PDA

View Full Version : Black Ice

IsntLifeWendyful
03-24-2004, 07:39 PM
I got the following message from my Cable Internet Provider. I think they give you Black Ice to install when they hook up your system. But I have Norton so I didn't bother with it. We also got an e-mail at my work about Black Ice, but I thought we had Norton there as well.

I know on Monday our computer system was completely inoperable. The entire corporation came to a grinding halt. For some reason they were going around telling everyone with laptops to sign off the system. Then when they thought they had it restored the IT telephone vox message said not to sign back on if you have a laptop. Rumor has it today that the system was infected with a virus and it had something to do with the laptops. I dunno....anyway...here's the letter.....

Dear Subscriber,

On Friday, March 20, 2004, Black Ice issued a security alert. A new worm, the "Witty" worm, has been released and it targets only specific versions of Black Ice, versions 3.6 cbz, ccb, ccd, and ccf and only Windows 2000 or higher operating systems. The worm is extremely destructive and will, in effect, cause a PC to "blue screen", or essentially be unuseable because it overwrites key hard disk sectors.

Cablesystem has not been distributing any of the affected versions, either from our website or from our Cablesystem CDs. But, if you are uncertain about your vulnerability, check the version of Black Ice that you have on your PC. (Open Black Ice and click the "About" selection from the Help menu to display the version number.)

If you discover that you are using any of the affected versions listed above, click on the following link from Black Ice for instructions, link (http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/alerts/id/167)

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Help Desk from 6am until 1am, 7 days a week.

Thank you,

Internet Support

Good Luck everyone