PDA

View Full Version : They're finally waking up!

HARLEY
03-30-2004, 05:19 PM
http://tinyurl.com/2v55m

hal9000
03-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Makes no difference to me, I won't use IE, period.

Bobi-p
03-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Hal, What Browser do you use and why? I'm Browser shopping and I'd like to know what everyone uses. Maybe I'll post a new Thread.;)

hal9000
03-30-2004, 08:15 PM
I use mostly Firefox, then Mozilla, Opera, and k-meleon, in that order.
The reason I use firefox and Mozilla the most is for the prefBar which allows you to kill java and flash on the fly, and I find them more stable when loading pages that require javascript.

hal9000
03-30-2004, 11:57 PM
I changed my mind; it's a toss up between Firefox and Opera.

brett
03-31-2004, 02:07 AM
The article is rather misleading.

"Perhaps Microsoft's decision to finally allow its customer to turn off a vulnerable feature ... "

It's already possible to turn off (or limit) IE's use of ActiveX; SP2 simply makes it a tad easier to do so.

hal9000
03-31-2004, 02:40 AM
Makes no difference to me, I won't use IE, period. :D

amb141
03-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Putting in my 2 1/2 cents. I use Firefox exclusively. But there are people who know what they are doing (HARLEY for one) who have found Firefox to be more than a little wonky when installed on their machine.

Bobi-p, I think that the most user friendly of the free alternative browsers at this point would be the latest version of Mozilla. Even if Firefox agrees with your particular configuration, it requires a bit of tweaking to set it up to the user's liking. This is intentional and, IMO, a great idea -- but fiddling with software isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Opera would be a good choice as well -- except that it is NOT free. It either costs ~ 40 dollars or is supported by an ad panel which is somewhat intrusive.

alan

pesach
03-31-2004, 03:58 PM
I know I am not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I have always used IE and have 0 problems. What is up with IE that I should know about.

HARLEY
03-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by pesach
I know I am not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I have always used IE and have 0 problems. What is up with IE that I should know about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are a number of UNPATCHED security flaws in IE...somewhere around 900............:)

they take advantage of the active scripting and active x controls that most people leave wide open instead of disabling or having them set to prompt!

Thats why the new more secure browsers don't have those options..........

sorry Phil but it's true:)

IE is a dinosaur and will not be upgraded............they even put out an IE shell>>>>>>>avant browser,that gives you the options to disable those to compete with the better ones! :)

billm65
03-31-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by pesach

I too used IE because when I checked out those other browsers they seemed rather intimidating to me, That's just me people, so please don't start preaching. Anyway I ran across MyIE2 from some post and I know it is based on IE but it has some very good functions that IE doesn't. It has a built in pop up stopper and it has tabs when you open a window, so you don't have to keep hitting the back button. You can have as many windows as you want and just click on the tab to open it. VERY good function that I have really enjoyed. There are other plug ins, but I haven't got into that much. But for my purposes, I like it.

pesach
03-31-2004, 04:48 PM
Thanks guy's. I think my bulb is a little brighter now.