PDA

View Full Version : To make this letter: [in a laptop]

Danvina
01-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Hi!
I keep correspondence with friends in the Spanish language. I used a desktop computer and to make the following letter: I used the combination of Ctrl+164 [the numbers in the numerical pad]. Now I am writing in a laptop [Toshiba Satellite, with Windows XP, Home Edition] and I have no idea how to make that letter any more, since the laptop dont have the numerical pad. The only escape for now has been to copy that letter somewhere else and paste it. You realize this system is not very practical. Would you know the solution to this problem?
Waiting anxiously your answer.
Thanks
Dan

Bear
01-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Somewhere on your keyboard you should have an fn key (function key) pressing that key should activate the number keys above the letter keys on your keyboard. That's how my Sony laptop worked, may not be the same with a Toshiba.

What's the model number of the laptop? Maybe we can find some documentation that will help.

brett
01-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Click. (http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm)

Balo
01-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Go to Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools and click on Character Map. Peruse the various fonts and scroll to the tilde. Highlight / Select / Copy / Paste where you need it.

Danvina
01-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Somewhere on your keyboard you should have an fn key (function key) pressing that key should activate the number keys above the letter keys on your keyboard. That's how my Sony laptop worked, may not be the same with a Toshiba.

What's the model number of the laptop? Maybe we can find some documentation that will help.

I tried to use the Fn key and the numerical pad, in this case would
be: Fn +jou but it does not work.
My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A75-S226

Danvina
01-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Go to Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools and click on Character Map. Peruse the various fonts and scroll to the tilde. Highlight / Select / Copy / Paste where you need it.

This way you suggest, is not much different of what I am using now!

Ok-Lets-Go
01-05-2005, 02:24 PM
hold down the alt key and use the numbers 0209----

LARRY
01-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Here's a list of ALT CODES.

http://www.coloryourprofyle.com/phade/alt.html

Larry

HARLEY
01-05-2005, 02:48 PM
----------------------

or alt key + 164/165>>>>>>>>

Ok-Lets-Go
01-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the alt and a # without the 0 didn't know it would work both ways but you get different results. 0134= 134=

Danvina
01-08-2005, 10:39 AM

Sorry, I tried Alt+0209, but don't work! :confused:

Danvina
01-08-2005, 10:50 AM
----------------------

or alt key + 164/165>>>>>>>>

Yes, that was the combination I used back when I had my destop. But again, now I have a laptop. That combination: Alt+164 or Alt+165 works only with the numerical pad on regular keyboards. Not on laptops!
:(
Dan

brett
01-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Did you see the link ("click") in my previous post? Do you use Word? If so, hold down:-

Ctrl+Shift+~

Release the keys and then type "n".

Danvina
01-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Did you see the link ("click") in my previous post? Do you use Word? If so, hold down:-

Ctrl+Shift+~

Release the keys and then type "n".

Thanks Brett!
Yes, this works in Word! I tried before your link, but to tell you the truth, I got lost. I was looking more than anything for a way to make "" in my mail in Outlook Express and in chats like MSN Messenger. I really didn't try it on Word. Now I can redact my mail in Word and copy and paste it to Outlook Express. I will keep searching for a way to make this works on all other cases. Thanks again!
Dan

brett
01-08-2005, 12:51 PM
OK. Outside of Word, you can install Spanish language support via > Control Panel > Regional and Language options and, once installed, switch between languages using the Language Toolbar. In "Spanish Mode", typing "'e" should produce "", etc, etc. I think this work - but I haven't actually put it to the test!