PDA

View Full Version : Zone Alarm vs. Spybot vs. Adaware

IsntLifeWendyful
06-29-2003, 04:23 PM
A few weeks ago I had a "malicous adware trojan", someone suggested that I download Adaware and I did. It found over 400 items.

But I've noticed while reading the board quite a few references to Zone Alarm, SpyBot and Spwareblaster.

Can some clarify these for me? Are they all pretty much the same or do they truly serve different purposes?

Thanks In Advance, :D

amb141
06-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Wendy

Zone Alarm is an applications based software firewall. It prevents unwanted connections from being made to your computer from the outside (by a hacker, for example), and it warns you when programs on your computer that you may be unaware of (including some spyware programs which "call home") try to contact other computers. Recent versions of ZA have also included some specific protection against spyware and trojan mischief. You NEED some type of firewall protection. Do a search here for many threads which discuss the MANY different choices in firewalls.

AdAware searches for and removes advertising components of software which you have added to your computer. The problem with adware and spyware components ("adware" and "spyware" are terms that are often used interchangably) is that they track your websurfing habits and report back to an ad server which targets you with appropriate ads. Most people find this invasive of their privacy. In addition, adware and spyware components waste CPU cycles, resources and memory. Spybotfunctions similarly to AdAware, although it is a much more versatile program (and therefore harder to understand and use). Spybot can also be used to "immunize" your computer from spyware/adware and worse. I have both Spybot and AdAware installed on my computer.

My understanding is that SpywareBlaster prevents spyware components from being added in the first place.

Hope this makes some sense.

alan

sj1183
06-29-2003, 04:50 PM
Hi Wendy,
Zonealarm is a firewall which when set up,will keep you invisible on the net.
Millions of users have selected ZoneAlarm as their basic Internet security solution. The award-winning personal firewall blocks dangerous Internet threats, guarding your PC from many of the tactics used by hackers and data thieves. For more complete protection from all threats—from email-borne viruses to privacy-violating cookies and web bugs.

Spybot s&d and ad-aware are programs that will find & get rid of spyware that's in your computer.Most of the people here at WS use spybot.

Spywareblaster works together with spybot.What spywareblaster does is prevent spyware from getting in your computer.

Take care.

IsntLifeWendyful
06-29-2003, 05:49 PM
Thanks Sandy and Alan!

You both explained it very well, thank you. I have Norton Internet Security which has a Personal Firewall as one of the components so I guess I would only be duplicating if I got Zone Alarm. As I said before I have Ad-aware so I guess I don't need SpyBot.

But I did download SpywareBlaster since it seems that's the only base I haven't covered, hopefully.

Thank you again for your help and patience. :)

(Still Learning)

Wendy

sj1183
06-29-2003, 05:58 PM
You're welcome Wendy.
Take care.

billm65
06-29-2003, 06:26 PM
I have all three and I have noticed that when Ad-Aware misses some spyware, then Spy-Bot usually picks it up and vice-versa. I just D/L Spyblaster today, so, not too sure how that will work...

Dizzy313
06-29-2003, 06:30 PM
I prefer SpywareGuard to SpywareBlaster. It works, read This Thread (http://bboard.worldstart.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7727) to see how well. :D I know a few people who decided to "test" it after reading that thread, all were satisfied with the results.

Dizzy

Crockett
06-29-2003, 07:15 PM
I like it when you are the Guinea Pig, Diz. :D
I, somehow missed that whole thread. Did you try the same trick with SpywareBlaster to see if that works at stopping you from downloading Hotbar?

Dizzy313
06-29-2003, 07:26 PM
I actually had SpywareBlaster at the time and it didn't stop anything. That may have been because SpywareGuard caught everything before SpywareBlaster had the chance, but I have since uninstalled SpywareBlaster. Since Spybot S & D has the Immunize feature, I figured having SpywareBlaster was redundant anyway.

I was bored the day that thread was posted. Heaven help you all when that happens, eh? :D

Diz

Crockett
06-29-2003, 07:34 PM
If I only had SpywareBlaster and SpyBot, I wouldn't get rid of the former because SpyBot says that it does a better job at controlling ActiveX stuff.
...but then there's SpywareGuard which I guess I'm gonna get right now. I'm just wondering if both are doing the same thing.

Dizzy313
06-29-2003, 07:42 PM
SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard work differently. SpywareGuard doesn't scan CLSIDs, it scans the files for signatures. If you try to run an executable file that is in the definitions, it will warn you and block it so that you can decide what you would like to do for yourself.

I should note that I don't recommend that people dump SpywareBlaster for SpywareGuard at all. I uninstalled it because I know how I run my system. I do not allow ActiveX, use browsers that don't allow ActiveX and don't download spyware - even Crockett says I am paranoid about the way I do my downloads, that should tell you something. :D

In short, they do different things. Get both. Use both. Have fun. Be young. Drink...water, Pepsi is bad for you.

Dizzy

Crockett
06-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Thinking about this...I'm like you in that I'm way too careful in needing any of these 2 products.
Who am I kidding?....I never had spyware and never will. I meticulously check out all avenues on any product I want to download before I actually download it.
But, it's fun anyways! :D

BookLady
06-29-2003, 08:47 PM
And some of us go even one better and don't download or install anything until Dizzy, Crockett and at least two other members here OK it. :D