PDA

View Full Version : Pogo Games

bjottewell
08-19-2005, 06:24 AM
I can no longer load my pogo games. I have contacted Microsoft, Dell, Pogo, SBC and no one can help me. I think it is my java. Pogo told me to reinstall java, I did but it didn't help. I can get into the Pogo site, but when I try to start the games and it tells me that the applet has started the computer freezes up and I can't get into the game itself. I am running a Dell computer with XP and I have sp2 installed. I have 640 ram and 40 GB hard drive. I was able to get into the games for a little while after updateing to SP2. No one it seems can help me. Hope someone can. I have done everything that the above sites has told me too and no luck with getting Pogo games.

JohnF
08-19-2005, 06:50 AM
Its cause from pogo spy ads they use on there links.

Read this link http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
then go to next link.

Scroll down to and download it, you can turn it off and on for certain web links BUT always turn back on when done with games
HOSTS File Manager
http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/SoftMain.htm
The HOSTS file is used for blocking unwanted web pages from loading in your browser. However, management of the file is not all that easy for novice users. The one drawback is that once loaded, the file is soon forgotten and not updated nearly often enough. The HOSTS File Managerę has several feature that make it more secure against some of the newer tricks such as HOSTS file hijacking

LARRY
08-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Do you have any anti spyware programs installed and updated?

If you do, run them. Clean out your Internet Temp files and cookies.

Larry

Dathom
08-19-2005, 07:33 AM
Which browser are you using ?? What particular game are you trying to play, it can make a difference....Dathom

HARLEY
08-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Pogo is getting worse by the day with their connection problems..!

The hosts file will cause problems if you have it!

Here's a toggle switch which works good!

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hoststoggle.html

Other reasons include blocked scripts from pogo or adblockers!

bjottewell
08-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Which browser are you using ?? What particular game are you trying to play, it can make a difference....Dathom
I cannot get into any of them. I can go as far as the game trying to download then at the bottom of the window it says (loading jvmtest applet ) and then the thing freezes and when I try to close it I get the message that the site is not responding. I can't understand it seeing as I have been playing the games since 1999. I recently put sp2 in and I think that might be it. I have done all the things like cleaning out the temporary files and even the cache in java, but to no avail nothing works. I am using internet explorer 6

MNGAL
08-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Did you go into Tools>internet options>privacy>pop up settings and in the big box type in *.pogo.com ? I had to do that after SP2 and also download java again. Might have been Sunjava, I forget, but one worked and the other didn't.

*Edit Did you delete all temporary files and cookies? You might have some old pogo entries in there that are corrupted since SP2.

bjottewell
08-20-2005, 07:02 AM
Yes I have done all that but nothing works. I did not uninstall my sun java and reinstall it I was told to just download sun java and it would override the old one. I don't believe it. Do I just uninstall sun java in add and remove programs and then go to the site and download it again? Thanks for help.

Dathom
08-20-2005, 07:10 AM
Yes, if you are going to re-install your Java, uninstall the old {from add\remove] first, then download Sun Java...HTH...Dathom

HARLEY
08-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Do I just uninstall sun java in add and remove programs and then go to the site and download it again? Thanks for help.
-----------------------------

THIS ONE (http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=jre-1.5.0_04-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=noreg)

bjottewell
08-20-2005, 02:19 PM
I have these things in my add/remove progams am not sure If I should remove them all to install java...Java 5.0 update 1...Jave 5.0 update 2....Jave update 5.0 4 and then java 2 runtime enviroment, SE v1.4.2 Do I uninstall all of them?

HARLEY
08-20-2005, 02:46 PM
I have these things in my add/remove progams am not sure If I should remove them all to install java...Java 5.0 update 1...Jave 5.0 update 2....Jave update 5.0 4 and then java 2 runtime enviroment, SE v1.4.2 Do I uninstall all of them?
-----------------------------

Yes .........reboot and install the version in my link!

bjottewell
08-23-2005, 10:40 AM
I reinstalled the java and no luck still cannot get into the pogo games. I can get into the site but when the games start to download I get the message at the bottom of the window applet.com.pogo.client.jvmtest.applet started and that is where it freezes up. Could sp2 be causing this because I just installed it on July 31. Also thank you for your help so far... appreciate it.

HARLEY
08-23-2005, 11:29 AM
I reinstalled the java and no luck still cannot get into the pogo games. I can get into the site but when the games start to download I get the message at the bottom of the window applet.com.pogo.client.jvmtest.applet started and that is where it freezes up. Could sp2 be causing this because I just installed it on July 31. Also thank you for your help so far... appreciate it.
-------------------------------------------

Your computer freezes or just the window?

Phil
08-23-2005, 01:19 PM
I believe the installation of SP2 causes the automatic pop up blocker to function and pogo won't work if you block their pop ups. You should enable all pop ups from pogo.com.

M3W
08-23-2005, 10:13 PM
uninstall you old JAVA then go to the downloded programs file on your computer and delete the pogo games that are there, then at the pogo site it will give you a java link when you try to play a game. go there install the new java, reboot go to pogo start your game. It will install an updated vertion of the game and you should be good to go. That's how i got mine back in.

cdysmamaw
08-25-2005, 06:05 AM
I just go to popup setting and tell it to approve or let in pogo.com. That worked for me. :)

bjottewell
08-25-2005, 08:08 AM
I have done that and it didn't work. I even took sp2 out thinking it would take care of the problem no such luck. I give up.

bjottewell
08-25-2005, 08:10 AM
-------------------------------------------

Your computer freezes or just the window?
Just the pogo window. I have to close it and the end program comes up and it returns me to the desktop. I have tried everything. Even took sp2 out thinking that would help, it didn't. Darn thing took me 5 hrs on dialup to put in now I have to do it all over again.

smurfette48
08-25-2005, 08:20 AM
I use to have the same problem and it was my blocker....I hit and hold down my ctrl key before I start a game and that lets me in the games. Try that.
:)

HARLEY
08-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Try another browser to see if the same problem exists!

I know I have a problem with Pogo on my moox version of Firefox!
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/switch

Rowan
08-25-2005, 11:01 AM
I have a big problem running Pogo games in the firefox browser. I use maxthon when playing Pogo.
Don't know if this will help, but if you are a member of club pogo, when you bring up a game it will be downloaded to your downloaded Programs file. If you are on dial up, it can take awhile and seem to not be responding. Periodically, they update the games and another download has to be done.
Sometimes this can take longer than you would expect. Have you attempted to wait it out for any period of time (some take 10 to 15 minutes on my computer)?
Also are you allowing it to download these files?
Rowan

bjottewell
08-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks I am at the end of my rope so I will try what you said. I have tried everything else. Wish me luck I have been trying to get in for about 2 weeks.

cdysmamaw
08-30-2005, 05:28 AM
Pogo did tell me to clean out Java once in a while. I do that on a regular basis now.I still have problems once in a while, but I think it is on Pogo's end. :)