PDA

View Full Version : After playing online game Firefox won't open

Ok-Lets-Go
02-06-2006, 01:28 PM
yahoo games (http://www.yahoo.com/)

then click on games then I play hold'em poker after I play awhile and leave I can't get Firefox to open what I have to do is reboot,is there a trick I can do to get Firefox to open...when I to the three finger salute there is nothing to shut down.

IE opens no problem

Oh the path I take to the games is from my messenger buddie list *yahoo messenger*

HARLEY
02-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Try a new profile!

Elwood
02-06-2006, 09:38 PM
What version of Firefox and Windows are you using?

Is it a Java game? What version of the Sun Java Runtime Environment do you have installed (add/remove programs list). It may be that the game is optimized for the MS Virtual Machine (old and unsupported) and not Sun's, if that is the case, there's not much you can do about it except to use IE for that particular purpose. Also if the site is using a lot of IE only code in the way it invokes the java applet it might cause the problem you're seeing.

You could try clearing the Firefox cache (tools > options > privacy etc.) and Java plugin cache (through Windows Control Panel > Java plugin).

Ok-Lets-Go
02-06-2006, 10:02 PM
j2se 5.0 update 4

xp Pro..Firefox 1.0.7

I cleared cache in Firefox

couldn't figure out what to clear in sun jave had place in the Sun control panel to clear temp files..

Elwood
02-06-2006, 10:08 PM
There is a newer version of J2SE available, update 6. You probably already know there is a newer version of Firefox and that 1.0.7 has a serious security hole.

That's the right place, the temporary files are held in Java cache.

Ok-Lets-Go
02-06-2006, 10:24 PM
thanks

Elwood
02-06-2006, 10:25 PM
You're welcome.

Ok-Lets-Go
02-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Ok just played game at Yahoo closed out and tried to open Firefox from quick launch this is what it says.

Elwood
02-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Did you uninstall the old version of J2SE and reboot before installing the new version?

If you wait a few seconds after closing Firefox before trying to reopen it, does the same problem occur?

I think it's probably just bad coding of the game page or java applet that's causing the problem. Not sure what to do about it unless you just use IE for that particular purpose and use Firefox for everything else that you can.

[added]

I just loaded the hold'em game applet (play now), closed the pop up, closed Firefox, restarted Firefox without problems.

Ok-Lets-Go
02-08-2006, 02:37 PM
ok thanks will try IE no Ithink I can live without playing that game..IE make me burrrrrr

Elwood
02-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Did you delete your old profile before installing Firefox 1.5.0.1? If not, create a new profile and see if the problem persists in it.

Create a new Firefox profile with a unique name and see if the problem persists in it. Don't yet delete your current profile.

Close Firefox and end tasks of any Firefox processes still running via Ctrl+Shift+Esc > processes tab or ctrl+alt+del if using Win9X.

Create a new profile (http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new)

Don't choose a profile folder, let the profile manager put the new profile in the default location!

three lions
02-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Larry.A shot in the dark here, but do you use any kind of Ad Blocking extension with Firefox? The reason i ask was that i had a problem using yahoo games and it was only when i removed that particular extension that i found that yahoo games worked fine

Ok-Lets-Go
02-08-2006, 04:04 PM
no I just did a clean install of Firefox and have no extensions.

three lions
02-08-2006, 04:08 PM
no I just did a clean install of Firefox and have no extensions.

Ok. Like i said, it was just a shot in the dark. Will hand back over now to the experts.

Elwood
02-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Hmm, well the only thing I can suggest is to uninstall J2SE, reboot, delete all folders related to Sun Java, maybe run a registry cleaner (be careful to only remove entries having to do with uninstalled software), reboot again, then install J2SE and reboot once more. There is a Sun Java folder in Program Files, one in Application Data and one in Common Files (in Program Files) on my ME system.

I had some trouble with an old release of J2SE, not sure which it was, but everytime I opened the Java applet in the Windows Control Panel, my computer refused to shut down. After I uninstalled it and installed a newer version, the shut down problem no longer occurred.

I worked around my problem by doing a restart instead of a shut down, then I could shut down properly. I'm pretty sure there was a bug in J2SE that caused my problem, I've had several newer versions installed since and the problem has not reappeared.