PDA

View Full Version : Need science fair project ideas for twins!

ladyljs
09-26-2004, 03:21 PM
:confused: I have just been informed that my twins need a science fair project....they are 6 and in the first grade!

I can't think of anything but a volcano...and that has been wayyyyy overdone!

Does anyone have any ideas that they can share? I would really appreciate it! It is hard enough coming up with one idea....but two?!?!?! AND TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE, they will be competing with one another!

Thanks for all of your help!

brett
09-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Instant transportation: a classroom study in quantum teleportation.

Just Rachel
09-26-2004, 06:14 PM
I always liked vinegar and baking soda in a pill bottle. You'd have to figure the science part out, though. :D

lacyrobin`
09-26-2004, 07:35 PM
Loads of info on the web. Do a search for scientific fair projects and stand back.

sky
09-26-2004, 08:30 PM
http://school.discovery.com/sciencefaircentral/

Science Fair Central offers ideas for science fair projects and ...
Science Fair Central offers ideas for science fair projects and experiments for kids. Discovery School logo, Brain Boosters. Clip Art Gallery. Puzzlemaker. ..

ISD77: CyberFair - Science Fair Ideas
... at sample projects, look at this list, look at projects in books or projects from last years science fair - then add your own question, your own idea to them. ...
http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/resources/cf/ideas.html

Either one of them should help

Linda
09-26-2004, 09:22 PM
You can show how the waters of the Dead Sea work! ;)

Take two containers and fill them both with water. Add a small potato to each container. Only in one - add salt. The more salt you add, the higher the potato floats. :)

Another fun idea is to make a balloon car. Take a light weight item, add four wheels and the balloon at the rear and you have a balloon car. It will show how using air can make the car run. Of course there are some tricks . . . I tried several to see what would work best before I showed the students. The best one I came up with was using a plastic container from strawberries. I cut it down until it was low and then I inserted two dowel rods - one up front and one in the back. You might have to use hole punchers to make a hole in the container. Then I cut the bottom from four styrofoam cups and using a push pin inserted them into the ends of the dowel rods. Then I put a rubber band around the two back wheels only. This will help with the traction! ;) And the finishing touch was taping a balloon onto a straw and inserting it through a hole right in the center back. Blow the balloon up and set the car down on the floor and off it goes!! :D

KySunshine
09-26-2004, 10:13 PM
I was searching for some scary animals for my nieces class at school and ran across this site thought maybe you could use it, they say the books can be found in the library.

http://haldago.org/scibooks.htm

ladyljs
09-27-2004, 05:35 AM
WOW! Thanks for all of the ideas!

Linda...my little boy fell in love with the car idea! We will definitely be using this one!

Brett...teleportation huh? Maybe Mom needs to go back to school first! LOL!

Again, thank you all for the wonderful links and ideas, I am sure that we will find something else for my little girl!

Laurie

Linda
09-27-2004, 09:11 PM
You're very welcome! Let me know if you need any of the school "blah blah" about what that teaches. Also, if you'd like a picture of the car let me know and I'll post one. :D

ladyljs
09-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Linda,

That would be wonderful...if you don't mind!

I was never good at science...actually hated the subject when I was younger. Maybe it was the fact that I never had a good science teacher.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your kind offer,
Laurie

Linda
10-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Laurie, you are very welcome!

Here is a picture - let me know if you need any other angle. ;)

I forgot to tell you too that I took 4 balloons and cut the very tip end off (the one that you blow into) which then made 4 rubber rings which I slipped onto the dowel rods. I found in my experiement that the car wanted to curve. When I put the balloon rings up close to the body of the car - it straightened.

Notice too that you can color the wheels, but I wouldn't add anything like glitter, etc. as that will tend to weigh the car down and you want it to be as light as possible.

Don't worry either when you push the push pins in if the dowel rods crack a little bit. I just used a little wood glue where the splits were and they were fine.

I also used some black electrical tape to tape the balloon around the straw and then used a holepunch to center a hole in the back of the car to push the straw through.

The balloon car is a great way to talk about topics such as propulsion, action and reaction - Newton's Third Law of Motion, and energy! ;)

BTW, forgot to tell you - this car won 1st place for distance traveled!! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/General1/ballooncar2.gif

Linda
10-02-2004, 02:11 AM
Almost forgot! Here are a couple more ideas that your daughter might enjoy! ;)

You can have her draw around one of her hands on white paper and then let her draw fingernails on the hand. Setting the white paper onto a piece of larger black construction paper always stands out! Then secure this to some poster paper with room underneath for a daily chart.

Now, paint her fingernails of one hand with 5 different brands of nail polish and have her record on each of the drawn fingers what brand is on that nail. Also let her paint each drawn fingernail with the same polish as the corresponding nails of her hand. Then let her make a record of what happens. As each finger is subjected to the same things each day - this will make a good comparison. In the end, she will know which brand stands up the best.

Or . . . she might like to have two "straight" plants and place them near a sunny window sill. One plant she can rotate every day - while the other can be left in the same position. At the end of the experiment, she should still have one "straight" plant (the rotated one) while the other one should now be growing to one side - trying the reach the sunlight! :)

ladyljs
10-02-2004, 06:15 PM
OH LINDA!

What wonderful ideas! Thank you so much for going through the trouble of typing them out for me! Like I said before, science was never my forte...

You must have made some really great projects over the years!

Thank you again! I really appreciate your help!

If things turn out well, I'll post a pic of their projects in November!

Laurie

Linda
10-03-2004, 12:57 AM
You're very welcome! ;)

Hope their projects turn out great! :)

jholland1964
10-03-2004, 01:24 AM
One more project, easy, not expensive, and my daughter won her science fair with this years ago...
Go to Walmart or somewhere like that. Buy 3 plants, I believe she used philodendron. You just need very small plants, and get ones all the same size, number of leaves, height etc. Measure each plant as soon as they are placed in their respective sites to show their starting size.
One of them you place somewhere which doesn't get any direct light. One next to a window which gets sunshine, one under a regularly used lamp, at night only. Plants are to be treated identically...exactly same amount of water and plant food. Each day plants should be measured and their heights recorded. She observed and measured the plants for 6 weeks and at the end of the 6th week she showed which plant had the most growth. Now she was a 6th grader at the time so her project was a bit more complex...she used 4 plants, music was played for one of them daily, one plant was totally isolated from any noise throughout the experiment but had identical light sources etc., as the others. She then had to write a comprehensive report on her scientific findings. But a 6 year old could easily just start with the three plants and just observe the effects of the different lighting on each plant.