PDA

View Full Version : Can't Drag Taskbar to Bottom of Page

molley
11-20-2003, 09:31 AM
My taskbar is at the top of my computer and I can't drag it to the bottom. I can get it halfway and it won't go any further. I tried to drag from side middle and it just won't go any further then the middle of my computer. I don't know how it got to the top because I didn't put it there and nobody else has used my computer. I have windows 98. I also clicked hide taskbar and pointed my arrow to bottom and that didn't work. Any help would be appreciated Thanks Molley

migander
11-20-2003, 09:52 AM
The taskbar has moved and you can't put it back into it's original position
Normally the taskbar is found on the bottom of the screen but it can be moved to the top as well as the left and right sides. It's position on the screen is a matter of choice and it can be moved around rather easily:
Place the mouse cursor over any clear gray are of the taskbar
Hold down the left mouse button and move the cursor to the part of the screen you want the taskbar to go (top,bottom,left,right)
When you get to the desired location release the left mouse button

molley
11-20-2003, 09:58 AM
I put the mouse cursor over the grey area and drag the taskbar down but it will only go the middle of my computer and no farther. Its like it is stuck

migander
11-20-2003, 10:07 AM
Try to move it to the side of of your screen frist, then to the bottom

molley
11-20-2003, 10:11 AM
That didn't work either. It just won't go down past the middle.

migander
11-20-2003, 10:30 AM
One more thing,i do not know if you have this on win 98, right click on your taskbar,see if you have lock the taskbar checked,if so uncheck and then try it

molley
11-20-2003, 03:03 PM
I don't have locked taskbar. This is really puzzeling. Thanks for your help

molley
11-20-2003, 07:11 PM
I have windows 98 this says xp Is it ok to download it? I don't understand how to unzip a file. I knowvery little about a computer Is it hard to do? I'm so afraid I'll do something and it will mess me up. Thanks

brett
11-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Oops - sorry - I don't know why I thought you had XP! The attachment would have caused any harm - but nor would it have helped.

OK. Click (once) on the clock, hold down the mouse key and drag downwards. The Taskbar should move to the side of the screen. Continue dragging downwards and it should return to the bottom of the screen

BookLady
11-21-2003, 12:08 AM
No one else has suggested this. You are of course being careful not to just pull the side of the bar and make it wider? It will only EXPAND to half the screen. To move it you must be very careful to click on an empty space inside the task bar itself. And not in the little box where the clock itself sits.

I don't remember if this happens in 98 but in XP if you click inside one of the toolbars that show on the task bar you may drag it free so be sure that you are in the task bar itself. If something does drag free just drag it back.

molley
11-21-2003, 12:40 AM
I wasn't paying attention but that is what is happening It is just getting wider the taskbar isn't moving. I've clicked everywhere on it and all it does is expand wider. If my taskbar was moving wouldn't my start be moving to?

molley
11-21-2003, 12:49 AM
Brett,
That did it. I was clicking everywhere but the clock. Thank you so much and everyone else who tried to help me. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

brett
11-21-2003, 04:04 AM
Good news! I think that you were dragging the edge of the Taskbar (which alters the size) rather than dragging the Taskbar itself (which alters the position). If ever you have a similar problem, be sure to click on a blank area inside the Taskbar rather than somewhere on its edge.