PDA

View Full Version : Temporary directory on HDD

teensy
04-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Windows XP

Bearing in mind that I am not computer friendly, help! I just bought a brother MFC3240C FAX/Printer/Scanner/Copier. I'm having the worst trouble downloading and installing the software. I've visited brother who told me to uninstall the drivers, then download and install more drivers. OK. After 8 hours of downloading, I'm presented with a ZIP file. brother tells me to "make a temporary directory on your HDD to save the downloaded self-extracting file". How the hoopty-doo do I do that? Sigh. Thanks for your help. (Anybody else had problems with brother printers?) :(

doldgeek
04-26-2006, 06:32 PM
You can download to desktop - right click on open space select new select folder name it and download to it
After your hardware is up and running just delete it

Joel333
04-26-2006, 07:30 PM
They just want you to create a folder to put it in. You probably have folders already and you can put it in one of them. That's not the optimal way, but it will work. Remember where you put it so you can find it to click on and install.

Best way: Go to your C drive and create a new folder. Call it Installation Files. Every time you d/l something create a new folder in Installation Files with the name of what you are d/l ing. Then you'll have an organized method of installing and locating what you d/l and installed. Hope this is clear.

MMFELL
04-26-2006, 07:57 PM
how to create a new folder (http://www.theeldergeek.com/HT1_002.htm)

teensy
04-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

teensy
04-27-2006, 05:03 PM
OK, now I'm trying to decompress the destination folder. I get the error message "Self Decompression error. Failed to decompress archive". Any ideas, please?

MrBill
04-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Do you have a unzip program on your PC? What version of Windows are you running. XP has one built in so with what you are saying, I am assuming that you don't have XP. If you need one, here is a FREE one. CLICK (http://www.pkware.com/home_and_small_office/downloads/windows/reader/) You can download it to the same folder then click on it and it will unzip itself. Then unzip your Drivers and leave them in the same folder that you downloaded them in then install them.

sharber60
04-27-2006, 05:18 PM
OK, now I'm trying to decompress the destination folder. I get the error message "Self Decompression error. Failed to decompress archive". Any ideas, please?

Do you have an Unzip program such as WinZip or another decompressing program?

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/webutil/help/downloading.htm#compressed

Compressed and self-extracting files

Compressed file types (.zip, .sit, .tar)
Some files that you download are extremely large and are available only in a "compressed" format. A compressed file is made up of a large file or group of files that have been compacted into a single smaller file. Files are compressed by removing filler code. The reduced size of compressed files saves download time and disk space.

The most common compressed files are those with extensions like .zip (PC), .sit (Macintosh), and .tar (UNIX). Files with these extensions are commonly referred to as “zipped” files. You need special decompression software to decompress or extract these files, and each compressed file type has its own decompression software or utility. Decompression software packages such as WinZip (www.winzip.com) or Stuffit Expander (www.stuffit.com/expander/) are available on the Internet. On this page, see Expanding compressed files for details on extracting files.

ZIP files are very common on the Internet, so we suggest you get a ZIP utility if you do not have one. How do you know if you have one? Simply download a zipped file and try to open it after the download process is complete. If the file opens, you have a decompression utility. If you see an error message, you need decompression software. If you don't have decompression software installed, or if you aren't sure that you do, download and install one of the decompression programs mentioned here or a similar program