Old 09-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Major Member

MySql.com

A security firm revealed today that mysql.com, the central repository for widely-used Web database software, was hacked and booby-trapped to serve visitors with malicious software. This disclosure caught my eye because just a few days ago I saw evidence that administrative access to mysql.com was being sold on the hacker underground for just $3,000.

Late last week, I was lurking on a fairly exclusive Russian hacker forum and stumbled upon a member selling root access to mysql.com. As part of his pitch, which was published on the criminal forum Sept. 21, the seller called attention to the site’s daily and monthly stats, and posted screen shots of a root login prompt in a bid to prove his wares.

The seller, ominously using the nickname “sourcec0de,” points out that mysql.com is a prime piece of real estate for anyone looking to plant an exploit kit: It boasts nearly 12 million visitors per month — almost 400,000 per day — and is ranked the 649th most-visited site by Alexa (Alexa currently rates it at 637).He offered to sell remote access to the first person who paid him at least USD $3,000, via the site’s escrow service, which guarantees that both parties are satisfied with the transaction before releasing the funds.

The ultimate irony of this attack is that the owner of mysql.com is Oracle Corp., which also owns Java, a software suite that I have often advised readers to avoid due to its numerous security and update problems. As I’ve noted in several blog posts, Java exploits are the single most effective attacks used by exploit kits like BlackHole: Currently, four out of nine of the exploits built into BlackHole attack Java vulnerabilities
Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Linux Operative

13 April 2011 - Individuals recently claimed to have hacked portions of the MySQL.com and Sun.com web sites. The results of Oracle's preliminary investigation do not indicate a wide compromise; however the attackers published a small number of user IDs, e-mails, and passwords. In an abundance of caution, Oracle recommends that users who had accounts on these systems change their passwords as soon as possible. From the Website itself
http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events...le.php?id=1691
320 gig Hard Drive
Firefox 21.0
Tor 0.2.3.25