PDA

View Full Version : Whats Running at startup?

Denine Louise
10-12-2003, 07:07 AM
How can I find out what these programs are that are checked at startup? I see two places for run QM. I have one checked and one not? These programs slow down my computer don't they? Also how do I find out what they are. What is a qm anyway? My son says to get rid of everything except Explorer and system tray?

Denine Louise
10-12-2003, 07:12 AM
I just tried to do a screen shot of what is currently running and it wouldn't let me???? But there are loads of things running. How do I find out what some of them are. Some are self explainatory? Oh wait, I just figured out how to do it. hehehehe. Gee I'm slow but I am learning.

Denine Louise
10-12-2003, 07:24 AM
heres what it shows. Hmmm what to do. My reason for asking, I know I have an older computer, we have zoom internet. My son just zooms all over the place and here I am tapping my fingers waiting for something to load. Thought If I could get rid of some junk ( ie pics, trash, cookies, etc) I would free up more space and have a little faster pc? ( I am pictureing Crockett, Elwood, Bruce just sitting here laughing at what I am doing :D ) Well, heres the screen shot anyway? I just want to know how these things work. thats all. :eek:

Crockett
10-12-2003, 07:25 AM
Denine :D

I'm surprised you posted your question in this forum, but all you need to do is press and hold "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" in that order.

This is a great site to find out what you need to have running at startup. Remember...by not running them at startup doesn't mean you are deleting them, and you can still run these programs at your convenience.

Pacman's Portal (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm)

Click on "...go straight to the programs", then click on "Full list" and scroll down to the letters.

Denine Louise
10-12-2003, 07:28 AM
oops was I supposed to post it in the ask and answer thread. Oh my how can I move it now?

Crockett
10-12-2003, 07:34 AM
You can't move it, you can just start over, but I already answered it for you.
Just go to the site and do a search for each of those and it will tell you if it is necessary.

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

Denine Louise
10-12-2003, 07:56 AM
Thankyou very much. I went there but QM wasn't listed. I have saved it in my favorites, I'm gonna learn this, I really am :D

Crockett
10-12-2003, 08:28 AM
It is listed there under the "L's".

I would disable it.

Denine Louise
10-12-2003, 08:43 AM
Aw your such a sweetheart. Always looking out for me.

Crockett
10-12-2003, 08:46 AM
I would help you more, but I have to go to work and it would be good for you to read up on all those and learn what you need to have running. It's a great learning experience. :)

Denine Louise
10-12-2003, 09:00 AM
Thankyou so much Mr. Teacher!! I will do just that. :D