PDA

View Full Version : Test Firefox 2.0 Alpha 1 Without Installing It

Crockett
03-19-2006, 11:11 PM
All you have to do is download the Portable Firefox 2.0 Alpha 1 file below. Then you unzip the file and browse for the file PortableFirefox.exe. Just execute that file and you will be running Firefox 2.0 Alpha 1! The profile is kept with the PortableFirefox folder so you don’t have to worry about messing up your other profile and the uninstallation process is simple…just delete the folder!

http://www.cybernetnews.com/?p=411

amb141
03-20-2006, 12:22 AM
>>Test Firefox 2.0 Alpha 1 <<

Have you?

The last time I tried an absurdly early version of Firefox was Phoenix 0.1 which I ran in 2002. It was incomplete and pretty much unusable -- but it was also obvious that Phoenix was going to be the winner that it has turned out to be.

So, given the unobtrusive nature of this version I think I will try it out.

alan

amb141
03-20-2006, 02:02 AM
Hmmm.

Firefox 2 itself seemed to work fine. Now, as I expected it would, it disabled all my themes and extensions. But, unexpectedly, it also disabled the themes and extensions in Firefox 1.5! A quick System Resore seems to have taken care of that issue -- but, I have uninstalled (deleted) the Portable Firefox 2 alpha for the moment at least, until I have time to play with it some more.

Hmmm, hmmm. Or not. The extensions STILL seem to be disabled even after restoring to well before I installed Portable Firefox 2.0 alpha. I cannot change the options in the extension manager, although the extensions' functionality seems to be working. Don't know what to do about it yet.

OK. Bottom line is that all my extensions work -- I just can't access the options for the extensions via the extension manager.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Well, grrrr..... It looks like I will have to reinstall my extensions and themes one by one after updating the few that have updates available in order to regain their full functionality.

This might be a reason to lay off the Portable Firefox 2.0 alpha for now.

alan

Crockett
03-20-2006, 08:09 AM
Sorry, Alan. I only reported what I read. I haven't tried it yet. :(
This is using XP?

amb141
03-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Crockett

>>Sorry, Alan. I only reported what I read. I haven't tried it yet.<<

Gee whiz no -- it didn't even occur to me that you would think that I somehow thought you were responsible.

Yeah, on XP. What surprises me is that, since the 2.0 alpha puts a profile in its own directory, completely separate from the 1.5 profile directory, the 2.0 alpha looked at the 1.5 extensions and themes in the first place.

Right now, though, I have bigger problems than that. I put my XP machine in Standby mode last night and this morning opened the lid (which is set to bring the computer out of Standby) and -- nothing. So I pushed the power button -- nothing. Removed the AC cord -- nothing. Plugged in the AC cord and removed the battery -- nothing. Time for a trip to the shop.

alan

Crockett
03-20-2006, 08:42 AM
...and that's all because of this download? ....or System Restore?
Should I pull this thread? Someone else must have had better results than you to release this. :eek:

amb141
03-20-2006, 08:55 AM
NO! The hardware issue (I am assuming it is a hardware issue) has nothing AT ALL to do with the install of Firefox 2.0 alpha or System Restore!

I just needed to vent -- and it isn't the kind of thing I can post in Q and A since there is no solution except to take the machine to the shop.

< edit > In fact, you probably should leave the thread be. Firefox 2.0 alpha itself works just fine. The extensions issue is easy to repair. But people should be aware that it DID cause the issue for me.

alan

amb141
03-20-2006, 10:25 AM
HA!

This is weird. When the issue of no response to the power button/refusal to come out of standby first came up, and after I tried all the different power combinations, I did what you do when that happens -- I cycled the power by removing the AC and the battery for a moment to clear the memory. I did that several times and nothing. Just now, as I was about to get on the subway and take the thing into the city for repairs I tried once again -- and, dayam, but it booted nice as you please.

Computers is funny sometimes.

alan