PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD Drawer want open.

Nightsweet
07-05-2008, 10:13 PM
I can't get my DVD/cd drawer to open. In my old ME computer there was a small hole that you could insert a straightened out paper clip and trip it to open. There isn't a small hole in my Vista computer to open. Is there some other way to get the drawer to open? Nightsweet.

Doc2626
07-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Nightsweet-

I have never seen a CD or DVD drive without that pinhole. Is it possible that your computer has a false panel on it, that covers that hole? I have a Fry's Electronics system that they covered with their plastic face panel, which I had to remove once in order to open my old DVD drive.

sharber60
07-05-2008, 11:10 PM
If not finding the small hole, in "My Computer" if you right click on the CD
Drive & choose eject, does that work? Is there a stuck CD in the drive
that is out of position?

Cooter2001
07-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Nightsweet-

I have never seen a CD or DVD drive without that pinhole. Is it possible that your computer has a false panel on it, that covers that hole? I have a Fry's Electronics system that they covered with their plastic face panel, which I had to remove once in order to open my old DVD drive.

My Acer Aspire ASE380 desktop with Vista Ultimate has a flip down door and then the tray comes out an there is NO pinhole on it.....

As for how to get it open manually at this time I don't know as I haven't had to attempt to open it manually.......

I either push the open button on the front of the tower or open it like sharber60 suggested........

Doc2626
07-05-2008, 11:38 PM
My Acer Aspire ASE380 desktop with Vista Ultimate has a flip down door and then the tray comes out an there is NO pinhole on it.....

As for how to get it open manually at this time I don't know as I haven't had to attempt to open it manually.......

I either push the open button on the front of the tower or open it like sharber60 suggested........

Okay, I've never seen one with a flip-down door. (I guess I've led a sheltered life. :p )
If your's is a flip down door, Nightweet, I have no ideas, then.
I do know that trying to force or pry it is very risky. Most drives have plastic (nylon) parts in their linkage, and forcing is likely to cause damage. It may need to be taken to a tech., which will cost money, unfortunately. The better choice would be if you have a friend or family member that could stop by and take a look at it, that is mechanically inclined. It is most likely a mechanical issue, perhaps even as simple as cleaning and lubricating, but of course, you'll need to get it opened first.

Ghecko
07-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Nightsweet

When this happened to my brother, he called a tech who told him.....

Whatever program my brother was using to burn the drive software may have locked it to a closed state and it did not let go. The tech said that rebooting his pc should fix it.

Guess what.....he rebooted, and it was fixed! :cool:

Hope this works for you too..... :)

Nightsweet
07-06-2008, 08:48 AM
I appreciated all the suggestions that all of you suggested but none of them would work to open it. I got the message that there was an error when trying to eject the DVD drive E when I tried right clicking om My Computer and selecting eject on the drop down menu. There isn't a cd in the drive but if I could manage to get it to open, would it ruin a cd to just leave it in the cd drawer permanently ? I have one computer game that I like to play. but it requires the cd to play it, thus my question. TIA. Nightsweet.

pesach
07-06-2008, 09:09 AM
I appreciated all the suggestions that all of you suggested but none of them would work to open it. I got the message that there was an error when trying to eject the DVD drive E when I tried right clicking om My Computer and selecting eject on the drop down menu. There isn't a cd in the drive but if I could manage to get it to open, would it ruin a cd to just leave it in the cd drawer permanently ? I have one computer game that I like to play. but it requires the cd to play it, thus my question. TIA. Nightsweet.

A good whack on the box might work as long as your praying using the following words. "Jesus, Mary and Joseph. #$%^#$*&%^Amen." :D

This method usually works after 2 or 3 attempts.

sharber60
07-06-2008, 09:15 AM
What is the make & model number of your Vista PC?

May need to go to the manufacturer`s site for your model & see if there
are any fixes there for this problem..

Nightsweet
07-06-2008, 10:18 PM
What is the make & model number of your Vista PC?

May need to go to the manufacturer`s site for your model & see if there
are any fixes there for this problem..

My computer is an HP Pavilion Vista Home Premium,model # a1520 e. Is this all the information that you need ? Nightsweet.

sharber60
07-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Hope this helps you open the drive..

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07168&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3369453&rule=21251&lang=en

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?rule=21251&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3369453&lang=en

Select from the list below

CD/DVD Drive is not Detected (Windows Vista)

Drive Cannot Read Purchased Discs in Windows Vista

Drive Cannot Write to Writable Discs (Windows Vista)

No Sound When Playing a Music CD

Opening a Stuck CD or DVD Drive Tray

CD or DVD Drive May be Unusable After installing Apple iTunes (Windows Vista)

sharber60
07-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Chat with an Online Technician

Our team of knowledgeable online technicians are here to help you with your product issues or questions. Please complete the form below, and then press the Connect button to start your chat session. For first time users we provide a short overview about the chat user interface.

Note to customers with pop-up blockers: We may not be able to start your chat session if you have pop-ups blocked on your computer. Please make sure pop-up blockers are disabled in your browser

http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/ipgna/caller/chat.asp?dd=pavd&productName=HP+Pavilion+a1520e+CTO+Desktop+PC&productCategory=12455&SCOID=82702&PSOID=2512432&aoid=null&lang=en&cc=us