PDA

View Full Version : favorite camera features?

davew98
11-09-2003, 10:20 PM
I'm in the market for a new camera and would appreciate any input.
These new models that use a dock for uploading, recharging, are appealing. Does anyone have experience with these? The dock/printer units are cool, but i would rather put my money in the camera. I can't afford both.
The majority of my pictures are just casual photos, but I do need a good macro capability for craft detail. I've read some cameras fall short in this category. Any recommendations?
Hopefully, I will find a camera I can be happy with for a long time.
So many questions ...

Dave

konajill
11-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Not knowing what price range you are looking in I would go to a good camera shop and not Walmart or one of those and get an idea from someone who knows cameras and can lead you to the right one for what you want to do.
Personally I have a Fuji 4700 Fine Pix 4700 Zoom but that is in the higher price range for every day use but since I do some semi pro work I needed a good camera that was good for most any condition and it takes wonderful macro shots which I do all the time with it. Sandy

davew98
11-09-2003, 10:37 PM
hi Konajill, thanks for the reply
My price range is $300-$350. I know there are a lot of good ones. I expect 3 to 4 megapixels.
I've had several toy cameras if you know what I mean, but they can be frustrating.

Dizzy313
11-09-2003, 10:49 PM
http://www.dpreview.com/

mainechickie
11-09-2003, 11:21 PM
I have a Kodak Easy Share CX6330 3.1MP, 3X optical zoom, 3.3X advanced digital zoom. It prints out really nice and clear 8X10 pictures. I got mine at Best Buy and they were really helpful in helping me get the one I got. Good luck with your camera hunting:D

Benewah
11-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Here is where I go to compare digital cameras.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

davew98
11-10-2003, 12:03 AM
thanks for the replys and the links. I'll read some more, but first hand experience is the best teacher.

AussieRon
11-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Dave,
I thought I would throw in what little I know from my purchase.
I think you should make a list of the features that you wan't in the camera.
Such as:-
1.Number of megapixels.
2.Type of battery.AA's,Rechargeable or Li Lon or similar rechargeable battery.
3.Optical Zoom and digital zoom. (The Optical is the best to have.)
4.Amount of Internal Memory and room for additional memory card.
5.Do you wan't one that does video and sound.(A lot do now)
6.Do you wan't a dock or similar for ease of use.
7.Does it have a lens cover when not in use.(Most do)
8.Do you get a carry pouch with shoulder strap included.
9.Does it have the picture taking features that you wan't including the macro capability you wan't.

There are probably one or two things I've missed, but if you go to a shop with your list in hand you will have some chance of getting the camera that you wan't.
Just for the record, I have a Kodak with dock LS443-4 megapixel which takes very good pics with all of the above features.
It's cost in US probably would be around $480. if available.
I think there are new models out now that are probably cheaper with the same features.
Good hunting.
Ron D

Elva
11-10-2003, 09:41 AM
The responses above are all really good. I would like to comment that I personally dont have or want a docking station, it seems like an added expense that I dont need. I plug my camera into the USB cable it came with, and go into Windows Explorer and click on Removeable Drive G and then a couple of clicks later I am into my photos, it's so simple.

My hubby bought my camera at a camera shop after doing a lot of research. His dad was a photographer and while hubby is not into the hobby, he still learned a lot about the subject and he asked a lot of good questions and zeroed in on my Olympus camera. I have been completely happy with it. I do use rechargeable batteries in it, as it does eat batteries otherwise.

Do lots of research, at camera shops, ask a ton of questions. With Xmas coming there's probably lots of good deals coming up.
Elva

konajill
11-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Elva I agree with you on the docking station. To me that is only one more thing that may break at one time or another. I leave my cable plugged in at all times and when I want to download or view images all I have to do is turn the camera on to the play mode and it will automatically bring up the camera icon folder even if I am in an email or whatever and then of course can just view or send to My Documents or where I want them to go. I can also edit my photos right there with the software that came with my camera but prefer to do it with PSP.
Any images that are really good or I think that I may want to print out later on I save as TIFF at a high resolution and then make copies for emails and so on. Sandy

Isaaccreek
11-10-2003, 11:04 AM
I have the Olympus Camedia 4mg with 3x optical zoom, cost close to $350. Use rechargeable batteries and the Dazzle media reader for the pix card instead of cable or docking. I love mine, haven't learned how to change settings on it but it takes great pix at the setting it came on. Good luck.

Muzz
11-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Yea, I'm wit Elva and Sandy on the docking thing. I use my USB port and d/l pics into PhotoSuite III and take it from there. I have about 20 folders with different pics in them.
I have a little ole Poloroid, couple yrs old, no bells or whistles and easy to use. Uses AA batteris but I use the AC adaptor when taking pics off, saves on batteries. it was under $200 and I love it!
I must admit tho....my son is a police detective and he has one for wk that is AWESOME!!!! Makes me tingle alllllllll over....LOL

sheila
11-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by konajill
Not knowing what price range you are looking in I would go to a good camera shop and not Walmart or one of those and get an idea from someone who knows cameras and can lead you to the right one for what you want to do.
Personally I have a Fuji 4700 Fine Pix 4700 Zoom but that is in the higher price range for every day use but since I do some semi pro work I needed a good camera that was good for most any condition and it takes wonderful macro shots which I do all the time with it. Sandy

Hey I have this, now tell me why are my pictures not nearly as good as yours? I guess I am going to have to break down and read that little book that came with it :D

Cheers

Sheila

konajill
11-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Sheila,
What setting do you usually use? I keep mine on where it will take 49 images which I think was the mid normal one but if I want to take a really good shot that I know that I want to print out then will change it to where the card will only hold 9 images on it. Also I try to change the setting on the top to portrait or whatever I am shooting. Love the nighttime one as no matter how dark it is out there you still get a decent shot as long as you hold it really steady or use a trip pod or as I do a lot use a mono pod as that is so easy to carry around with me. I have not done much yet with the manual settings and have had the camera for over two years but just do not get to it. I also have an Olypus point and shoot that is good for quick shots and I use a Minolta X700 a lot as I have tons of lenses and filters for it Sandy

Jaberwoc
11-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Hi Dave,
1. I agree with others, re. the docking station, it's a pricey accessory. I recently bought a HP Photosmart 850 if I'd have got the DS as well it would have put 25% on the price. I don't even use the USB cable to connect to the PC, Instead I use a card reader plugged into a USB outlet on the back of my keyboard, no camera power needed, and the HP software recognises the card reader as a valid source. Much more convenient.
2. Choose a model that uses AA type Cells, other types of camera battery are expensive to replace or get one as a spare. AA are very common at not too bad prices. If you buy rechargeables the ones to go for are Nickel Manganese types not Nickel Cadmium, the latter are best used in a full charge/discharge situation, and if not used in this way rapidly lose capacity, whereas the NM types can be topped up any time.
3. Read the reviews, apart from the ones already listed I like :--
http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en%20%20%20Olympus%20720%20UZ

http://www.dcresource.com/

Remember some of the points made in these reviews are super critical, I was almost put off buying my model until I realised they were comparing to a model that cost half as much again.
4. Optical Zoom is definitely the best, Digital zoom merely crops the picture, so that what you see is really the centre of what you
wanted, some cameras using DZ are also programmed to rehash picture information, and present it in a supposedly improved way, but how can that be if it's not like the original.
Whatever you get, Enjoy !.

JohnF
11-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Here is the camera I have, would you believe 4 years ago it was $171. cheaper, same model, same everything, Sony MVC-FD83.
I like it because it uses floppy's instead of memory cards.
http://www.hypeaudio.com/mvcfd83.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/fd83_pg2.html

davew98
11-11-2003, 10:11 PM
I appreciate all the links, but I think I am having an info overload!! LOL! I thought I had it narrowed down to 3 or 4 models until I discovered REBATES!!! ($200 on a Nikon 4 MP!) So, more to consider. And holiday sales are just around the corner.

Jaberwok, thanks for the heads up on the batteries. I will go with rechargeables. Some of these cameras are battery-eating monsters. One uses 4 AA (alkaline) in 90 minutes!

JohnF, thanks for that DC enhancer! It looks like a miracle worker, which I need quite often! And so quick! I will check out the other tools they have for FREE! The Color Cast Fix works great too.

Dave

P.S. JohnF, your camera looks interesting. how many shots can you get on a floppy? Do you use the voice memo function?

konajill
11-11-2003, 10:38 PM
For my camera I use nickel mela hybride rechargeable batteries from Walmart that are reasonable and they last me for about 60 images if I do not use the screen to view what I am taking and for about 30 if I do. The ones that I have are over a year old now and I recharge them over and over again but always wait until they are dead to do so. If necessary I will just run them down so that I never have to date run out of batteries and of course I keep four charged up ones with me at all times and I use my camera all the time.
As to ones that use floppys I wonder how long they will be made as the computers are not being made with floppy drives anymore so that may be something to think about too. Sandy

davew98
11-11-2003, 11:13 PM
Sandy, you are right. the floppys are disappearing.

The new media cards, memory sticks, etc., are a puzzle. Is there one format that is better? Is 2 or 3 smaller capacity cards better than 1 big one?

Dave

konajill
11-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Well a larger memory card may be better but since they are so costly I only have 2 each of 16 whatever they are called size and on them depending upon what setting I have my camera set at I can get from 9 to 175 images on each one. Normally I have my camera set to get 49 images on them unless there are times when I am taking a special shot and then I set it to 9 for great printing out at larger sizes like a 16 x 20 but find that the 49 size will print out a great 5 x 7 and a decent 8 x 10.
Of coure everyone has their own ideas on what to get and it really can be confusing and I am sure that there are a lot of newer camera that will work without breaking the bank Sandy

Jaberwoc
11-12-2003, 05:53 AM
Hi Dave,
Apologies !, let me correct the type of battery to use, I should have said use Nickel Metal Hydride ( NI/MH) . I'm just getting over a bout of flu, seems I didn't get my brain unscrambled yet. LOL :D

davew98
11-12-2003, 08:32 AM
Thanks Jaberwoc,

I'm glad you are on the mend.

Dave

JohnF
11-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by davew98

JohnF, thanks for that DC enhancer! It looks like a miracle worker, which I need quite often! And so quick! I will check out the other tools they have for FREE! The Color Cast Fix works great too.

Youe Welcome

Dave

P.S. JohnF, your camera looks interesting. how many shots can you get on a floppy? Do you use the voice memo function?

Takes about 12 1024X768 pictures 25 to 30 640X480, I did a few 1min.3sec. videos with it, friend playing gutiar, wasn't to big of a video picture only about 3" by 4" size on computer, but sounds was good.
Take Care