PDA

View Full Version : VCR sound problem

Pepper
09-12-2005, 11:31 PM
I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. I tape a soap every day on one VCR & play it back at night on another VCR & I have to turn the sound way up to hear it although the sound is normal on the tv when I tape it. What can I do about this? Appreciate any suggestions on this. :)

MrBill
09-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Is it normal when you watch it on the original VCR that you did the taping on?
Do other tapes in the VCR have low volume?

Pepper
09-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Is it normal when you watch it on the original VCR that you did the taping on?
Do other tapes in the VCR have low volume?

I haven't tried it on the VCR that I taped it on. But other tapes have low volumn too.

MrBill
09-12-2005, 11:42 PM
I haven't tried it on the VCR that I taped it on. But other tapes have low volumn too.
Tells me the VCR is going bad or has dirty heads and can't read the sound properly. Used to be able to take a q-tip with a little alcohol on it and clean the heads where the tape ran against them to clear up noisy or fuzzy pictures on the screen.

waterbaby
09-12-2005, 11:50 PM
I don't know, but I think it has to do with the sound quality of each VCR. Why don't you tape it on the other VCR and see if that helps? Or tape it on the same VCR and play it back on the one you taped it from and see what happens? If it is the heads, you can buy a head cleaner and try that. How is the quality of the picture? Is that okay?

Pepper
09-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Mr. Bill & waterbaby, thanks for your replies. I used a wet head cleaner on both VCR's but I will try that again. Sometimes the picture is bad too but not all the time. I will try taping & playing back on the same VCR & see what happens. Thanks to both of you for your help.

waterbaby
09-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Mr. Bill & waterbaby, thanks for your replies. I used a wet head cleaner on both VCR's but I will try that again. Sometimes the picture is bad too but not all the time. I will try taping & playing back on the same VCR & see what happens. Thanks to both of you for your help.
Maybe has something to do with the tracking?

Pepper
09-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Maybe has something to do with the tracking?

That's kind of what I was thinking but I don't know what to do about it, do you? :)

waterbaby
09-13-2005, 12:40 AM
That's kind of what I was thinking but I don't know what to do about it, do you? :)
It depends on your VCR, and how old it is. A lot of VCR's have automatic tracking, but some you have to do manually, I really couldn't tell you without seeing the VCR or knowing the year and make.

biswhisk
09-13-2005, 01:24 AM
I keep having problems with one vcr, it tapes but the volume on playback goes up & down irregardless of where it gets watched at. I quit paying on the warranty(it was costing me 80.00/year and I had to drive 50+ miles to get it serviced). It dawned on me that for that price I could get a new one. Just last night I set another vcr to tape but it didn't tape the sound from the channel I had on. Took that tape to various other vcrs in the house and retaped over it and it did fine. So I gotta replace 2 vcrs now. Good thing the vcrs quit working while reruns were on.

It's official, I HAVE NO LIFE, because I can't wait for the new tv season to begin. I was also jumping for joy because the farmer cut down the back cornfield. Yippee, I can see the trains in the distance.

ShadowThomas
09-13-2005, 01:40 AM
I keep having problems with one vcr, it tapes but the volume on playback goes up & down irregardless of where it gets watched at. I quit paying on the warranty(it was costing me 80.00/year and I had to drive 50+ miles to get it serviced). It dawned on me that for that price I could get a new one. Just last night I set another vcr to tape but it didn't tape the sound from the channel I had on. Took that tape to various other vcrs in the house and retaped over it and it did fine. So I gotta replace 2 vcrs now. Good thing the vcrs quit working while reruns were on.

It's official, I HAVE NO LIFE, because I can't wait for the new tv season to begin. I was also jumping for joy because the farmer cut down the back cornfield. Yippee, I can see the trains in the distance.
LMAO. To funny. :D :D

Pepper
09-13-2005, 02:17 PM
It depends on your VCR, and how old it is. A lot of VCR's have automatic tracking, but some you have to do manually, I really couldn't tell you without seeing the VCR or knowing the year and make.

Both VCR's have automatic tracking so I guess that eliminates that. But I think I have narrowed it down to the VCR I use to play back on because I put the tape in two other VCR's & it does fine. I guess I'll replace the one VCR & hope that solves my problem Thanks to everyone that replied. :)

Linda0199
09-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Just a guess... I used to change tapes.

amb141
09-13-2005, 03:27 PM
You can buy a Hi-Fi Stereo VCR at Circuit City for $55 (http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/categorylist.do?catOid=-12880&N=20012866+20012880&c=1)

If you are like me and have hundreds of VHS tapes that you do like to watch occasionally it might be a good idea to buy a VCR now -- while you can still get one, and before your current machine breaks down completely. I suspect that hybrid VCR/DVD players will be available for a while, but a standalone VCR (I think) will go the way of the 8-track tape player and the cassette Walkman before too long.

alan

Pepper
09-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Just a guess... I used to change tapes.

That was the first thing I did. Since I record everyday, I thought that might be it but it wasn't.

Pepper
09-13-2005, 03:38 PM
You can buy a Hi-Fi Stereo VCR at Circuit City for $55 (http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/categorylist.do?catOid=-12880&N=20012866+20012880&c=1)

If you are like me and have hundreds of VHS tapes that you do like to watch occasionally it might be a good idea to buy a VCR now -- while you can still get one, and before your current machine breaks down completely. I suspect that hybrid VCR/DVD players will be available for a while, but a standalone VCR (I think) will go the way of the 8-track tape player and the cassette Walkman before too long.

alan

I'm sure this is true & I'm shopping for one tomorrow. :)

biswhisk
09-13-2005, 07:44 PM
I got lucky, one of the vcrs cable wires was loose so I thought maybe thats what the problem was, and sure enough it was. I smell a refund!!!!! You know I never would have thought about checking the cord but then remember whenever someone has probs with their comp, people suggest checking the cords/plugs.