PDA

View Full Version : Help please! I am getting a new pop up

daisy
10-12-2005, 09:42 AM
I ran spybot last night before going to bed,and then turned off my computer .
Today I turned on my computer and the first thing that came up was a box to install Win-Fixer 2005. :(

I have never heard of it and never seen it before. It keeps trying to install. I have been clicking it off since I wasn't sure about it.
It says Micro soft on the top and says my computer might not run well with out it. Do I need this? :confused:

thanks !

Phil
10-12-2005, 09:49 AM
According to http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453094807 this is spyware. No. You do not want it.

daisy
10-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks Phil,

I had that feeling as I had never seen it before. I don't know why or where it came from !
I got very few popups until last month and now am getting a few of them. This one is new to me! {{ sigh}} :(

Long Island Umpire
10-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Shirley,

I hope that the program you have listed as being installed, "Adaware", really is "Ad-Aware SE". The one I ask about actually is a program that installs adware, some thing you are trying to prevent. One must be careful of similar sounding program names. Here's some programs that are recommended in home aresenals to help keep computers clean. Some prevent installation of unwanted programs and others detect malware already installed. All are free and have signature updates for protection.

Tom

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

IE-SPYAD: Restricted Sites List for Internet Explorer
Last Updated: Oct 12 '05

IE-SPYAD adds a long list of sites and domains associated with known advertisers, marketers, and crapware pushers to the Restricted sites zone of Internet Explorer. Once you merge this list of sites and domains into the Registry, the web sites for these companies will not be able to use cookies, ActiveX controls, Java applets, or scripting to compromise your privacy or your PC while you surf the Net. Nor will they be able to use your browser to push unwanted pop-ups, cookies, or auto-installing programs on your PC.

Please note that IE-SPYAD is not an ad blocker. It will not block standard banner ads in Internet Explorer. What this Restricted sites list of known advertisers and crapware pushers will do, however, is:

stop unwanted crapware from being installed behind your
back via "drive-by-downloads";

prevent the hijacking of your home page and other key
Internet Explorer settings;

shut down ActiveX, Java, and scripting, all of which can
be employed to push obnoxious advertising on you and
compromise your privacy and security;

block cookies, which can be used to monitor and track your
travels around the Internet;

combat obnoxious script-based popups that clutter your
screen and force unwanted advertising on you.

************************************************** **********************************************
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
SpywareBlaster 3.4

Prevent the installation of spyware and other potentially unwanted software!SpywareBlaster is freeware. Please consider donating to further our cause! Click here for more information.
Spyware, adware, browser hijackers, and dialers are some of the fastest-growing threats on the Internet today.
By simply browsing to a web page, you could find your computer to be the brand-new host of one of these unwanted fiends!

The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.

SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web.

And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background.

SpywareBlaster is freeware for personal and educational use.
************************************************** ***********************************************
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

-squared (a-squared) is a complementary product to antivirus software and desktop firewalls on MS Windows computers. Antivirus software specializes in detecting classic viruses. Many available products have weaknesses in detecting other malicious software (Malware) like Trojans, Dialers, Worms and Spyware (Adware). a-squared fills the gap that malware writers exploit.
************************************************** *********************************************
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Known spyware on your PC can be detected and removed. This helps reduce negative effects caused by spyware including slow PC performance, annoying pop-up ads, unwanted changes to Internet settings, and unauthorized use of your private information. Continuous protection improves Internet browsing safety by guarding over fifty (50) ways spyware can enter your PC.

daisy
10-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Actually I don't have any ad-ware any more. I forgot to delete it from my list here. (Sorry! you all know I am a dumb old blond :) )

I just have spybot, zone alarm, and Norton anti- virus now. I am getting a lot of pop ups again. They just started about 4 or 5 weeks ago. :confused:

I am tired of them so, Which one of the sites listed do you prefer??
thanks, Shirley

MrBill
10-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Shat version of Spybot do you have?

daisy
10-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Shat version of Spybot do you have?

I am sorry but I have no idea. It says Spybot Search and Destroy1.2.
I did a new install a couple months ago. I saw a discussion here to do that.

I am so dumb about computers that I feel stupid asking questions here! :o

Long Island Umpire
10-12-2005, 10:02 PM
I am so dumb about computers that I feel stupid asking questions here! :o

Ain't no such thang as a "dumb question". That's how we learn, by asking. I suggest you redownload, install, update and scan with Ad-Aware SE from Lavasoft. http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

The current version of Spybot Search & Destroy is 1.4. Here's the download page. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Have you gotten and used the other recommended utilities?

Tom

daisy
10-12-2005, 10:42 PM
]

Have you gotten and used the other recommended utilities?

Tom

No, I wasn't sure I could combine some of them with what I have now.

MrBill
10-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Spybot is now 1.4 and you should go and get it. Uninstall Spybot from within itself as there is an Uninstall. Then go here CLICK (http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=2471&file=12&evp=2470f9bfb0cc682334ff8c4459556118) and install the latest version. Then go right back and check for updates and then Immunize it. When it is installing, choose Tea Timer to load also. This is more protection.
Then download this CLICK (http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=2859&file=12&evp=61b0e8ad41924a03c37615f4682b4cef) and go right back and check for updates. Then enable ALL protection and you should check both Programs for updates at least once a week. Just takes a few seconds to do and will keep you safer.

daisy
10-13-2005, 11:24 AM
OK, Now I have;
Spybot1.4,
Spyblaster,
ZA,
and Norton AV,

Also is this enough protection???

This is confusing to me too;
The spybot said 147 bad blocked and 6993 possible, please immunize.
What am I supposed to do about this?

Thanks for the help. :)
Shirley

sharber60
10-13-2005, 11:39 AM
OK, Now I have;
Spybot1.4,
Spyblaster,
ZA,
and Norton AV,

Also is this enough protection???

This is confusing to me too;
The spybot said 147 bad blocked and 6993 possible, please immunize.
What am I supposed to do about this?

Thanks for the help. :)
Shirley

In Immunize click the Green Plus + at the top of the screen to immunize.

MrBill
10-13-2005, 11:48 AM
On the left side of the page, click on Immunize and on the next page, click on the GREEN + at the top and it will immunize everything. Do this every time there is an update. Sometimes there are updates but nothing to immunize and that is fine. Did you enable all protection in SpywareBlaster?

daisy
10-13-2005, 12:02 PM
On the left side of the page, click on Immunize and on the next page, click on the GREEN + at the top and it will immunize everything. Do this every time there is an update. Sometimes there are updates but nothing to immunize and that is fine. Did you enable all protection in SpywareBlaster?

Yes, I did all the protection in spywareblaster.

I just did the spybot and it now says over 7000 blocked.

Thanks so much for all the help you all have given me! :) :)

MrBill
10-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Probably 7140 to be exact. Did you do the Tea Timer thing? If so, by the clock should be a lock on top of a window and if you hover your mouse over it, it should say 1173. If not, it will in a day or so.

Long Island Umpire
10-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Shirley,

I would take advantage of all aforementioned programs. One finds what the others miss. I trust you installed "SpywareBlaster" and not "Spyblaster" whatever that is. Safe and Happy Surfing.

Tom

daisy
10-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Shirley,

I would take advantage of all aforementioned programs. One finds what the others miss. I trust you installed "SpywareBlaster" and not "Spyblaster" whatever that is. Safe and Happy Surfing.

Tom
OOPS!It is spywareblaster! I fixed it in my signature too.
I just got a house full of company and will check on the other "fixes" when they leave! :)

Long Island Umpire
10-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Enjoy your friends company !!!!

MrBill
10-13-2005, 12:44 PM
That was the link that I gave her to JavaCool's SpywareBlaster...

Long Island Umpire
10-13-2005, 12:50 PM
That was the link that I gave her to JavaCool's SpywareBlaster...

Thank you Mr. Bill. I also furnished her the link in Post #4. Wanted to double check one of those rogue programs was not installed by mistake.

daisy
10-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Everyone is gone! 3 of my 5 kids were here and 1 grandson! None of the 8 great grandkids though. ( I told you I was probably too old for this computer stuff)

Yes, I did do the TeaTimer. :)

I thought some were against the Microsoft (beta) Is it ok now?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en

Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially unwanted software

Long Island Umpire
10-13-2005, 02:52 PM
MSAS has been one of the best malware finding utilties, even when it was known as Giant Antispyware, before Microsoft purchased that company, and renamed it. They have added to the core program and it does a good job. BTW...Windows Operating Systems and MS Internet Explorer, could be considered a "beta" also. Why else would they constantly have fixes and patches, and patches for the fixes? Get the MSAS and use it with the other programs in your arsnal/

daisy
10-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Great! that's why I love this site.
I have no clue to most computer stuff and I always come here for help!

The a2Square found 47 items. I rarely know what it all is ~ so do I just say to remove what ever they find?

MrBill
10-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Yep...

Long Island Umpire
10-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Yes Ma'am. The other applications will find nasties the other ones miss. b That's why it's recommended to use multiple utilities.

daisy
10-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Do I run the complete a2Square scan every week too? It took forever, but I am happy that it did the job! :)

thanks , Shirley

MrBill
10-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Do mine monthly even if there are updates and the Spybot monthly also. Do check them at least weekly for updates or when somebody post them on the boards.

daisy
10-13-2005, 09:14 PM
The a2Square keeps popping up with messages asking me what to do?
I got these 2 just now.

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Found possible backdoor behaviour
While executing the program aČ detected a possible malicious behavior. Normally this behavior is common for backdoors only. In rare cases this can be a false detection of legit server software. It's recommended to terminate the program and to submit it for further analysis.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
Found possible backdoor behaviour

While executing the program aČ detected a possible malicious behavior. Normally this behavior is common for backdoors only. In rare cases this can be a false detection of legit server software. It's recommended to terminate the program and to submit it for further analysis.

MrBill
10-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Did you do the FREE one or the PAID one with a 30 day FREE trial. Open up a2Squared and look at the expiration date near the bottom right. What date is there?

daisy
10-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Did you do the FREE one or the PAID one with a 30 day FREE trial. Open up a2Squared and look at the expiration date near the bottom right. What date is there?

The date is 11/12/05
Did I do wrong?

MrBill
10-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Yes, you got the paid for version. Just use Add or Remove programs in the Control Panel and remove it. Then go back and download the FREE one.