PDA

View Full Version : Gateway E2100 Help on Bootup

tman80
09-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Hello,
Recently I was given a LG Flatron Wide 19" that went bad and told if I could fix it I could keep it.
After doing some Googling over the weekend on that model and how to take apart and what could be wrong, I thought two capacitors looked bad. So I went to Radio Shack and bought two capacitors for $3.16 counting tax and installed them in the unit and turned it on. It has been working for 2 days now with out any problems. So I now have a 19" flat screen for my computer for $3.16. Already have got my money's worth out of it.

Now for my main problem.
I was also given a Gateway Matxhrn shl E2100 and told if I could fix it I could have it also.
All I know is it came out of an office environment and the person who got it took the HD, DVD rom, and Floppy Drive. Those I have and installed them in the unit. DVD and Floppy all came from a working computer that I no longer use. HD is a spare that I have installed a vanilla copy of XP SP3 Home and updated last night as master on my HP Pavilion. So I know it works.
After installing all drives and turning on the Gateway, I got the Gateway splash screen and then this error:

PXE-E53: No Boot file name received

I think that has something to do with it being on an office network, but can not turn off anything in the BIOS to make it boot.
Anybody have any suggestions I can try to make it boot normal?
Here are the specs on it:
Gateway
Intel Pentium 4
2.8 GHz
Windows XP Home SP3
512 MB

Thanks

MMFELL
09-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Its to do with network booting I think see http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/pxe53-no-boot-filename-received/5818.html more on http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZEZ_en-GBAU225AU225&q=No+Boot+file+name+received

I would suggest a clean install with a XP CD not an install created on another PC. XP is PC specific and creates boot info re the PC its installed on. Once you get it to work I would add another 512MB of RAM. More info on your new PC http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/E2100_Series/2800553/2800553nv.shtml

tman80
09-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Its to do with network booting I think see http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/pxe53-no-boot-filename-received/5818.html more on http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZEZ_en-GBAU225AU225&q=No+Boot+file+name+received

I would suggest a clean install with a XP CD not an install created on another PC. XP is PC specific and creates boot info re the PC its installed on. Once you get it to work I would add another 512MB of RAM. More info on your new PC http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/E2100_Series/2800553/2800553nv.shtml

Thanks MMFELL,
I have already been looking at the sites you posted. I will try the new install since the HD is one I use for testing purposes. I know it will boot to the xp cd as I tried that to see if it would work but did not let it finish.
Will report back tomorrow.

Sunny
09-15-2009, 01:21 AM
That error is probably because the computer is set to boot from the network. Can you get into the BIOS? There is a setting in the BIOS that allows a network boot it is usually labeled as PXE boot or network boot. If you can get into the BIOS disable that. You can also try removing the network card if it is an add on card that can be removed.

If not try resetting the BIOS. Remove the CMOS battery and leave it out for 5-10 minutes.
If that does not work try a new CMOS battery. There may also be a jumper on the MB to reset the BIOS.

Phil
09-15-2009, 12:18 PM

I would suggest a clean install with a XP CD not an install created on another PC. XP is PC specific and creates boot info re the PC its installed on. [/url]

I agree that this may be the best way to get your boot file established. If you have the ability to create a clone image of the "vanilla copy of XP SP3 Home and updated last night" that could then be used to restore your brand new XP installation without affecting the new boot up file.

tman80
09-15-2009, 01:12 PM
That error is probably because the computer is set to boot from the network. Can you get into the BIOS? There is a setting in the BIOS that allows a network boot it is usually labeled as PXE boot or network boot. If you can get into the BIOS disable that. You can also try removing the network card if it is an add on card that can be removed.

If not try resetting the BIOS. Remove the CMOS battery and leave it out for 5-10 minutes.
If that does not work try a new CMOS battery. There may also be a jumper on the MB to reset the BIOS.

I agree that this may be the best way to get your boot file established. If you have the ability to create a clone image of the "vanilla copy of XP SP3 Home and updated last night" that could then be used to restore your brand new XP installation without affecting the new boot up file.

Ok, Here is what has happened so far.
I installed xp on the test HD and windows booted up. The problem is I only have 4 bits display, I cannot connect to the internet, Device manager has yellow exclamation marks on these items:

ethernet controller
mutimedia audio controller
video controller(vga compatible)

I uninstalled the ethernet in device manager and installed a Linksys ethernet card from another working computer and put the cd in the cd drive and turned it on. Still would not connect to the internet. Took out HD and put in a clone of HD of this HP and now all it does is it goes to the Gateway splash screen and then to the screen that has the "start in safe mode" down to "start normal". No matter which one I choose I end back where I started. I am in a loop. I have not tried removing the battery yet. I have to disconnect this computer and then hook up the other one. Takes a little while as I don't move as fast as I used to.

Phil
09-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Ok, Here is what has happened so far.
I installed xp on the test HD and windows booted up. The problem is I only have 4 bits display, I cannot connect to the internet, Device manager has yellow exclamation marks on these items:

ethernet controller
mutimedia audio controller
video controller(vga compatible)
You need drivers for these items - go to the mfrs web sites for those

I uninstalled the ethernet in device manager and installed a Linksys ethernet card from another working computer and put the cd in the cd drive and turned it on. Still would not connect to the internet. Took out HD and put in a clone of HD of this HP WRONG and now all it does is it goes to the Gateway splash screen and then to the screen that has the "start in safe mode" down to "start normal". No matter which one I choose I end back where I started. I am in a loop. I have not tried removing the battery yet. I have to disconnect this computer and then hook up the other one. Takes a little while as I don't move as fast as I used to.
Decide which disk you want in there and on it install XP from the XP disk. Then install the necessary drivers which you need to get from the various mfrs. and download to a pc with internet. Transfer the driver files to a disk or thumb drive etc. and install on the new pc. Then install an AV program and firewall program. Then do all of your updates and install other programs as needed.

Probably best to forget about a clone image.

tman80
09-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Got tired and in pain, so I quit digging the hole deeper and took a nap.

Came back and put the Linksys ethernet card back in and ran the installation cd again. This time it worked and now I am on the internet and have D/Led all updates. I am slowly making progress. I am trying to determine what I need to D/L to get the display to work. Not sure what one to D/L.

Phil
09-15-2009, 08:55 PM
I am trying to determine what I need to D/L to get the display to work. Not sure what one to D/L.
Sounds like you need the video driver. Go to your video card mfr site and download and install the correct driver for your model.

tman80
09-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Sounds like you need the video driver. Go to your video card mfr site and download and install the correct driver for your model.

Thanks Phil,
After D/Ling the files and going back and reading the instructions I saw what I was doing wrong. I now have the display set and there are no yellow marks in Device Manager. Still wonder why I had to put in a ethernet card. I guess the on board one is dead.
I can now set this HD to my specs as a vanilla copy and then clone it to a bigger drive and then transfer everything from the HP HD to that drive.

I believe I have come out smelling like a rose or a good steak dinner considering the amount of money I have in the computer and the monitor.:):):)

Thanks again everyone who helped.