PDA

View Full Version : Program that alphabetizes?

Fuchsia
04-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Does anybody know of a program that will take a list of names or e-mail addies and automatically alphabetize them?~Bountifully,

BigBarney
04-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Type or import your list into Excel and sort the column by name.

Fuchsia
04-02-2006, 02:45 PM
sort the column by name.Excel and I don't get along very well. If I type them into Excel, will I be able to then automatically alphabetize them?

Balo
04-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Yes

doldgeek
04-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Or you can use MS word

Fuchsia
04-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Or you can use MS wordI use Word all the time, but was unaware that it can do this. What should I look for in the program to accomplish that? I just want to type the e-mail addresses as I get them, then have the program alphabetize them for me.

BigBarney
04-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Excel and I don't get along very well. If I type them into Excel, will I be able to then automatically alphabetize them?

If you type or import your data into Excel, then highlight the column by clicking on the top of the column then click on 'Data' in the toolbar then 'Sort' and follow the prompts.
I have attached a couple of screenshots which may help you.

I have put the same names into 2 columns only so you can see the difference, you would normally only have your names etc in 1 column.

Fuchsia
04-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Thank you, Barney! Now, not to sound too stoopit here (remember, I'm not too Excel savvy), but when it does the alphabetizing, will it also move all the data from each row with it? In other words, if I put more info in the other columns, when it alphabetizes the highlighted names and moves them around into alphabetical order, will the rest of what's in each row be moved along with them?

Oh, wait a minute, after I posted this, I realized that those screen caps showed that the rest of the row would not change with it. What if I want everything in that row moved? Is there a way to do that automatically when I alphabetize it? If not, then the data that matches the names will be in the wrong rows.

I'd still like to know if this can be done in Word, as I spend a lot of time in there. Thanks, everybody!

Fuchsia
04-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Okay, I just did a search and found my answer to alphabetizing in Word here: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=31

Just scroll down, and you'll see the answer. This article also answers some questions I had about auto formatting in Words, so it's a bonus! ;)

Oh, and I just found this (http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/2066) in WS Tips, which is probably where I should have started this quest. :p

Crockett
04-03-2006, 09:29 AM
It's soooo easy in Excel to just highlight them then click on the "Sort Ascending" button on the toolbar.

Fuchsia
04-03-2006, 10:31 AM
It's soooo easy in Excel to just highlight them then click on the "Sort Ascending" button on the toolbar.Thank you, Crocky!

Since I wrote my last post on this subject, I was wondering how I'd be able to alphabetize by last name as well as e-mail addy, then realized I can create this reverse alphabetizing by using Excel. I'm still not sure whether my need to move the entire row, not just the column, when it's alphabetized, is covered, but I'll check my options on Excel, now that you've all given me so much info. Thank you!