PDA

View Full Version : new motherboard,recovery disk won't work

spotscrazy
10-12-2006, 12:33 AM
We recently had our Compaq computer under warranty repaired at Best Buy. They sent it to the manufacturer since it was under warranty and they had to replace the motherboard. The Geek squad guy at Best Buy said we just had to put in our recovery disks and it would be good to go. Well to make a long story short we got it home and after inserting the first disk it said they weren't compatible with this computer. The Geek squad guys told me that every computer has its own "tattoo" of numbers and that our disks would no longer work with the new motherboard. Wouldn't you think that the manufacturer repair service would know this and include disks that work? No we have to take it back out to Best buy where they are going to attempt to change the numbers so the original disks will work! Has anyone had this happen to them? This computer is becoming an expensive paperweight. It took them six weeks to get this far. First motherboard they attempted to put in was defective!

Bear
10-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Please edit your post to remove your email address. Posting your email address on a public forum is a very bad idea.

sharber60
10-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Hp/Compaq should have done the tattoo before sending back for sure.
That is the trouble with having to send a PC away for service..
Being without it for weeks at a time is crazy.
Years ago before HP took over Compaq, they had onsite service, where a
Tech would come to your home & do the repairs..
One lemon Compaq I had, the motherboard was replaced 3 times but the
Tech came to my home for the replacements..
Could not keep this PC running, so ended up getting a newer model Compaq
in place of the bad one..That was in 2000, the replacement was really a step
up from the original one & had such great support from the Head Customer
Support.
Then 2 weeks after the warranty was up on the monitor, it went all wonky.
Emailed the fellow from Compaq to see what I could do & he said they would
ship out a replacement monitor, no charge & do what I wanted with the faulty one..
That was service back then., but not now.

Did Tech Support for HP & Compaq for 3 years, that is why I always buy Dell
great onsite service & fast getting here. Only had to call once about a year
ago. Called at night & the next morning the Tech called & said he was on his
way...

Bear
10-12-2006, 01:06 AM
From PM

spotscrazy
Junior Member Join Date: Jan 2003

edit post?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do I edit my post to remove my email address?

Please see screen shot

MrBill
10-12-2006, 01:59 AM
I don't blame you for being upset. If they tell you that they have to send it back again and can't change something for you, I would just ask a manager for a loaner. Be nice but be firm. Sugar and Honey usually get more then Vinegar does. I use the Vinegar approach as a last resort...

spotscrazy
10-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Well my faith has been restored in the Geek Squad at Best Buy, North Store in Spokane, Wa. A clerk named Tony was able to change the numbers on the tattoo to match so the disks and the motherboard could work together. And then since we had been through such a lengthy experience he asked his manager if he could just do the complete disk install to make sure everything worked and we wouldn't have to bring it back for a third time. He was very courteous and I hope Best Buy appreciates him. We were close to never using or buying from them again. :)

Chappy
10-16-2006, 12:49 AM
That was good of them to make sure your install went well and everything worked.
Imagine how upset you'd have been if you got it home again and for some reson could not get your OS installed on it...yikers!!

And this is exactly why you should always DEMAND (not ask...demand) that a Full OS reinstall disk be supplied with any OEM machine you buy! Not just the stupid and frustrating "Recovery" disks they want to give you, but a complete OS disk.
Most OEM's will sell you your own OS back for another $20 or so...what a ripoff as you've actually paid for it already really, with your OS License you bought with the machine.
Never take NO for an answer and they'll usually cave-in and get you your disk.

wesran
10-16-2006, 05:21 AM
I wonder what they can legally do with the original disk after OS has been registered to your machine? Is this where piracy starts?

QuinnK
10-16-2006, 03:05 PM
I wonder what they can legally do with the original disk after OS has been registered to your machine? Is this where piracy starts?

The OS disks from a particular OEM and particular version of OS are all the same, the installation key for each computer is what is unique (the installation on the computers is done from an image rather than a CD). When they don't send the disk, they just save the cost of an installation CD. When they send you a CD later at a charge, they're covering the cost of a CD plus shipping, plus whatever. Just another way to make another dollar on a computer.

Quinn

spotscrazy
10-17-2006, 12:49 AM
I guess I raved too soon about Best Buy. We attempted to put in the wireless card that worked with this computer before and got an error message so the computer is back for a third time to Best Buy where they will attempt to put it in. If not we may have to buy another wireless card. They said the original problem the motherboard could have been destroyed by a power surge so wondered if that messed up the wireless card although they tried it on their computers and it was ok. Will find out tomorrow I guess. They are doing this repair for no charge. :)

MIHM
10-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Hello all,
I have the same experience but with Computer Geek,
( Store to repair Computers).. I have a power outage and the motherboard
has been destoried.
Because I have a little knowledge of what happened so I let someone repair it because if you buy the motherboard and not compatible with the proccessor
so you lost your money.
Anyhow I gave it to the Computer Geek they change the motherboard
and during I'm with them they choose ( Fat32 ) instead of ( NFTS) for windows XP Home Edition. During formating the computer and they copy the data to another hard drive. And I know that it supposed to be NFTS for Windows XP.
They Install another Windows XP Home Edition. I have got the computer
but it's acting weird sometime the mouse, sometime the keyboard, sometime
shutdown every 15 minutes alone.
I said to myseld, you can use the Recovery Disks, When I started to install
it says .. These disk can't support this computer because it is not for
this Computer, The Computer it is HP Pavilian a305 W.. and these disks comes with the computer as a Recovery Disks.
Anyhow I took the computer to them..they put in a test for 4 days and the answer is ( The Computer works perfect ), they charge me for
this crap 165 Dollars.
So you can't win with them, I paid another guy another amount of money to repair it, and finally works fine.
So the computer works weird and the Recovery Disks doesn't work and they charge you 165 Dollars, they can not always saying the truth.
It happend in everywhere, it is not only you, the worste part that the worried about your computer and your data.
MIHM

MrBill
10-17-2006, 11:31 PM
FAT 32 works fine on XP. You can change FAT 32 to NTFS but not the other way around. The recovery disc that you got with the PC when you bought it new, would work if it was the same way it was new. When you start changing things like the HD and MOBO and Processor, is when you run into trouble like you had.

MIHM
10-23-2006, 05:12 AM
Hello MrBill,
So tell me the solution if you would like to change a motherboad or HD, how you use your recovery then, and how you can use your recovery and changing any part on the computer? Do you have to contact the HP to get your motherboard or your HD??!!! and why I have too much trouble with Keyboard, then Mouse, then the computer shutdown by itself, without any control of me??
MIHM

MrBill
10-23-2006, 07:30 AM
You can change the keyboard and the mouse as many times as you want with no problem. It is when you change the MOBO and/or the HD that you are going to run into trouble. The HD has the recovery partition on it and you new one won't have it. Can't read something that is not there.

N5RDC
10-23-2006, 09:31 AM
You can change the keyboard and the mouse as many times as you want with no problem. It is when you change the MOBO and/or the HD that you are going to run into trouble. The HD has the recovery partition on it and you new one won't have it. Can't read something that is not there.

I have heard of folks having trouble with recovery disks, Microsoft verification, etc, when changing hardware, but I've changed everything in my computer except the MOBO (some hardware several times over), & no problems at all.
My computer (Compaq S4199NX) came with 6 recovery disks & no recovery partition on the computer, although the first time I had to run the disks, they gave me the option to create a recovery partition on the HD, which I did. Now I can restore from either the partition or the disks.
I have also run the recovery disks on a spare drive which I can slip in & use if the original drive fails (both work).
The above is just my own personal experience & I'm quite sure it would not apply in all situations with other computers & software.

MrBill
10-23-2006, 09:50 AM
When you run the recovery disk's, have you noticed that it doesn't ask for a Key Code? I believe it gets it from the partition on your HD and it is just verifying that it is OK to do this.

N5RDC
10-23-2006, 10:14 AM
When you run the recovery disk's, have you noticed that it doesn't ask for a Key Code? I believe it gets it from the partition on your HD and it is just verifying that it is OK to do this.

No, it doesn't ask for a key, but I also ran the disks on a newly formatted spare drive with nothing at all on it & it boots & works fine (this without the original drive in the computer) - Also passed Microsoft Genuine Advantage.
One thing that I did have backwards is that there was a recovery partition on the original OEM drive, & when I ran it, it gave me the option to make the disks - not the other way around (as in my original post).

sharber60
10-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Hp & Compaq Motherboards are tattooed and if the motherboard is changed &
not an HP or Compaq board the recovery disks will not work.

The businesses that change a motherboard on a PC under warranty, should have
access to the tattoo used on the motherboard.

Restore disks must always first check the "tattoo" on the motherboard. If they do not find the motherboard has the right code imbedded for hardware and software, they will not install. This is a conditiion imposed by Microsoft and by the computer manufacturer.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-US&q=HP+Compaq+motherboard+tattoos&btnG=Search

N5RDC
10-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Hp & Compaq Motherboards are tattooed and if the motherboard is changed &
not an HP or Compaq board the recovery disks will not work.

The businesses that change a motherboard on a PC under warranty, should have
access to the tattoo used on the motherboard.

Restore disks must always first check the "tattoo" on the motherboard. If they do not find the motherboard has the right code imbedded for hardware and software, they will not install. This is a conditiion imposed by Microsoft and by the computer manufacturer.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-US&q=HP+Compaq+motherboard+tattoos&btnG=Search

Thanks, Sharon. That explains my experience.

sharber60
10-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks, Sharon. That explains my experience.

You are very welcome & it does make it harder for others who think they can
change the motherboard, then find the recovery CDs do not work any more.
Then they need to go out and buy a retail copy of XP.

spotscrazy
10-25-2006, 12:47 AM
We were successful with Best Buy in having them change the tattoo numbers so they now will work with the recovery disks. It was the manufacturer that worked on the motherboard change since it was still under warranty and since they had had our computer for so long they such stuck it in and shipped it back to Best buy who thought it was completely fixed. They stayed with us with no charge until it was completely fixed and up and running again. Tony at the Best buy store in Spokane, Washington is tops in the Geek Squad and have restored our faith in customer service way above and beyond! He was very good at explaining to novices with out trying to act superior to us like some computer people . We already knew we weren't computer repair people!LOL :)

sharber60
10-25-2006, 01:54 AM
Great to hear as that tattoo on the motherboard is so important, looks like you
are well cared for there..
Thanks so much for posting back as your post can help someone else who may
have the same problem..