PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace faulty driver on kernel stack

MikeN.
07-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Have the old BSOD appearing suddenly. I ran verifier.exe to check unsigned drivers and found a few related to a Sonic product, uninstalled that, rebooted. Same problem. Checked Device Manager to see if I had any yellow or red checks, everything was fine there.

Checked Event Viewer but nothing showed up there at all.

Here is part of the blue screen error message I get:

a device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught.

the faulty driver currently on the kernel stack must be replaced with a working version.

beginning dump of physical memory
dump physical memory to disk: (1 thru 75) contact your administrator..."

I also ran sfc /scannow and everything seemed to check out there also. Havent been able to run any scans with security tools as the machine boots up right to the end and then quits. Getting ready to try Safe Mode and run scans. Any help would be appreciated greatly, thank you.

XP SP2 fully updated. Sygate firewall, Avira, Spysweeper,Spyware Dr running in the background.

MikeN.
07-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Update: Deleted what verifier.exe had found originally, rebooted, reran that and found a few more unsigned drivers. A few were associated with Sygate, the firewall I had used for years. Deleted all files found by verifier,(5) and installed Online Armor.

So far, everything appears fine, only been 2 hours though, will see.

Ed Hart
07-19-2008, 03:13 AM
Michael Niemela, possible you're a 'victim' of the 'update bug'? Did you formerly use Zone Alarm? Use automatic updates? One of the latest Windows updates and ZA didn't play well together and the update changed a security setting in ZA, causing all sorts of problems. Seems the simple solution was to update ZA. That seems to fix it. Maybe it's just your firewall? Changing it over seems to have done the trick.
HTH. :)
Ed.

MikeN.
07-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Nope, dont use ZA, it would appear that everything is fine now that I deleted a few files that were not signed. No BSOD and machine humming along.