PDA

View Full Version : Speed up your web browsing.

t_bare
10-02-2002, 01:55 AM
In IE 5, 5.5 or 6, click on Tools, then Internet Options, then the Connections tab at the top, then click on Lan settings, then UNCHECK Automatically detect settings. Click Ok then Apply.. Restart the browser and you should see a difference in speed.

If you find that these changes adversly affect your browsing, just redo the steps and reverse the change. (But i doubt you will have any trouble).

t_bare

hal9000
10-03-2002, 02:23 AM
T_bare,

Interesting. Can you provide any details as to how this may speed up a browser. And does this apply to all browsers or just IE.

vicegrip
10-03-2002, 11:07 PM
PC's come preconfigured to operate on networks not the net. Packet sizes are not optimal which means routers will chop and drop packets that are the wrong size. This means the packet has to be resent - inefficient and consumes time. Reconfiguring your PC fixes this and speeds up the delivery process consequently your browser appears to run faster.

t_bare
10-04-2002, 12:37 AM
Well, heck. I dunno.

It just works.. thats all i know.

lol

Looks like vice has it nailed there id say.

There are tons of little tips out there which claim to speed up browsing, but the one I described is one of the few that I have found to actually work.

t_bare

hal9000
10-04-2002, 05:42 AM
Vicegrip,

Reconfiguring your PC fixes this and speeds up the delivery process consequently your browser appears to run faster.

Appears to, or does? LOL!

I use the TCP Optimizer from Speedguide. Does what you're talking about have to do with that?

Anyway T_bare thanks.

vicegrip
10-04-2002, 11:16 PM
heap of stuff here about it

http://www.modem-help.co.uk/modblame.html

Cheers K