PDA

View Full Version : Knocking Noise Through Speakers

blu
05-21-2006, 04:18 PM
I was playing some mp3's on my computer and I kept hearing a knocking noise. At first I thought it was the song but it was happening with every song I played that have all played fine before. This also happens with cd's in the cd drive. I thought maybe the speakers had a short or something was wrong with them, so I bought new speakers. The same thing is happening, there is a knocking noise that goes with the beat. Could there be something wrong with my sound card? Or what else could it be?

Phil
05-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Be sure your cable connections to your speakers and from your pc are snug.

You could also take out and then re-seat your sound card.

blu
05-21-2006, 04:39 PM
All cables connections are snug. Re-seat, meaning take out and put right back in?

Bruce
05-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Yes, also use an Ink Eraser to Polish the Card Contacts.

blu
05-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Ok, will try both, thank you.

sharber60
05-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Do you have Yahoo Messenger? When someone is trying to contact you there is a knocking sound as I see you have quite afew Yahoo applications..

sirfredrico
05-21-2006, 06:44 PM
I was playing some mp3's on my computer and I kept hearing a knocking noise. . This also happens with cd's in the cd drive.

maybe its the cd drive? do you have traypal or a program that opens the tray with a clik? i had traypal and it did that whether or not i had a disc in the tray..
you can disconnect the power cable from your cd drive to see if thats where its coming from.

blu
05-21-2006, 06:53 PM
No, I don't use yahoo messenger. It's like a knocking clicking type of noise (hard to describe) in the background of any music I play. Even when it's mp3's already on the computer, so it's not the cd drive I don't think. It kind of sounds like a noise as though the song had been recorded from a radio/tape or something and somebody was holding a microphone connected to the computer up to the radio/tape player; and it sounds like the noise that it would make if your arm got tired of holding the microphone still and rubbed against the speaker. Haven't had a chance to try taking out sound card and re-set it, will do that now.

added: I know it's not that somebody actually did record it that way, because the same songs used to play fine.. I was just trying to describe the noise.

sirfredrico
05-21-2006, 06:57 PM
No, I. It's like a knocking clicking type of noise (hard to describe) in the background of any music I play. Even when it's mp3's already on the c.

ok.... what kind of player do you use to listen to these? did you recently download it? or have you had this same player and used it before?
could be a bad codec or something thats part of the player... might could try uninstalling and reinstalling....

EDIT>>>> I Mean the player, not your OS... :eek:

blu
05-21-2006, 09:27 PM
I use MP3Folders. Have used it for a long time without any problems. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling though. I wasn't sure how to take out the sound card to re-seat it, it feels like it's in there snug though. I went ahead and did my routine vaccuuming (being careful with all inside parts of course). I also tried plugging the speakers into the headphone jack that is in the front of the computer. I'm getting the same problem there too. It was plugged in the back before.

blu
05-21-2006, 09:40 PM
I went ahead and decided to try a different player real quick; I tried Musicmatch Jukebox and the music played perfectly. I guess the problem was just the MP3Folders. Strange because I haven't made any changes or installed/uninstalled any programs lately and it was working fine. Oh well. I know what the problem is now thank you so much everybody for your help.

Bruce
05-21-2006, 09:58 PM
You are Welcome.