PDA

View Full Version : ::BLOCKED:: Links

Garry
06-30-2004, 07:49 AM
G'day Guri

I'm still having problems with Outlook 2003, specifically, with hyper/email links. If I type an email address or hyperlink directly into the window eg., tenconsw@bigpond.com and then hit "Enter", the link/email address turns blue and looks for all the world like everything is as it should be. But then, when I send it, and when the recipient tries to click on it, he/she is greeted with BLOCKED::BLOCKED::BLOCKED::BLOCKED::BLOCKED::BLOCK ED:: etc.

The only way I am able to get around this problem, is to go to "insert" and then "hyperlink" or "mailto", whichever is appropriate. By selecting the appropriate option and typing the address in, I appear to be able to send functioning links, both http: & mailto: However, it strikes me that I should not have to go the long way round and besides, this is not an option when it comes to my email signature, which includes my email address, and which also advises the recipient that the address is ::BLOCKED:: The result has been many calls from people who think I've blocked them due to some grudge.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue with Outlook 2003, or if there's a way around it? In previous versions all I had to do was type in the link or email address and Outlook (and Express) knew what to do with them. They certainly didn't wind up blocked!

I'm running XP Home
Office 2003
P1V Optima (yes, I know, but it was free!)
I'm running PC-cillin and Zone Alarm Pro too, if that could be a contributing factor? Though, I ran both on my previous computer (P111 -- Win98 -- Office 2000) without any dramas.

Cheers

Garry

brett
06-30-2004, 08:10 AM
Send me a link!

Garry
07-04-2004, 02:03 AM
G'day Brett et alia

I thought I should tell the Guri here assembled that Brett is diligently trying to sort my problem. I am grateful! As I'm sure others will be, for you see...it looks very much like it ain't just me who has the bug.

Still can't find anything on the net re: a solution to the BLOCKED::mailto: (or even the BLOCKED::BLOCKED::mailto:etc) mailto and link drama, but while looking for clues, I have been able to establish that I am not alone in my affliction. Typing BLOCKED::BLOCKED::mailto: into Google soon brings up a whole bunch of sites where people have posted messages containing mailto: or http: links that are preceded by the BLOCKED::BLOCKED::mailto: confusion.

In fact, the people concerned seem not to have noticed that they too are afflicted, because the WebPages that contain the error messages do not refer to them at all. The authors concerned are waffling on about some topic or other, as one does, apparently unaware that the BLOCKED::BLOCKED::mailto: bizzo precedes their links, both web and mail. See http://listproc.ucdavis.edu/class/200403/mgp285-s04/0002.html for an example.

It's a puzzle to be sure!

Cheers

Garry

brett
07-04-2004, 09:51 AM
... Brett is diligently trying to sort my problem.

... and, thus far, failing!

HARLEY
07-04-2004, 11:45 AM
Firewall settings or maybe a hosts file entry?

brett
07-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Garry,

G'day, sport.

Go to Tools - Options - Mail Format. What's the default under "Compose in this message format"?

Garry
07-05-2004, 10:06 AM
G'day Brett

"G'day, sport" ? We make yet make an Aussie of you! The next word you need to practice is "dunny". Just practice the word for the moment, mind. The function and, indeed, the action itself, is pretty-well universal.

OK, the default setting is HTML. I know, I know, friends don't send friends HTML. But I really do need it (I think) so that I can present my bulletins in pretty colours. You see my lot have a pretty short attention span, and so the bright shiny object factor is fairly important.

G'day Harley, Dude!

Thank for the advice. Now if only I could understand the message you're trying to convey...."
Firewall settings or maybe a hosts file entry?" Now firewall settings I understand. I'm using Zone Pro, and I have shut it down to run tests, only to find that the problem remains regardless of Zone's on/off status. Mind you, It has just occurred to me that I may have the Xp firewall running too, but for the life of me I can remember where to find it to switch the bugger off. Shall have a squiz and see if I can nail it.

"hosts file entry" makes about as much sense to me as Steven Hawkins A Brief History of Time, i.e. none! I'd appreciate it if you'd assume I'm the mental defective that I am and elaborate further.

By the way, for some reason I'm not receiving "instant email notification" of your responses, so pardon me if I appear tardy.

Garry

HARLEY
07-05-2004, 10:31 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;283673

brett
07-05-2004, 11:04 AM
OK, the default setting is HTML.

Hmmm. So that's that idea outta the window (or should that be "down the dunny"?).

I have no idea as to what the cause of this is and have, therefore, sent a plea for help to some of the Outlook MVP's.

Garry
07-05-2004, 06:50 PM
G'day Guri

Harley, Dude, you da man! You're supposed imagine a middle aged Aussie, adopting Afro-American homeboy accent and posture....it's not a pretty sight. Anyway, firewall off...."BLOCKED" drama still a happenin' thang!

And now, Brett....tisk tisk tisk! Your nomination for the Grand Order of the Brave Knights of the Outback Crapper is on hold, pending proof that you are worthy, and since you appear to be relying on Microsoft for your salvation.........!!?? Is there a reward for identifying Microsoft glitches? I'd settle for a copy of Office that doesn't freeze all the time!

But seriously (heaven forbid!) the Guri have tried so hard that I feel a reward is in order. I therefore offer the following, hoping that it translates to your locality:

Little Tammy runs into her mum and dad's bedroom, early one Saturday morning, and, bouncing joyfully onto the bed, asks, "mummy, daddy, what's Love-Juice?"

Utterly gobsmacked, mummy asks, "Tammy, sweetheart, where did you hear that?"

"On the television this morning", Tammy replies.

Mummy and daddy, still taking stock of the situation, tell Tammy that she shouldn't worry about it and suggest that she returns to her cartoons. After discussing their daughter's question, mummy and daddy decide that at 10 years of age, their daughter's age of innocence is obviously on the way out, and so they decide to cut their losses by telling her about the birds and the bees -- including the details about the sharing of bodily fluids -- in a sensitive way, before some sicko reality show does it for them.

They sit Tammy down, and, after the tale is told, they ask, "Do you understand, darling?"

"I think so, mummy" Tammy replies.

"Do you have any questions sweetheart?" ask mum and dad.

"No" says Tammy, "It's OK I think!"

Feeling a little miffed that she has been forced, more or less, by some TV program to shatter her little girl's innocence, mummy decides to try to identify the culprit.

"Tammy, darling, mummy would like you to do something for her. This is very important sweetie, so do try to think very very hard for mummy and daddy. Think back to when you heard Love-Juice on the television this morning....can you tell mummy and daddy the name of the program?"

A patient smile appears on Tammy's angelic little face, as proudly she recalls, "Well of course I can mummy....the program was called Wimbledon!"

Have a good one, one and all!

Garry

brett
07-05-2004, 07:10 PM
I'd settle for a copy of Office that doesn't freeze all the time!

Here (http://www.openoffice.org/) ya go!

BTW, Cobber, is this happening on your home machine (which connects directly to your ISP's mail servers) or a works machine (which routes mail through the company's mail server)?

"Well of course I can mummy....the program was called Wimbledon!"

Ho ho ho.

And in return:-

Prince Charles arrived in Warrington for the grand civic function to open
the council's latest waste of taxpayer's money. When Charlie climbed out
of the roller, the crowd gasped upon seeing the monstrosity of a hat he was
wearing. It was a moth-eaten, malodorous fox-fur affair; the result of a
misbegotten collaboration between a demented milliner and a crazed taxidermist.

Eventually, after several strong drinks at the post-ceremony buffet, one
of the civic leaders plucked up the courage to ask the prince how he came
to choose that particular piece of "magnificent headgear" (as
he delicately put it)

"Oh!" said the prince (or to be strictly accurate , he said "Aaaaeugh"!,
speaking in that peculiar upper-class British teeth-clenched together
accent that makes "I found my trousers on the ground" come out as "aye
fined may trizers on the grind"), "At breakfast with mummy this morning,
I told her I was coming to Warrington today, and she said, 'Wear the fox
hat.'"

Garry
07-06-2004, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE=brett]Here (http://www.openoffice.org/) ya go!

BTW, Cobber, is this happening on your home machine (which connects directly to your ISP's mail servers) or a works machine (which routes mail through the company's mail server)?

G'day Digger

It's happenin' on the home computer, which just happens to be the work computer too ("they" won't let me in a proper office....one wonders why, NOT!) I'm on a direct ADSL connection....nothing twixt me and the ether except lotsa ether.

You're getting good at the Aussie natter. For the god's sake, please tell me you're not a New Zealander!?

Catchya

Garry

Garry
07-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Deadset, I really do have to work on that posting a quote bizzo!!

brett
07-06-2004, 08:42 AM
You're getting good at the Aussie natter.

'Tis the result of a childhood spent watching "Chopper Squad" and "The Lost Islands"!!!

Ed Hart
07-07-2004, 05:57 AM
Garry, a thought occured ( may be WAY wide of the mark ;) ). Is it possible that your recipients are using OE v6.0 and still have the original default setting to NOT download any attachment that may contain a virus? A link is considered an attachment by most things. All or just some folks?
Ed.

brett
07-07-2004, 06:16 AM
By way of an update, tho' your e-mail (which I forwarded to a number of people) has resulted in much nut scratching, there's still no sign of a solution.

Garry
07-08-2004, 10:40 AM
G'day Brett & Ed, et alia

Thanks for all your efforts, guys!

The problem is really starting to adversely affect my service, and I'm fast reaching "sink the boot into the bloody PC" point.

G'day Ed
It may well be that some of my punters are using message sticks to intercept email...they're mostly folk who are in public housing, and/or close to homelessness, so their technology is rarely what one might call "the latest". However, outmoded technology would not explain why the error message displays when I send an email to me, for I am using Outlook 2003 (the gods only know why).

I have asked various people what programs they're using and it varies -- no pattern is immediately evident. The only hint of a cause I can ascertain relates to the cut & paste factor. URLs etc, typed afresh into each new email, appear to travel well. Problem is, if I were to type URLs, afresh, into each email I send each day, I would never get anything else done.

I'm running ZonePro and PC-Cillin too, but I've shut both down to test URL travelling integrity, and it makes no difference.

I've just sent me the Google URL several times successfully, each time typed directly into the email. Then I cut & pasted it into an email and sent it to me, and it arrived blocked.

It has just occurred to me that to date, only the intrepid Brett has seen the error message, so I've attached (I hope) a screenshot of the link and hover message. Perhaps it'll give someone a clue?

Again, guys, thanks so much for your time and perseverance. I can imagine it must be a bit of a drag having me whine at you over what to most must seem a pretty trifling matter.

Catchya

Garry

JohnF
07-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Just a thought here.
HERE (http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HA010860241033&CTT=4&Origin=CH010500851033)
Notes
When you attach an Office 2003 document to an e-mail message with restricted permission, you automatically restrict access to the document.
If employees do not have Outlook 2003 installed on their computers, they can download the Rights Management Add-on for Microsoft Internet Explorer or another program that supports content with restricted permission.

And HERE (http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/category.aspx?TopLevelCat=CH790018071033&CategoryID=CH010500851033&CTT=4&Origin=CH062556151033)

Outlook 2003 Support Center
HERE (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh%3Ben-us%3Bout2003&x=13&y=12)

Hope one of these helps, Good Luck

Garry
07-08-2004, 05:36 PM
G'day John

Tried your links etc., but unfortunately to no avail.

I am beginning to think I'll just have to get used to the idea of typing all links manually.

Cheers

Garry

Garry
07-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Hi Guri

Well, Brett continues to seek a solution to the BLOCKED:: link drama, and I've been looking for help all over the net too. Even have one fellow who writes for a PC Mag interested in publishing it, as a sort of challenge to the readership. Who knows, maybe he'll offer a reward?

Others who are trying to help seem to think the problem might be one of those things that's addresses with little pomp and absolutely no ceremony, in Xp Service Pack two. Lord know when that'll be released, if ever.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share JPEG with you. It shows just how blocked a link can become, when it travels back and forth between people using the "Reply" function to discuss why Outlook might be blocking links.

Cheers

Garry
Post scriptum: for some reason I'm still not receiving instant email notification when you guys post, so please forgive me if I appear tardy responding. It's not because I'm not grateful for your assistance that I don't reply quickly.

Garry
07-11-2004, 06:43 AM
G'day Intrepid Guri

I think (everything crossed here) that I may have found a way around the BLOCKED:: problem. I've managed to send a number of links to myself, several times, cut & paste style, without any of them displaying the "blocked" prefix. They all seem to work just fine.

The secret? I've altered Outlook's settings to compose in RTF, instead of HTML. This allows me to make my bulletins look pretty while not blocking everything that looks even remotely linkish.

Now, here's the rub (probably), there must be a reason why people do not usually send stuff in RTF, instead of HTML? Is it just a matter of HTML making for a smaller overall file size, thereby keeping the upload/download issues to a minimum, or are there a whole bunch of systems out there that cannot read RTF....is RTF blocked by sundry firewalls/anti-virus or something like that? I'm sure there must be a downside to my "solution", else surely more people would be using RTF?

Is there anything I should know about sending email in RTF?

Garry

Garry
07-13-2004, 07:25 PM
G'day Guri

Tools - Options - Security tab - Change Automatic Download Settings.... uncheck the: "Don't download picture or other content automatically in HTML email" box and voila, problem solved!

Once this option was disabled, the blocked link crisis was no-more!

Have reported the problem to Microsoft, so maybe they'll address it in some future service pack. No....I'm not holding my breath either.

My sincere thanks to all who bent their brains towards resolving the problem. I know it was a hard one...even wildly esoteric...and I honestly appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

Until next time....!

Garry