PDA

View Full Version : laptop keeps shutting off

tamar puah
01-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi all,

Well, I was doing good with my new laptop, then about 3 weeks ago, my laptop keeps shutting off! I will be typing or just in between this and that and all of a sudden, my lappy just shuts down.

All the lights go off except a yellow light that is on when the ac is plugged in.

When I hit the power button, the pc turns on again like as if I had just shut it off, it loads up all the startup items like nothing happened!

Before, if something like this happened on my desktop, it would at least run scandisk on startup. My lappy doesn't do anything but load up like a new start. My email, however says that the pc didn't shutdown properly and won't show the previous message until I hit another message.

I moved my connector (for the ac) around a little bit to see if it was a short or something, but no.

Any advice/info appreciated.

Bruce
01-26-2004, 01:32 PM
I would contact Compaq because there might be a Processor heating problem causing the shutdown to protect itself.

Sunny
01-26-2004, 05:41 PM
If the laptop is still under warranty send it back and make them fix it. Could be a Power issue, MB issue or overheating like Bruce said.

tamar puah
01-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Hi Bruce and Sonny,

Thanks for the replies.

I called tech support (1 year with Compaq) and 3 years Best Buy.

1. the tech guy took me to 'power management' and changed the settings to 'never' shut down if inactive.

2. he had me go to 'run' + 'services.msc' and change the settings for 'remote procedure call' and 'remote procedure call locator'.

3. then he had me download the check tool for a worm (w32 blaster worm) from Norton to check for a worm (none yet).

So far, so good, no shutdowns.

Also, I asked if there could be an overheating problem. He looked at some book and basically said no. He said the pc was shutting down because the power management was set to shut down in 15 minutes (monitor) if no action. But the pc shut down on me many times when I was in the middle of typing something! Time will tell if he is right.

The tech guy will call tomorrow to check if all is OK.

One strange thing: He said not to use 'hibernate'! When I asked why, he wouldn't give an explanation. Well, I am using hibernate, it is part of the computer functions!

Anyway, we will see how it goes tonight and tomorrow.

I have a 1 year warrantee with Compaq and a 3 year with Best Buy, so I can bring it in or send it in till August of 2006.

If you can think of anything else that I should ask, do, please do let me know and I will as the tech guy tomorrow.

"If the laptop is still under warranty send it back and make them fix it. Could be a Power issue, MB issue or overheating like Bruce said."

Sonny, what is an "MB issue"?

Thanks again.

Bruce
01-26-2004, 08:27 PM
MB = Motherboard.

I have never had anything but trouble using Hibernate. Even though it is a Funtion I would never use it again. Nothing but Trouble.

tamar puah
01-27-2004, 01:42 AM
Hi Bruce,

Funny you should mention hibernate. After I had been on for a while with no problems, I decided to use it and not too long after, it started to shut off again.

I will leave hibernate alone, but I am going to question the tech guy about it again.

Thanks.

brett
01-27-2004, 04:11 AM
It doesn’t sound like a PM issue to me, Tamar; in your shoes, I’d insist that they look at it before the warranty expires.

Sunny
01-27-2004, 04:16 AM
I agree with Brett. I would make them fix it.

There were some issues with Power Management in Windows 98. As far as I know those problems were corrected and are not an issue with XP.

sepiabutterfly
01-27-2004, 05:45 AM
Urgh, tech support, as helpful as it can be, do frustrate me. They're too interested with running down their list of procedures and making light of what you're saying and trying to make you sound daft and that you don't know what you're talking about than actually listening!!

I second the people who advise you to get it looked at. It's silly to try and explain it with the power management issues, when you told him the computer shuts down mid-typing. This happened to me with my old machine (I'm always talking about but it went wrong in oh so many ways) and a little while later the power unit in the box blew up on me and the computer couldn't boot.

It's wise advice to get it seen to before the warranty runs out.

tamar puah
01-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Ok, now you all are scaring me! I am going to back up my hard drive and have them fix it.

I guess it's back to my old e-machines for now.

By the way, there was no worm (I finished the check).

One more question, should I make Compaq do the repair or Best Buy?

Thanks again to you all.

amb141
01-27-2004, 12:12 PM
1) If Compaq has "authorized service centers" by all means take it to one of them. I wouldn't MAIL my laptop anywhere after my experience with the Toshiba mail-in "Repair Depot" which is as likely to lose a computer as it is to fix it! The shop at Best Buy probably isn't as competant as a shop which is autorized by Compaq to do its repairs.

2) While the Hibernate function isn't of much use on a desktop computer is is pretty essential on a laptop to preserve battery life. If you aren't going to use your laptop (running on battery) for a while but you do want to pick up where you left off, the hibernate function is very handy. It isn't even a good idea to move a laptop around while it is running so even if you just want to move the machine to a different office and then pick up where you left off you should also put the computer into hibernation.

Yes, if your computer is shutting down spontaneously and the hibernate function can't be made to work, you certainly should put it on Compaq's shoulders to fix it.

alan

tamar puah
02-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Hello all,

Compaq took my pc a week ago (Fed Ex) and returned it an hour ago and here are the results:

They checked my lappy and said the "FAILURE COULD BE DUPLICATED" through dianostic testing. They replaced my hard drive with a new one:

__________________________________________________ _
re-imaged HDD "using Recovery CD to ensure the system configuration and drivers are compatible with your computer and operating system."
__________________________________________________ _

Here are MY diagnostic results:

1. The touchpad will move the cursor, but will not 'hit' the places it lands on. So I can move my cursor, but I cannot tap my touchpad to click on anything.

2. I have to reinstall Windows XP Pro, but the pc says "no" because the unpartitioned drive is too small and the partitioned area is already with XP home on it, so may conflict. I go to the website, but it really does not help.

When I try to 'upgrade' to XP Pro pc says it cannot find a particular file, so it can't be done.

3. THE COMPUTER STILL TURNS OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It has shut off on me 3 times in 1 hour! That is worse than when I first sent it in!!!

So my question is:

Should I go with Best Buy repair this time, or should I go with Compaq again?

With Best Buy, at least I am 1 mile from my pc, if they cannot fix it they will give me a new one, and they will have XP pro on it when I get it back.

With Compaq, I have to send it Fed Ex again, and God only knows when I will get it back or what they do if they cannot fix it.

Any advice appreciated.

:mad:

Kammy
02-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Should I go with Best Buy repair this time

Yes!!!!! :)

tamar puah
02-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Hello all,

I took my lappy into Best Buy and the tech guy said that they will have to keep it for 2-3 weeks!

He said lappy's are so sensitive and must be fixed in a special lab that is somewhere else & they might have to order parts, and if they cannot fix it, they will have to send it to the manufaturer.

UUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!:mad:

I love my lappy, but now I am back to my e-machines, praying everyday that it hangs in there for at least 3 more weeks! I should be given some kind of restitution!

I bought the lappy to have a reliable computer and this is turning out to be more trouble than the old e-machines that I bought 5 years ago for 1/4 the money.

Sorry, I had to vent.

Anyway, thanks to all and I will post in 2-3 weeks (wishfull thinking) when I hopefully will get my lappy back.

Sunny
02-19-2004, 05:42 PM
Your welcome.

tamar puah
03-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Hi all,

Well, it looks like in this case Best Buy wins.

I got my lappy back from Best Buy and the mouse works, the lappy doesn't shut off (so far) and Windows XP pro is on my pc!

Hallelujah!

Now I only have to spend 3 hours setting up my pc to be used again.

Thanks again to you all.

brett
03-05-2004, 02:44 AM
Did they tell you the cause of the problems?

Sunny
03-05-2004, 04:18 AM
Your welcome. Good news :)

tamar puah
03-05-2004, 08:35 AM
They don't say why the mouse didn't work or what they did to fix it.

They installed Windows XP pro, and no explanation on that, but it is functioning fine.

The tech guy said they "repaired" the hardrive. I asked why the laptop kept shutting down, they said that XP is programed to shut down automatically when there are certain types of problems to prevent further damage.

I am not sure exactly what damage they are talking about, but that was the eplanation given.

They also say "no visible damage" and that they re-imaged the hardrive, even though it was fresh off the last re-image.

Everything is still good, so I am breathing a deep sigh of relief.

Thanks to all again.