PDA

View Full Version : Tip & trick-- Blink screen when Cap Lock

Wormy
09-17-2002, 11:05 AM
I recently set up my computer to blink and make a sound if I hit the "Caps Lock" by mistake. The screen does blink, but I do not get a sound when I hit the "Caps Lock" key or any of those keys.
I have it all set exactly as the the instructions say, but no sound.

I am on Windows 98 SE. Any ideas what I might have set wrong. Thanks !

cobber
09-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Wormy...I set mine per the worldstart instructions and it worked fine...Setting are: Start, Settings, Control Panel, Accessibility Options Icon, On the Keyboard tab, click the "Use Toggle Keys" checkbox...Hope this helps...

Cobber

Wormy
09-18-2002, 02:02 AM
I have it all set exactly the way the instructions say, but I DO NOT get a beep or anyother sound when I hit the Caps Lock key. Is there some place else that might be turned off ?

jaded
09-21-2002, 07:29 PM
I'm running XP SP1, and I had the same luck (or lack of it) with that very same program: get the blink, but no sound. Methinks there's something missing in the instructions.

jaded

Wormy
09-21-2002, 08:51 PM
Something is wrong, I can't get it to work on Win ME either.

sanlaw
09-22-2002, 01:17 PM
I too have windows 98se and have the setting set the same and nothing happens here either.:(

Wormy
09-22-2002, 01:25 PM
I have asked at another message board for further instructions to see if something was left out of these instructions. If or when I get an answer, I will post it here for all to see.

Jan
09-22-2002, 01:32 PM
Hi. I have xp, and chose to just have the beep, not the flash, and it worked fine for me. It is sure a great tip too-I hit that darn cap lock key ALL the time.

Wormy
09-22-2002, 01:43 PM
I have Win 98 SE, I'll have to look but I don't think it give you that choice.

amron
09-22-2002, 07:01 PM
Thanks Wormy I really needed the tip onsetting Beep when on Caps. I do that all the time.

Wormy
09-22-2002, 07:29 PM
BUT........ Just wondering, does anyone's beep ? Or do they just "Flash" the screen ? I haven't heard anyone here or comments other places say that they get a "Flash" and a "Beep".

Jan
09-22-2002, 07:40 PM
My xp machine beeps, and so does my me one. I haven't tried to set up the flash because I don't want it.

Jan

amron
09-22-2002, 07:40 PM
Wormy I do not get a flash but do get a beep but it is very low. Almost can not hear it. I turned my speaker up but that did not help either.

Wormy
09-22-2002, 07:45 PM
So... so far your not getting both, the flash and the beep on either machine ?

Jan
09-22-2002, 08:57 PM
Hi Wormy. This is bugging me now. OK, like I said, I only wanted the beep, but just now, I went and set up the flash too, to see if I could get them BOTH to work, and it did. It worked just fine-flash and beep. I'm going to ditch the flash now.:)

Jan

Wormy
09-22-2002, 09:06 PM
OK..........Let us know what happens

jefctc
09-22-2002, 09:26 PM
Hi to all, For what it's worth I have the sound alert installed to this computer which has Windows 98-2nd edition and it works fine. Just the other day I tried to install it on our other computer which is also Windows 98 but has IE6 and I couldn't make it work. Tried several times but couldn't get either sound or flash to work. (by the way, this computer has IE5.5) Maybe there is a compatability problem?

Wormy
09-22-2002, 09:31 PM
Any idea how we could find an answer to the question raised here (above)

sanlaw
09-23-2002, 03:18 PM
I just found out something! Next to the toggle key option is settings. I went there and there is a shortcut for toggle key so I applied the shortcut and I now have the beep. Give it a try, it worked for me :cool: I should have said I have windows 98se. Just put a tick in the shortcut box and then hold down the number lock key for 5 seconds.

jefctc
09-23-2002, 05:19 PM
Sanlaw, I was really hoping your tip would work, but no luck. I tried it several times and even got a window when I held down "numlock" telling me that this would give me the sounds, but no such luck! Frustrating! It works on one computer but not the other!

frustr

sanlaw
09-23-2002, 05:33 PM
Do both computers have windows 98se? Also how about your speaker level? Other than that I don't know the answers either. I'll keep watching for someone else to answer. I also know that both toggle keys have to be ticked in order to get the beep. On my computer anyway.:cool:

Wormy
09-23-2002, 05:36 PM
I had already tried that, but I went back and tried again........ didn't work on 98SE or ME for me !

BUT......... I did find a freeware download called "First Cap" that will work.

Wormy
09-23-2002, 05:43 PM
I couldn't get the shortcut thing to work either, so I went hunting. Here is a freeware that will do the job............. but you will need to be able to open a zip file.

Here it is : http://digilander.libero.it/falsinfab/falsinsoft/

If you don't winzip, go and download the trial version and use it to get this freeware !

jefctc
09-23-2002, 07:05 PM
Sanlaw, I thought my problem was not having both toggle keys checked, but still no luck. Will try Wormy's advice and let you know.

jefctc
09-23-2002, 07:25 PM
Wormy and Sanlaw, Have just tried both your suggestions-no luck! I guess it's time I gave up. I was just trying to help my BH since he is prone to hitting the caps lock button. He uses the computer on which it won't work. Thanks for all your input!

Jaberwoc
09-24-2002, 05:41 AM
Hi All,
I just tried this on two seperate PC's, both with XP pro,
I get the bleep on each one no flash, Hope the info is of use.

Wormy
09-24-2002, 08:52 AM
As I said before, here is the freeware download that works. It is called "First Cap"

http://digilander.libero.it/falsinfab/falsinsoft/

jefctc
09-24-2002, 04:23 PM
Wormy, The download didn't work either.

Wormy
09-24-2002, 04:30 PM
It worked for me, maybe this whole thing was a bad idea to start with ! HA ! HA !

It must be allot like someother things in the cyber-world, very few things are for certain !

sanlaw
09-24-2002, 05:31 PM
Just to let you know I did d/l wromy's file & that works great too! Now I have them both working. On the original toggle tip, try rebooting after doing the changes. That may be the problem. I do like Wormy's program because you can do some configuring of your own. If I have problems, I will let you all know. Thanks to all especially Wormy for taking the time to research and help.:cool:

jefctc
09-24-2002, 07:57 PM
As Sanlaw says, Many thanks Wormy. I appreciate the time you spent replying. sometimes tips work and sometimes they don't!

Wormy
09-24-2002, 08:02 PM
My Pleasure to all.......... this kind of stuff helps me pass the time, and time is all I have, you see I am legally blind but do see barely enough to do this stuff............ so thank you folks.

jefctc
09-24-2002, 08:30 PM
Wormy, Once again, thanks for your reply. My Mom had macular degeneration and was hardly able to see before she died. Forunately, none of my tests at my opthamogist have shown me positive for any of these symptoms. However, I did have cataracts in both eyes and had them both surgically removed and replaced with implants about 2 years ago. Now my vision is 20/30 and I can see things again! I do need glasses for reading but that is a small price to pay for my overall improvement . I do find that my eyes are very sensitive to light and I wear sunglasses with a high UV blockage whenever I am outside in bright sunlight.

tpik
09-25-2002, 01:35 AM
I am running XP and use a small free program that will toggle the capslock key and also the insert key to enabled or disabled. I got the link at PC911. It works great in XP. Then there is another small proggie called zdkeymap that lets you disable or change ant key on your keyboard. It can be found at ZDNet. Works well with 98 and I think ME too.

www.brainsystems.com

Moski
09-25-2002, 12:09 PM
My XP puter just got the beep no blink:(

Wormy
09-25-2002, 12:21 PM
Like I said before, There are no certain things about computers !

vicegrip
10-05-2002, 01:45 AM
works ok on 2k, beep but no flash.......