PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of Yahoo as the default search engine?

elocs
04-20-2010, 04:40 PM
I am using Firefox/2.0.0.20 and I've seen the

]Step 1
Firefox
Go to [Installation Directory]\searchplugins

Step 2
Delete Yahoo.gif & Yahoo.src
(Delete the corresponding files for removing any other search engine)

Step 3
Restart your browser

The problem is that it assumes I know where the installation directory is and I don't.

I've tried this one to no avail:

To change it back to normal:
#1 Type in about:config in firefox, press enter
#2 search for keyword.URL on the search bar.
#3 it will come up with something with yahoo in the string. Right click and select Modify or Double Click on it.
#4 Type or paste in this http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&q=

Yes, I can eliminate Yahoo in the Manage Search Engines, but it constantly returns. This has only been happening for the last few weeks so Yahoo must have been in something I downloaded. This is simply more annoying than anything else, but I've had enough of Yahoo. I'd love to get it off my computer altogether.

TIA

Sunny
04-20-2010, 04:54 PM
In Firefox click the arrow next to the search bar and choose manage search engines. Select Yahoo and click remove.
Also in Firefox click the tools menu > add-ons. Look for anything related to Yahoo and remove it.
Go to control panel > add/remove programs. Find anything related to Yahoo you do not want and uninstall it. Reboot the computer.

MikeN.
04-20-2010, 05:37 PM
You are also using a very outdated version of Firefox.

I am using Firefox/2.0.0.20 it is now up to 3.6.3

elocs
04-20-2010, 06:00 PM
In Firefox click the arrow next to the search bar and choose manage search engines. Select Yahoo and click remove.
Also in Firefox click the tools menu > add-ons. Look for anything related to Yahoo and remove it.
Go to control panel > add/remove programs. Find anything related to Yahoo you do not want and uninstall it. Reboot the computer.

I'd go into "manage search engines" half a dozen times a day to remove Yahoo, but it would always return as the default search engine.

HOWEVER, going into "add-ons" did the trick. There was nothing overtly tied to Yahoo, so I removed anything that had to do with search and that seems to have worked.

Thanks for the help because it was ultimately easier than the other things I had read online. The important thing is that it worked.

elocs
04-20-2010, 06:04 PM
You are also using a very outdated version of Firefox.

I am using Firefox/2.0.0.20 it is now up to 3.6.3

Yes and I am using it deliberately since when I update the Firefox 3.6.3 disables my printer, also it dumps my old bookmarks. So I'll stick with my version or I'll dump Firefox altogether. I have used both Safari and Opera and I like them as well.

Sunny
04-21-2010, 01:58 AM
I'd go into "manage search engines" half a dozen times a day to remove Yahoo, but it would always return as the default search engine.

HOWEVER, going into "add-ons" did the trick. There was nothing overtly tied to Yahoo, so I removed anything that had to do with search and that seems to have worked.

Thanks for the help because it was ultimately easier than the other things I had read online. The important thing is that it worked.

You're welcome. Concerning your bookmarks in Firefox, do you regularly backup your data? If not you should. You want 3 copies of any data that is important to you in three separate physical locations. See my blog for more information on backing up.
http://shelly-backingupyourdata.blogspot.com/

You can export your Firefox bookmarks, then if you loose them you can import them again.
http://internetexplorerfirefoximportexport.blogspot.com/

What happens to your printer when installing the most current version of Firefox. That can most likely be fixed.