PDA

View Full Version : screen resolution changed & icons all have arrows

goldy319
10-02-2008, 07:11 PM
hi , i don't know how this happened but everything was fine with my screen resolution. i'm running windows vista home premium, ie7, norton 360 & have a gateway 22" lcd high definition monitor.

also all of my icons show up with shortcut arrows on them. how do i get rid of those arrows & also my resolution is set at 800x600. everything is so big, i really don't even know how this did this on it's own. can anyone please advise me on what to do. tia. btw i also tried two notches down on the resolution but it didn't look right.

if i do a system restore would that put it back to the way it was? thanks again.

MMFELL
10-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Resolution should be 1680x1050 see http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDSpecs.htm right click on desktop and select personalise and change resolution.

Icons with shortcut arrows is normal, but see http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-shortcut-icon-arrow-overlay-in-windows-vista/ on how to remove them.

goldy319
10-02-2008, 08:23 PM
mmfell, thank you so much for replying, i'll go to those links & see what i can do. thanks again. hopefully things will go back to normal. also, would a system restore help before all of this changed on me?

MMFELL
10-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Yes it should do so.

goldy319
10-02-2008, 09:54 PM
hi mmfell, well i did a system restore & it said an unidentified error came up & it couldn't be restored & asked do i want to undo the system restore if i felt it didn't solve the problem or if it made it worse.

well it didn't solve the problem & it didn't make it worse, do you think i should undo the restore. sorry to bother you with this i'm just not sure what to do. also when i put my resolution to what you said it made everything really really small.

this has me so baffled how my screen just changed on its own, i'm the only one who uses the computer so i just can't figure it out. even my webshots screensaver is bigger. oh well i'll see if you get back to me & see what you suggest with undoing the system restore. thanks again.

btw, i went to those links you gave me & i'm going to d/l the arrow one & see if that works. i didn't have those before either, go figure!!!

Sunny
10-03-2008, 02:20 AM
Goldy, shortcut arrows will appear on any shortcuts you add in Vista but My Computer, Recycle Bin those types of shortcuts should not have arrows. Do they?
To adjust your resolution right click a blank area of your desktop and choose personalize. Click the display settings link and use the slider under resolution to adjust the setting. Slide it to the left a notch, apply the setting and see if that is better for you. If not adjust it a bit more.
Did you install or change anything right before the problem started?

MMFELL
10-03-2008, 09:27 AM
hi mmfell, well i did a system restore & it said an unidentified error came up & it couldn't be restored & asked do i want to undo the system restore if i felt it didn't solve the problem or if it made it worse.

well it didn't solve the problem & it didn't make it worse, do you think i should undo the restore. sorry to bother you with this i'm just not sure what to do. also when i put my resolution to what you said it made everything really really small.

this has me so baffled how my screen just changed on its own, i'm the only one who uses the computer so i just can't figure it out. even my webshots screensaver is bigger. oh well i'll see if you get back to me & see what you suggest with undoing the system restore. thanks again.

btw, i went to those links you gave me & i'm going to d/l the arrow one & see if that works. i didn't have those before either, go figure!!!Forget the restore then.

Change the screen resolution to what I recommended and then alter the DPI and see if thats more acceptable - see http://itsvista.com/2007/01/itsvista-tip-29-use-vistas-dpi-support-to-scale-your-user-interface/

N5RDC
10-03-2008, 12:10 PM
"btw i also tried two notches down on the resolution but it didn't look right."

If your icons are too large, you need to increase your resolution, not decrease it.
Were you by any chance playing a game just prior to this? Sometimes an older game or other application is designed to work at a lower resolution & will change it, but not reset it when you exit.
BTW, you can also click on a desktop icon once just to highlight it, then hold down the CTRL key while moving your mouse wheel to change the size of all the icons on the desktop.

goldy319
10-03-2008, 03:21 PM
thank you to all that replied to my post,

Sunny, i downloaded mostly programs & there were never no shortcut arrows on the icons. i also had the icons set at medium & then set them to classic just to see if they would change, & i think but i'm not 100% sure that's when the arrows came on the icons.

The answer to arrows on recycle bin & computer is no there are no arrows, only on my documents because that wasn't on my desktop so when i put an icon there an arrow was on it.

I didn't install or change anything except my power options plan, i don't know if that had anything to do with it but that's the only thing i did & it seems after it went into standby mode & i woke it up my resolution was different & then the screen flickered I forgot what i did) & then the arrows were added to the icons.

mmfell, how do i alter the dpi, & also you recommend that i don't undo the system restore correct??

n5rdc, no i wasn't playing any games, also thank you for that info on clicking on the icon to change the size, i didn't know that you can do that.

you are all so wonderful & helpful, that's why i'll always be a worldstart member. i really can't say enough about you people. thanks again, love ya's. :) :yourock:

MMFELL
10-03-2008, 10:37 PM
alter the DPI and see if thats more acceptable - see http://itsvista.com/2007/01/itsvista-tip-29-use-vistas-dpi-support-to-scale-your-user-interface/ All our club PCs that use Vista also have DPI set to 120 minimum as they use 1440x900 widescreens and text is too small for older eyes!

Sunny
10-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Goldy, as far as I know the shortcut arrows are normal/default. Some icons will not have them, My Computer, Recycle bin for example but shortcuts to folder and programs will. You can edit the registry to remove them but that should only be done if you are comfortable with that and if you back it up first. I personally would not do it just to remove shortcut arrows. There is a utility that some people use but I have not used it so cannot comment on the effectiveness of it. http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-vista/how-to-remove-shortcut-arrows-from-vista-desktop-icons/
Did you try adjusting the screen resolution like I suggested? Depends on the monitor what you should use and what will look best.