptop? If I just unplug the modem cable from my desktop and plug into the laptop will windows pick it up or do I need to contact my DSL server to help me? Then can I try my router with the laptop? Could my problem be with the DSL modem instead of the router?

Dr. Tom
12-07-2006, 06:02 PM
If both cables work with the DSL modem and your desktop. that means that the DSL modem, cables, and your computer's Ethernet card are all working correctly. Right now it is either the router is not set correctly or the router is defective.

Any luck calling NetGear lately?

Tom

MrBill
12-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I tried the cables as you have mentioned. I could get an internet connection with both cables. My problem is I have no internet connection when I have the router connected to the PC and plugged in.
What do I do to connect my DSL modem to my laptop? If I just unplug the modem cable from my desktop and plug into the laptop will windows pick it up or do I need to contact my DSL server to help me? Then can I try my router with the laptop? Could my problem be with the DSL modem instead of the router?
Yes you can if on the back or side of the laptop, you have a connection to hook the cable into. Most laptops have either wireless or a NIC port on them. I am leaning toward a bad router as usual. Take it back where you got it from and get another one.

DebbieR
12-07-2006, 09:36 PM
My son purchased the Netgear router when he got his Dell laptop. So I'd have to ship it back to them. I'm thinking of going to Walmart and getting a Linksys instead. Are they a better brand?

FOSTERHACKETT
12-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Netgear makes a good router is this the one click here (http://www.speedguide.net/showpic.php?img=/images/pics/reviews/183_254_lights.gif) are the lights on as in the picture if they are here is the setup (http://www.speedguide.net/read_reviews.php?id=183&page=1) this will explain how it is suppose to go :)

MrBill
12-07-2006, 11:51 PM
My son purchased the Netgear router when he got his Dell laptop. So I'd have to ship it back to them. I'm thinking of going to Walmart and getting a Linksys instead. Are they a better brand?
Six of one, half dozen of the other. I have had this Linksys and know people who have had them as well as Netgear and no complaints. I would call Netgear one more time. And I would also call Dell and tell them what is going on.

DebbieR
12-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I wanted to check here once more before I call NetGear again. I have some extra time to spare in case they put me on hold like before. I hope to post back later that everything is setup and working properly.

DebbieR
12-08-2006, 03:51 PM
I've been on the phone with Netgear and still not connected. Tech support has told me to disable the spyware programs and ZA. I have disabled the ZA and the Spywareblaster but I dont' know how to disable the Spybot or the Adaware. How to I disable these temporarily? I feel like I'm wasting my time here with this but thought it wouldnt' hurt anything either.

Bruce
12-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Are you using Spybot's Tea Timer?

Crash Override
12-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Try using 192.168.0.1 in Internet Explorer.
If that does not work, Go to Start-->Run and type cmd and press enter. This is a command prompt. In the command prompt, type ipconfig /renew. Then post results of an ipconfig.

DebbieR
12-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Bruce, I dont have the tea timer enabled.

CrashOverride, the tech support had me do that in the command prompt, I dont' remember what it said now but it didn't work.

Bruce
12-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Bruce, I dont have the tea timer enabled.

CrashOverride, the tech support had me do that in the command prompt, I dont' remember what it said now but it didn't work.
That being the case Spybot and AdAware are not Active unless you activate them Manually.

MrBill
12-08-2006, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't worry about SpywareBlaster either. You can if you want to go into it and then Disable all protection if you want to. I would not as it isn't going to bother your router. I have put in a few routers and have never disabled anything.

DebbieR
12-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Everytime the tech person had me to type in routerlogin.com into the IE it came up as Page not found then she would have me type in the numbers 192.168.1.1 so I never could get past the error page.

MrBill
12-08-2006, 06:27 PM
How old is this defective router that you got from DELL? Their Tech Support can also help you. Just remind them that they supplied the router with the PC which you paid for...

Dr. Tom
12-08-2006, 06:31 PM
I guess the only thing left to try is another router. Can you borrow one?

Tom

DebbieR
12-08-2006, 06:34 PM
I purchased the router in October 2006 when I got the laptop for my son.

DebbieR
12-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Would this be a good router?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2470125

Phil
12-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Yes. That's the one I have used for some time. Phone tech support has been good too.

The one you got from Dell should still be under warranty.

Dr. Tom
12-08-2006, 07:17 PM
I have two Linksys routers. But neither is a wireless. Setup was easy and their tech support was very good.

Tom

MrBill
12-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Would this be a good router?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2470125
Yes it is. I would still call DELL as it is a FREE call and complain to them that it has never been used and is bad.

DebbieR
12-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Mr Bill that is what I intend to do. I'm fed up with this router and I'm ready to move on to something that works.

Crash Override
12-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Everytime the tech person had me to type in routerlogin.com into the IE it came up as Page not found then she would have me type in the numbers 192.168.1.1 so I never could get past the error page.
Debbie, I have only seen you using 192.168.1.1, I have not seen 192.168.0.1 mentioned being used other than my first response. One other command to attempt is ipconfig /flushdns. That command flushes the dns resolver cache on your machine.

If you look on the router, there should be a spot on the router to reset it. If you can locate that, that may be one last thing to try.

DebbieR
12-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Crash, I've done those things you mentioned too. All with the same results. I guess my only choice now is to return the router. Dell will not replace it since its been over my 21 days so guess they will repair this router or whatever. I plan to give them a call at a later time when I can to be sure what can be done since I bought it from them. Everyone has been so helpful and I appreciate all of your time and replies. Everything you all have mentioned is what I've tried and still not solved the problem but I will continue to post as this situation gets fixed, whenever that might be :)