PDA

View Full Version : can you use flash drive in safe mode?

Lewis28
11-08-2005, 10:41 PM
I need to save some files before I do a full re-install of win98se. Is there any way to be able to use a USB flash drive in either safe mode or from DOS?

compaq presario 5900z, athlon 600 MHz, 256M RAM, win98se (updated)

hal9000
11-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Is there any way to be able to use a USB flash drive in either safe mode or from DOS?

Have you tried using your USB flash drive in safe mode? If not, try it.

amb141
11-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Certainly not in DOS -- and I don't think that USB support is loaded in Safe Mode either. On the other hand, hal is right -- it won't hurt to try it. But I don't think it will work.

Can you not boot Windows to transfer the files to the USB Flash drive?

alan

Sunspire
11-09-2005, 01:29 AM
When I run windows XP in safe mode I can use my USB flash drive.

QuinnK
11-09-2005, 01:59 PM
When I run windows XP in safe mode I can use my USB flash drive.

I think that only works in XP. You have to install a driver for flash drives in W98se... and I don't believe the driver, and probably general USB support, is loaded in SM. I think any USB support would have to be available from the bios in W98se.

Take care... Quinn

Lewis28
11-09-2005, 03:15 PM
I did try to use it in SM, but no go. I was wondering if there was a way to get it work I didn't know about. Guess not.

I cannot get the PC to bootup normally. I get a blue screen excepton OE in 0028:00000004 in VxD ---, called from 0028:C15183C3 in VxD ---. It freezes up when I try to continue and I end up in safe mode after powering off & on. I have gotten a variety of the error addresses, mostly very similiar. Once I did get the full address: 0028:C001D42A in VxD NDIS(01)+000058B6, called from 0028:C001C344 in VxD NDIS(01)+000047D0. It was the second blue screen message in that attempt.

I have done some troubleshooting:
>selective startup (all unchecked) - still there
>diagnostic startup (went pretty much directly to safe mode -- no blue screen though)
>tried to bootup with all network connections (except internal) undone --blue screen still there
>register restore -- didn't help & last attempt it failed
>tried to uninstall the software I was attempting to install that was the trigger for this mess (Nikon PictureProject 1.1 & ArcSoft Suite). Occurred 1st time on the auto restart from the install. When I went to uninstall (from Safe Mode), it started to finish the install, but called for a disk and that was that. The files show up in a Program folder, but not when I go to the add/remove utility. Should I just delete the folders & try disk cleanup? Or will that just leave a registry problem?

I am attempting to pull key files from the PC so I can be free to do a clean install. I've gotten most everything, except I'm having trouble with OE6.0 transfering to another PC. I tried to see if I could copy a folder to another PC and open it, but it would not. I tried copying the folder into the correct folder for the other PC, but it would not recognize it. I went to the MS support and tried the way they recomend & it didn't work either. Maybe that was just for the same PC? The versions are slightly different last 4 numbers .1123 going to .1106 -- would that be the problem?

Didn't mean to get this long winded, but you get sucked into one of these messes and one thing leads to another and to another...

Thanks for any and all help on this.

QuinnK
11-09-2005, 06:56 PM
I've gotten most everything, except I'm having trouble with OE6.0 transfering to another PC. I tried to see if I could copy a folder to another PC and open it, but it would not. I tried copying the folder into the correct folder for the other PC, but it would not recognize it.

The only thing you can transfer is the store folder, which may be what you're trying to do. You can find the location by opening OE, going to tools > options > maintenance > and then 'store folder'. Once you see where it's located, you can go to that location and copy the complete folder (named Outlook Express) to wherever for backup (you of course have to have some way to transfer it to another computer).

In a new installation, you first update OE to version 6, if it's earlier than that, then go to the store folder location in the new installation, delete the 'Outlook Express' store folder, then copy the one you saved earlier (copy to retain a backup) to that same location you just deleted the new one from. If you do it right, when you then open OE, everything will be there from the old installation. This doesn't include the contacts (address book), it needs to be exported out of the address book to be saved (at least that's the easiest).

If you're trying to use the saved store folder temporarily in an existing installation, you would have to move the store folder out of it's place in the existing installation, and replace it with the one you have saved.

I don't know exactly what your situation is, but sounds like finding a way to transfer stuff is your problem on saving your data.

Take care... Quinn

Lewis28
11-10-2005, 12:32 AM
I've been trying to copy the individual files from that folder. So you have to do the entire folder, huh. In safe mode that is a challenge, since the floppy is the only means in win98se... I guess it is a string of floppy copies. It is letting be continue the copy disk to disk.

I have gone to the Microsoft support site to see what they had to say. They actually copy/paste the contents of the store folder to a backup folder. The help menu in OE6 says to compact all and copy the store folder.

Nothing talks very much about restoring the backup, except the site which says to import. And they didn't mention a PC to PC transfer either. I'll probably try your way.

Thanks for the help Quinn!

N5RDC
11-10-2005, 07:49 AM
USB ports can be used in DOS, but you will have to add the drivers to a startup disk & modify the autoexec.bat & config.sys files. See instructions HERE (http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm)
You will need to watch the startup screen to see what drive letter is assigned to the flash drive.

QuinnK
11-10-2005, 10:41 AM
I've been trying to copy the individual files from that folder. So you have to do the entire folder, huh. In safe mode that is a challenge, since the floppy is the only means in win98se... I guess it is a string of floppy copies. It is letting be continue the copy disk to disk.

I have gone to the Microsoft support site to see what they had to say. They actually copy/paste the contents of the store folder to a backup folder. The help menu in OE6 says to compact all and copy the store folder.

Nothing talks very much about restoring the backup, except the site which says to import. And they didn't mention a PC to PC transfer either. I'll probably try your way.

Thanks for the help Quinn!

You're welcome...

If you're very careful, it's possible to move a store folder bit by bit with a floppy, and reconstruct it. You just have to make sure what you end up with is an exact copy. N5RDC's method can work, it may be a little difficult for anyone not used to working with such things. Might be worth a try.

I've used store folders for backup and restoration many times, it always works when done right. You don't want to place a late version of OE store folder in an old OE version without first updating it, sometimes that won't work.

Good luck... Quinn