Old 04-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Uber Member

Safe Software?

Watch what you download from any site.....I have used Sourceforge thinking they were safe, but I found out they were just another bundle-ware company...
I did check out MajorGeeks and they were found SAFE as a D/L site. http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story...oad_sites.html

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/safe-s...download-sites

Partial
Quote:
Why have things come to this stage?

Over a period of time, something somewhere changed. Reputed download sites started getting a lot of traffic. Search Engines rank these sites well, so many visit them to download software. People trusted them. Then came a day when such sites decided to encash that trust – and betrayed their users! It was all about money!

They started offering Installers!

CNET is one such site. So are BrotherSoft, Softonic, FreewareFiles and Tucows. The open-source download site Sourceforge is yet another example! I am sure there are many more. So what are these Installers or Downloaders? They are nothing but setup files that try and first push third-party offers, bundleware and potentially unwanted programs on to your computer before giving you access to the file you want. This is how the downloaders or installers look like.
8GB RAm
1 TB HD

There MUST be TERM LIMITS on ALL politicians.

Last edited by billm65; 04-06-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:37 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm65 View Post
Watch what you download from any site.....I have used Sourceforge thinking they were safe, but I found out they were just another bundle-ware company...
I did check out MajorGeeks and they were found SAFE as a D/L site. http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story...oad_sites.html

Partial
Hate to break it to you Bill but SourceForge was on the original list of sites known to bundle unwanteds with their downloads when I first created Please Stop Using These Websites for Downloads exactly 3 years ago.
I added FileHippo to sites to avoid in the last post in that same thread.

Always good to be reminded however BUT the BEST place to get your downloads is ALWAYS directly from the developer of the program that you want, not a 3rd party download site.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-06-2017, 04:46 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
Hate to break it to you Bill but SourceForge was on the original list of sites known to bundle unwanteds with their downloads when I first created Please Stop Using These Websites for Downloads exactly 3 years ago.

Always good to be reminded however.
Thanks, but I haven't used any download sites for years, just ran across this because of some of the posts made on WS. The only things I D/L now is updates for my programs.
8GB RAm
1 TB HD

Old 04-07-2017, 05:21 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm65 View Post

Partial
great reminder

Old 04-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Junior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post

Always good to be reminded however BUT the BEST place to get your downloads is ALWAYS directly from the developer of the program that you want, not a 3rd party download site.
Except where the developers site directs you to a 3rd party download site.

Paradoxically it seems that in recent times Download.com has at least partially acknowledged the error of their ways and are considerably better than they used to be. Not great yet, but better.

Paul D

Intel i5 @ 3.5GHz, 120gb SSD, 2xHDs (3GB total), 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, 2x24" Samsung monitors
Old 04-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
Except where the developers site directs you to a 3rd party download site.

Paradoxically it seems that in recent times Download.com has at least partially acknowledged the error of their ways and are considerably better than they used to be. Not great yet, but better.
True. I haven't had any do that lately. When that happens then I go to Majorgeeks for the download, not to one of those "don't download from here" sites.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-13-2017, 12:13 PM
Uber Member

[b]I used "FileHippo" before, thinking it was a safe site, but I found it not to be as safe as I thought. Here's a safe sites list, but we must realize that any download site may end up being NOT so safe....

Quote:
Safe software download sites

So we then come to the question – which are the safe software download sites. Well today, if I have to download freeware, I usually prefer to download it from the developers website. This ensures that I get the latest version too. But if I have to visit a download sites, I prefer and trust the following:

Majorgeeks.com
Softpedia.com
TechSpot.com
X Filehippo.com See this.
SnapFiles.com
fileforum.betanews.com
downloadcrew.com

Where freeware contains bundled software, some of them mark it as Bundleware or Ad supported or something to this effect. At least they do not add anything to the freeware.

I am sure that there maybe a few more clean download sites. If you know of any other safe software download sites, please do share them with us in the comments, for the benefit of others. I am open to updating this list of safe software download sites.
8GB RAm
1 TB HD