PDA

View Full Version : Sound or video problems

BLUENOZER
11-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Just a tip for those who want to get details and test their video and sound cards. This is a great diagnostic tool. Go to 'start' and 'run' and type in 'DXDIAG' . You can then select many options and tests. You can also see what drivers you are using, and the rev levels. I don't know about Win XP but it works for the other operating systems. Try it.

mburke2004
11-19-2003, 11:49 PM
I have gone to "run" , "dxdial", and everything is working properly. Yet, when I open some email or other sites that require sound, (using windows media player), there is NO sound. When I turn my PC on, I get the MSN sound! I thought I might have deleted a file somewhere, but if DXDIAL is telling me that everything is running fine, what the heck do I do?

Mike

BLUENOZER
11-20-2003, 12:11 AM
When you boot up the sound you hear has nothing to do with media player. It uses basic sound drivers, so forget about that. Can you put a cd in and does it play? If you right-click on a song and use another program to play it does it work? I have to ask the questions to narrow it down as to the cause. It sounds like media player may be the problem. You may also try to install level 9 (the latest). You could try opening a song with Sonique or Winamp and see if that works. If DXDIAG runs ok thru the tests then there is nothing wrong with your sound card. Let me know how you make out with this.

mburke2004
11-20-2003, 10:33 AM
Sorry about the caps. I put in a CD and no sound. I did install Win Media Player 9.

Mike

PS: Thanks for the help

BLUENOZER
11-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi Mike. Open up WMP and check if the box beside the volumn slider is not closed. You should see a speaker with lines to the right of it. Toggle it and see what happens. Lets try the simplest things first. I am a computer technician and we have to use elimination techniques to isolate the cause. Also check the speaker icon on the task bar and make sure the volumn and midi volumn sliders are about half way up. We'll get it eventually. Just be patient. Can you open the music CD with Winamp? If you can or can't it will tell me a lot about what's happening. Let me know the results......Doug

mburke2004
11-20-2003, 11:29 AM
OK, I've attempted to open WMP and I'm too dumb to understand what box your talking about! LOL
Unfortunately I have to get ready for work. I get home around 10 ish. Do you have msn messenger? My msn mess is m1david.
I will try to be online when I get home. The wife is home doing at home jobs, you might be able to talk with her,but sometimes she leaves me with the HARD stuff! LOL
Hope to hear from ya tonite. I tried to go back and forth to the world start screen and had to sign in again!!! The wife has yahoo messenger, but I'll have to get that later on tonite when I get home!

Mike

BLUENOZER
11-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Don't use msn messenger. However have ICQ 31771802. try that. I'll have it on to-nite.
Let me know if you can use this-if not will open up msn mgr.

amb141
11-20-2003, 12:01 PM
BLUE....

>>When you boot up the sound you hear has nothing to do with media player. It uses basic sound drivers, so forget about that.<<

It also uses the system speaker (at least on some computers, not mine) so this might be a speaker wiring problem as well.

alan

BLUENOZER
11-20-2003, 12:56 PM
AMB141...I thought of that too, but he said he ran DXDIAG ok which eliminates wiring . His speakers are hooked up fine. There are many causes of this problem and it may take some time to narrow it down. I don't think he is very aware of the operation of the different applications involved, so I'll chat directly with him to resolve it. It could be as simple as the volumn control turned off.

BLUENOZER
11-20-2003, 07:24 PM
When was the last time your sound worked ok? Is this a recent problem? If you open up WMP you should see a speaker symbol similar to the one at the bottom of your screen. It should look the same with bars radiating from it. Also the slider just to the right of it should be all the way to the right (max volumn). You may have to d/l Winamp just to see if it is WMP that is the problem. Chat later......Doug

BLUENOZER
11-20-2003, 11:01 PM
I am waiting on msn. Remember I am an hour later than you are.
11:20 here...Doug

mburke2004
11-21-2003, 12:23 AM
Sorry Doug; Ended up working late! Didn't realize you were still an hour ahead of us. I did have good sound up until about a week ago. I have an nvidia g-force 4 MX 440 video card with 64 meg agp built in.

Mike

mburke2004
11-21-2003, 12:31 AM
Hey Doug; Just went to "start" , find, and do not have "winamp" on file in my "C" drive. Could that be the problem? Where would I find "winamp"? Can I download it off the internet?

Mike

BLUENOZER
11-21-2003, 09:13 AM
That's ok.....Yes you can d/l it . It's free. Go for it and try it.

mburke2004
11-21-2003, 09:32 AM
OK, I've downloaded Winamp 3. Still nada!

BLUENOZER
11-21-2003, 09:58 AM
I really expected winamp to work. Now we will try something else. What OS are you using? Look for the speaker icon in the taskbar at the bottom right of your screen. Click on it and make sure none of the mute buttons are checked, also put the sliders about half way up. DO you have a 2 or 3 speaker system? Let me know

mburke2004
11-21-2003, 10:00 AM
Oh, I forgot to tell you; When I go to "run", DxDiag" and click sound 1 or sound 2, and click test sound, it comes back with
"direct sound results, failure at step 19(user verification of software) Hresults- ox000000(error code)

Jibberish to me!LOL

Mike

mburke2004
11-21-2003, 10:04 AM
Ok, win 98. Opened speaker. Everything kosher. Sound blaster 220 is what I have there. 2 speaker system, both work great.

mburke2004
11-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Oh, by the way, I emailed you.Check it out. It might be easier for you and I.

Mike

BLUENOZER
11-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Ok ...It now looks like your SB drivers have become corrupted. Log onto Creative Labs and d/l the drivers for your SB220. I have to go out now and will check back later with you. Can you recall what you changed just prior to the speakers not working? Also, when you boot up you get the MSN sound. Does the sound come from your 2 speakers or from the system speaker? I'll look into that error on DXDIAG. And make sure you have the latest DIRECTX drivers. This should keep you busy for a while. I'll check later.......Doug
I think DIRECTX 9 is the latest.

mburke2004
11-21-2003, 11:26 AM
OK: I have to get ready for work. I work at the airport with TSA and my hours are 12-9 pm. I will attempt to do those things when I get home tonite. Thanks a bunch!

Mike

sixpac
11-21-2003, 04:39 PM
"I put in a CD and no sound. I did install Win Media Player 9".

Do you have the CDIN1 or CDIN2 line in,with out this you will have no sound with a CD in

change the CDIN1 cable

also I would boot to safe mode and go to device manager and delete everything to do with your sound card,reboot,install drivers,should be all set

BLUENOZER
11-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Thanks sixpac. I'll get him to do that later when I talk to him. I had figured his drivers were corrupted. He says he has a SB220. Creative Labs doesn't list such a device. Mike may also have the install disk. Anyway we'll get it Thanks again.

sixpac
11-21-2003, 05:55 PM
"direct sound results, failure at step 19(user verification of software) Hresults- ox000000(error code)"

The error message itself is very generic.

It's the same message you get if you click on Test DirectSound and hit No when it asks if you heard the sound.

Hence the User Verification part, so it doesn't tell us anything about the actual problem.

Best bets would as usual be reinstalling directx, reinstalling sound card drivers, and trying a different sound card :(

sixpac
11-21-2003, 06:10 PM
The 220 is not the sound card it is the Interrupt of the sound card

Microsoft Audio Mapper
Soundblaster Record (220)=20
Microsoft Audio Mapper
Soundblaster playback (220)=20