PDA

View Full Version : How to uninstall unwanted program?

Fuchsia
07-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Lately I've been noticing that many of the photos on store sites are obliterated by a list of things from a search engine. It's annoying, at best, and today I decided to try to find out more about it.

I discovered that there's a company called Contenko, and they have a program called Yontoo Layers Runtime 1.10.01, which somehow managed to make it into my programs, despite all my efforts to keep my computer safe and uncluttered. I followed their instructions to uninstall the program, but keep getting an error message stating, "Tarma Installer, Setup initialization error." I e-mailed Contenko, but they're not answering me. Not only that, but I discovered their WOT rating is very poor.

Any ideas as to how I can uninstall this unwanted piece of :eek:? It's never shown up in any of my scans, but I still don't want it, and fear what else it may have done to my computer. Thanks!~Bountifully,

yorkshire lass
07-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Lately I've been noticing that many of the photos on store sites are obliterated by a list of things from a search engine. It's annoying, at best, and today I decided to try to find out more about it.

I discovered that there's a company called Contenko, and they have a program called Yontoo Layers Runtime 1.10.01, which somehow managed to make it into my programs, despite all my efforts to keep my computer safe and uncluttered. I followed their instructions to uninstall the program, but keep getting an error message stating, "Tarma Installer, Setup initialization error." I e-mailed Contenko, but they're not answering me. Not only that, but I discovered their WOT rating is very poor.

Any ideas as to how I can uninstall this unwanted piece of :eek:? It's never shown up in any of my scans, but I still don't want it, and fear what else it may have done to my computer. Thanks!~Bountifully,

Not wishing to hijack your thread Fuschia,and apologies if this is not linked to your problem but I've noticed recently that when posts have been made with digital images uploaded with Pixentral, then there are sometimes images of advertisements running along the bottom of the picture and I'm wondering if this is the same company that you have got issues with.. It will be interesting to see if these are connected in any way. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will be along to inform us !

Tercr6
07-26-2012, 03:00 PM

Here's from a search :

NOTE: Uninstalling Yontoo will make ALL Platform Apps cease to function!

If there's a single piece of functionality you no longer want, but still want to use others, consider disabling the specific Yontoo App individually.

Uninstall from Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome (PC): Go to the Windows Start Menu and then to Control Panel > Add/Remove ("Programs & Features" in Vista/Windows 7) and click "Remove" next to 'Yontoo'.

Uninstall from Firefox or Google Chrome (Mac): In the top menu, go to Tools > Add-ons. Select the Yontoo logo and then click Uninstall. Note: You cannot uninstall from PC with these steps, see instructions above for PC.

how can I get Yontoo Layers Runtime from trying to run ads on by computer

That message is telling you that you did install Yontoo Layers for PageRage, which allows you to customize your profile with free Facebook layouts. The browser app is ad-supported but be aware that the company also offers ad-free layouts through PageRage Premium: http://www.pagerage.com/premium.aspx

I love this app but if you would like to uninstall, you can by going to your start menu> control panel > programs > uninstall both Yontoo Layers and the PageRage toolbar. More detailed instructions can be found on their website: http://www.pagerage.com/uninstall-pagerage.aspx

And.

http://www.google.com/search?q=remove+Yontoo+Layers+Runtime+error&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7PRFB_enUS485

Have you tried in safe mode ?

MikeN.
07-26-2012, 03:43 PM

\
Strongly suggest you update Malwarebytes and run a Full scan. If you dont have Spybot, I would install that also. Do not use the Tea Timer function, can opt out during installation. When you look for updates, do not choose Immunization definitions and do not Immunize with it. It interferes with Spywareblaster immunizations. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

http://www.systemlookup.com/CLSID/56875-YontooIEClient_dll.html

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9327

Fuchsia
07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Not wishing to hijack your thread Fuschia,and apologies if this is not linked to your problem but I've noticed recently that when posts have been made with digital images uploaded with Pixentral, then there are sometimes images of advertisements running along the bottom of the picture and I'm wondering if this is the same company that you have got issues with.. It will be interesting to see if these are connected in any way. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will be along to inform us !No problem, YL. We're all here to learn and get help. Hope you get the answer you need.

Fuchsia
07-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Here's from a search :

And.

http://www.google.com/search?q=remove+Yontoo+Layers+Runtime+error&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7PRFB_enUS485

Have you tried in safe mode ?Since WS didn't quote everything you wrote, please bear with me as I back and forth between two windows, hoping I'll make sense of my reply.

I know little about Apps, as I have no mobile devices other than a rarely-used cell phone, into which I've downloaded nothing. I remember looking into Page Rage and Yontoo when I joined Facebook early last year, but thought all I'd done was bookmark them until I had more time to play with them. Checking my Firefox plug-ins/add-ons, however, I discovered that I had Yontoo 1.2.00, which I deleted. That solved my problem with pictures in websites being obliterated by their search engine advertising, but Yontoo Layers Runtime 1.10.01 is still appearing in my programs/Add-Remove, despite restarting my computer after deleting the add-on. Looks like it got rid of the one, but not the other.

I'd still like to remove the one that remains in my programs, but am continuing to get the same error message. I didn't install the Page Rage toolbar (always avoid those pesky extra toolbars that hog so much space), and show nothing in my add/remove programs under Page Rage.

I checked out the Google search, but found nothing that helped. Everybody seems to be as puzzled as I.

Haven't tried Safe Mode, but always forget how to do that anyway, and would need instructions. Somebody in the Google search said he'd tried it, and it didn't work.

I'm glad that my initial problem's been resolved, but would still like to delete the one in my programs. If I haven't found time to pretty-up my Facebook page by now, I seriously doubt I'll ever get to it at my age. :( I really hate programs that take over your computer and do things that have nothing to do with the real reason you installed it in the first place.

Thank you for your time, T. It's much appreciated.

Tercr6
07-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Since WS didn't quote everything you wrote, please bear with me as I back and forth between two windows, hoping I'll make sense of my reply.

I know little about Apps, as I have no mobile devices other than a rarely-used cell phone, into which I've downloaded nothing. I remember looking into Page Rage and Yontoo when I joined Facebook early last year, but thought all I'd done was bookmark them until I had more time to play with them. Checking my Firefox plug-ins/add-ons, however, I discovered that I had Yontoo 1.2.00, which I deleted. That solved my problem with pictures in websites being obliterated by their search engine advertising, but Yontoo Layers Runtime 1.10.01 is still appearing in my programs/Add-Remove, despite restarting my computer after deleting the add-on. Looks like it got rid of the one, but not the other.

I'd still like to remove the one that remains in my programs, but am continuing to get the same error message. I didn't install the Page Rage toolbar (always avoid those pesky extra toolbars that hog so much space), and show nothing in my add/remove programs under Page Rage.

I checked out the Google search, but found nothing that helped. Everybody seems to be as puzzled as I.

Haven't tried Safe Mode, but always forget how to do that anyway, and would need instructions. Somebody in the Google search said he'd tried it, and it didn't work.

I'm glad that my initial problem's been resolved, but would still like to delete the one in my programs. If I haven't found time to pretty-up my Facebook page by now, I seriously doubt I'll ever get to it at my age. :( I really hate programs that take over your computer and do things that have nothing to do with the real reason you installed it in the first place.

Thank you for your time, T. It's much appreciated.

Safe Mode. Restart PC keep tapping F8 Key. Select Safe Mode.

Revouninstaller was also a suggestion that did not work for one poster ,but you might give it a try .

Pick Freeware Version.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Screen shots and tutorial.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_how_to.html

I'd also suggest Mike's Advice in #4.

Fuchsia
07-26-2012, 06:55 PM
\
Strongly suggest you update Malwarebytes and run a Full scan. If you dont have Spybot, I would install that also. Do not use the Tea Timer function, can opt out during installation. When you look for updates, do not choose Immunization definitions and do not Immunize with it. It interferes with Spywareblaster immunizations. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

http://www.systemlookup.com/CLSID/56875-YontooIEClient_dll.html

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9327Hi, Mike! Thanks for the reminder. I used to update all of my anti-malware programs every morning, right after turning on my computer, and did a full scan with each once a week. Lately, however, I've been extremely busy, and it kind of got away from me; I've been updating only about once a week or so, and doing scans even less than that.

I did the Malwarebytes update/scan, and found nothing. Even checked a few older logs, and didn't find Page Rage or Yontoo. Updated everything else, including Spybot, but don't understand what you mean by immunization definitions. Also checked out your other two links, which seem to contradict each other. Hmmm...: confused: Any other ideas? Thanks for your time!

MikeN.
07-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi, Mike! Thanks for the reminder. I used to update all of my anti-malware programs every morning, right after turning on my computer, and did a full scan with each once a week. Lately, however, I've been extremely busy, and it kind of got away from me; I've been updating only about once a week or so, and doing scans even less than that.

I did the Malwarebytes update/scan, and found nothing. Even checked a few older logs, and didn't find Page Rage or Yontoo. Updated everything else, including Spybot, but don't understand what you mean by immunization definitions. Also checked out your other two links, which seem to contradict each other. Hmmm...: confused: Any other ideas? Thanks for your time!

If you didnt understand about Immunization defs then you didnt look closely at the list of downloads available when you updated Spybot. Those 2 links have nothing to do with each other, one refers to Yontoo the other to Tarma.

If you want to see if anything from either of those is presently running or installed

Download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr

Be sure follow the instructions below carefully!

• If your AV has a script blocker, please disable it
• DoubleClick on dds.scr to run the tool

* A command box will open, displaying added information for your reading pleasure while DDS completes its scan.
* Upon completion, a Dialog Box should open instructing you to save and post the TWO resulting logs (DDS.txt & Attach.txt).

• Copy&Paste both the DDS.txt and the DDS Attach.txt into your post. These logs are very, very long and will take more than one post to show them all. You will have to split the logs to do this so be sure to try to not lose anything.

Tercr6
07-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Removing Yontoo:

Yontoo is a typical windows program that can easily be uninstalled using your operating system’s standard mechanism. On Windows, you can access this by going to the Start Menu, selecting Control Panel and then selecting Add or Remove Programs (or Programs and Features on some versions of Windows). Once this Control Panel opens, scroll down to Yontoo and double-click on its icon. Follow the onscreen instructions to remove the program.

Troubleshooting:

Sometimes other programs may alter or even remove necessary files that Yontoo needs to uninstall properly. If you were unsuccessful removing Yontoo as described in the previous paragraph, please download and run the following YontooUninstaller.exe which can be found at the following location.

http://download.yontoo.com/YontooUninstaller.exe

Running this uninstaller will uninstall Yontoo from your computer, including removing it from the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel.

Fuchsia
07-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Safe Mode. Restart PC keep tapping F8 Key. Select Safe Mode.

Revouninstaller was also a suggestion that did not work for one poster ,but you might give it a try .

Pick Freeware Version.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Screen shots and tutorial.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_how_to.html

I'd also suggest Mike's Advice in #4.What do I do after I tap into Safe Mode? Sorry, but I've only gone there in the rarest of instances, and then only with someone to guide me. I get a little (actually a lot :p) anxious when I have to do anything "behind the scenes," so tend to avoid it as much as possible.

As for Revo, I read that woman's description of her Revo Uninstaller experience, and that, too, made me nervous. I know, I know, I'm just a big wuss, but experience has conditioned me to be that way. :rolleyes: Think I'll wait at least 'til tomorrow, in case there are any other suggestions.

As you can see, I answered Mike while you were advising me. At least now my initial problem has ceased, but I'm determined to get rid of the program altogether, if I can do it without getting too confused or messing up something else by accident. Thanks, T!

Tercr6
07-26-2012, 07:35 PM
What do I do after I tap into Safe Mode? Sorry, but I've only gone there in the rarest of instances, and then only with someone to guide me. I get a little (actually a lot :p) anxious when I have to do anything "behind the scenes," so tend to avoid it as much as possible.

As for Revo, I read that woman's description of her Revo Uninstaller experience, and that, too, made me nervous. I know, I know, I'm just a big wuss, but experience has conditioned me to be that way. :rolleyes: Think I'll wait at least 'til tomorrow, in case there are any other suggestions.

As you can see, I answered Mike while you were advising me. At least now my initial problem has ceased, but I'm determined to get rid of the program altogether, if I can do it without getting too confused or messing up something else by accident. Thanks, T!

Try the uninstaller I mentioned in #10.

Fuchsia
07-26-2012, 09:23 PM
If you didnt understand about Immunization defs then you didnt look closely at the list of downloads available when you updated Spybot. Those 2 links have nothing to do with each other, one refers to Yontoo the other to Tarma.

If you want to see if anything from either of those is presently running or installed

Download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr

Be sure follow the instructions below carefully!

• If your AV has a script blocker, please disable it
• DoubleClick on dds.scr to run the tool

* A command box will open, displaying added information for your reading pleasure while DDS completes its scan.
* Upon completion, a Dialog Box should open instructing you to save and post the TWO resulting logs (DDS.txt & Attach.txt).

• Copy&Paste both the DDS.txt and the DDS Attach.txt into your post. These logs are very, very long and will take more than one post to show them all. You will have to split the logs to do this so be sure to try to not lose anything.Hoo boy, it's all too much for this old woman's fried brain. :p Let's see if I can make any sense to you. I don't remember any list of downloads available when I updated Spybot. All I do is click on the update, and it updates (unless I'm misremembering) to the current date. Oh, okay, I think in Spybot it does tell you what it's downloading/installing, but I've never really checked them, because I have no idea what they actually are, and have to assume that they're safe, especially in a program that's been recommended by many here at WS. I did know about Teatime(?) from previous threads, and always uncheck the Teatime update because I know it's not necessary.

As for Yontoo and Tarma, I assumed that, if I was trying to uninstall Yontoo, and was getting an error message about Tarma that Tarma must have something to do with Yontoo. Sometimes I just don't understand how we can be expected to keep any of this stuff straight; there's simply too much to have to learn, and there aren't enough hours in a person's lifetime to learn it all.

As for DDS, I'll have to give that a try tomorrow when my brain is fresher, because I can already see I'm going to get confused, as I recognize practically none of the terminology. For one thing, I have absolutely no idea what a script blocker is, nor how I'd find it in Avira. I do know about the logs being very lengthy and having to split them up into more than one post, and am glad you reminded me about that.

People like me must drive people like you crazy, Mike. You must get very frustrated by us, and I want you to know your help is much appreciated, even if I don't always understand everything. Thank you!

Fuchsia
07-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Removing Yontoo:

Yontoo is a typical windows program that can easily be uninstalled using your operating system’s standard mechanism. On Windows, you can access this by going to the Start Menu, selecting Control Panel and then selecting Add or Remove Programs (or Programs and Features on some versions of Windows). Once this Control Panel opens, scroll down to Yontoo and double-click on its icon. Follow the onscreen instructions to remove the program.

Troubleshooting:

Sometimes other programs may alter or even remove necessary files that Yontoo needs to uninstall properly. If you were unsuccessful removing Yontoo as described in the previous paragraph, please download and run the following YontooUninstaller.exe which can be found at the following location.

Running this uninstaller will uninstall Yontoo from your computer, including removing it from the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel.When I tried to install it, OnlineArmor says it's a virus or dangerous program and wants to block it. What should I do?

MikeN.
07-26-2012, 09:46 PM
When I tried to install it, OnlineArmor says it's a virus or dangerous program and wants to block it. What should I do?

You be the judge. Should have used WOT to check the link before even downloading it. You are trying to uninstall a program that is deemed to be adware, getting a download tool from the same site certainly would seem to be considered the same. You already mentioned WOT in your first post. Really need to learn how to use it more effectively to help you stay out of these situations. Right click that link T posted and see what WOT says about it. Of course, you have to be using Firefox for that to work I believe, dont think IE has that on the menu, couldnt tell you, dont ever use it.

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/download.yontoo.com

Hoo boy, it's all too much for this old woman's fried brain. :p Let's see if I can make any sense to you. I don't remember any list of downloads available when I updated Spybot. All I do is click on the update, and it updates (unless I'm misremembering) to the current date. Oh, okay, I think in Spybot it does tell you what it's downloading/installing, but I've never really checked them, because I have no idea what they actually are, and have to assume that they're safe, especially in a program that's been recommended by many here at WS. I did know about Teatime(?) from previous threads, and always uncheck the Teatime update because I know it's not necessary.

Look at my attachment a few posts back, it clearly shows the types of definitions you need to choose to download. Nothing about Tea Timer as I dont have that enabled. It does show however Immunization defs, that is what I told you not to bother to download but I also said, DO NOT use the Tea Timer function. If you chose that function when you installed Spybot then you would see Tea Timer updates on the download list.

This might help http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=62640
If you want to post those DDS logs, Avira wont affect it, just run the tool, copy and paste both logs, one sits behind the other when they are created

Fuchsia
07-26-2012, 10:25 PM
You be the judge. Should have used WOT to check the link before even downloading it. You are trying to uninstall a program that is deemed to be adware, getting a download tool from the same site certainly would seem to be considered the same. You already mentioned WOT in your first post. Really need to learn how to use it more effectively to help you stay out of these situations. Right click that link T posted and see what WOT says about it. Of course, you have to be using Firefox for that to work I believe, dont think IE has that on the menu, couldnt tell you, dont ever use it.

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/download.yontoo.com

Look at my attachment a few posts back, it clearly shows the types of definitions you need to choose to download. Nothing about Tea Timer as I dont have that enabled. It does show however Immunization defs, that is what I told you not to bother to download but I also said, DO NOT use the Tea Timer function. If you chose that function when you installed Spybot then you would see Tea Timer updates on the download list.

This might help http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=62640
If you want to post those DDS logs, Avira wont affect it, just run the tool, copy and paste both logs, one sits behind the other when they are createdOh, man, this is exactly why I get fearful about doing anything different with my computer. One little keystroke can send you into a never-ending computer crisis. Because Yontoo was offered by Firefox, I foolishly thought it was safe. I don't recall seeing a red ring in the bar that contains the WOT icon, but it was a long time ago, and I suppose I could have missed it.

I also didn't know that a right click on download links would automatically take you to the WOT review of that program, and really appreciate your teaching me that. I right clicked T's link, and it took me to a review of the Yontoo site, which, of course is very bad. I assume, therefore, that that link was provided by Yontoo itself, as another way to infect your computer even further, and I blocked it from installing and deleted the download. Immediately after blocking it, the following message popped up: "G:\DOCUMENTS\DOWNLOADS\YontooUninstaller.exe: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." Oy! :confused:

One quick note about WOT that has made me a little leery about taking all their warnings about some sites seriously. I've been warned to stay away from some sites by WOT that I knew for certain are perfectly fine (sorry, but can't remember which ones they are at the moment), which is very confusing. Unless I'm mistaken, they seem to base their judgment about the safety of a site strictly on reports from even one computer user, and someone with a grudge against a particular site or site owner could take advantage of that. Has that been anyone else's experience?

For future ref, I nearly always use Firefox, but also keep IE installed for things it can do that Firefox can't. Didn't mean to confuse you.

Thank you so much, Mike, for your help. I'll see about those logs tomorrow, when I can think more clearly.

MikeN.
07-26-2012, 10:30 PM
One quick note about WOT that has made me a little leery about taking all their warnings about some sites seriously. I've been warned to stay away from some sites by WOT that I knew for certain are perfectly fine (sorry, but can't remember which ones they are at the moment), which is very confusing. Unless I'm mistaken, they seem to base their judgment about the safety of a site strictly on reports from even one computer user, and someone with a grudge against a particular site or site owner could take advantage of that. Has that been anyone else's experience?

Yes, you need to read the posts on the WOT scorecard page and decide for yourself. Its not a perfect system but it does help tremendously.

The right click function does not take you automatically anywhere. You have to choose view WOT scorecard THEN you get taken to the scorecard page

Yontoo offered by Firefox???????? If you did a Google search for just Yontoo, the company site is at the top. Scorecard should have been enough to scare you away http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/yontoo.com