Old 03-22-2017, 04:17 PM
STEELER FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
How many hours did it take to get the updates? It truly should have taken hours. It will download and install some of them and stop. Do the machines have Windows 7 SP 1? and then the additional what has been called a "convenience rollup" for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (and Windows Server 2008 R2), which in a single package contains all the updates, both security and non-security, released since the Service Pack 1, up through April 2016. Installing the rollup will perform five years of patching in one shot.
Do both machines have those? Then there would be 11 more months of updates since then.
It only took about an hour to get the updates. I thought it should have taken a lot more time. How do I find out if they have SP1 ?
I just went to all programs to get to windows Update. Is there a different way. Maybe I'm missing something as I have done what I have been told to do.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Intel Core i5-3337U processor
6GB memory 500GB harddrive Windows 8
Old 03-22-2017, 04:21 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
It only took about an hour to get the updates. I thought it should have taken a lot more time. How do I find out if they have SP1 ?
I just went to all programs to get to windows Update. Is there a different way. Maybe I'm missing something as I have done what I have been told to do.
To see the version of Windows, right click My Computer and choose properties. It will say right there is the computer has Windows 7 SP 1.

You are looking for updates the correct way, but you must continue to do this until you get the message, there are no more updates available.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-22-2017, 04:27 PM
STEELER FAN

Quote:
To see the version of Windows, right click My Computer and choose properties. It will say right there is the computer has Windows 7 SP 1.

You are looking for updates the correct way, but you must continue to do this until you get the message, there are no more updates available.
Yes, I found it. They both have SP1 installed. I will check again for updates to make sure that there are no more to be installed. After that, I will install an antivirus program( one of the free ones that were suggested). Then, If I'm correct after I scan for viruses the laptops will be ready for use. They really start up fast. Thank you sincerely for all of your assistance.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Old 03-22-2017, 04:33 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Yes, I found it. They both have SP1 installed. I will check again for updates to make sure that there are no more to be installed. After that, I will install an antivirus program( one of the free ones that were suggested). Then, If I'm correct after I scan for viruses the laptops will be ready for use. They really start up fast. Thank you sincerely for all of your assistance.
NO. you do not have all the updates if both computers still have only Internet Explorer 8. Internet Explorer is part of the operating system and because you only have IE 8 that says you do NOT have all the updates released since these computers were manufactured
You may have to do this many, many times to be certain that you do have all the updates and until Internet Explorer version 11.953.14393.0; Update version 11.0.40 is installed then you are behind.
They start up fast because the only thing installed are the operating systems and the hardware drivers.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
STEELER FAN

Quote:
NO. you do not have all the updates if both computers still have only Internet Explorer 8. Internet Explorer is part of the operating system and because you only have IE 8 that says you do NOT have all the updates released since these computers were manufactured
You may have to do this many, many times to be certain that you do have all the updates and until Internet Explorer version 11.953.14393.0; Update version 11.0.40 is installed then you are behind.
They start up fast because the only thing installed are the operating systems and the hardware drivers.
Well, all the windows updates are installed. Now running IE11. Avira free is installed. These 2 laptops are all set to be given to my younger grandkids. I really want to thank jholland1964 for all his assistance and sticking with me thru all of this. Because of his help I was able to wipe these laptops out and get them all set up for reuse.
Thank you again jholland1964 for all your assistance, it was much appreciated.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Well, all the windows updates are installed. Now running IE11. Avira free is installed. These 2 laptops are all set to be given to my younger grandkids. I really want to thank jholland1964 for all his assistance and sticking with me thru all of this. Because of his help I was able to wipe these laptops out and get them all set up for reuse.
Thank you again jholland1964 for all your assistance, it was much appreciated.
You're welcome Gary...F.Y.I. my name is Judy.
You should do a bit more to make these laptops safer for your grandkids.

You have a great anti-virus progam. Now you need to go through the Essential Tools and Tips sticky

http://forum.worldstart.com/showpost...64&postcount=1

and add SpywareBlaster. A MUST HAVE tool, I would never run a computer without it.

Malwarebytes' and SUPERAntispyware. Show the kids how to use these tools and make sure they do. You will be teaching them very valuable lessons from day one of owning their own computers.

You also should install Firefox for them, much safer than IE. Configure both IE and Firefox so that 3rd party tracking cookies are blocked. Add AdBlockPlus to both browsers so that ads are blocked.
I am not sure of their ages but enabling the Parental Controls might be a good idea so they cannot do things they shouldn't do. Even if they don't live in your home, they will be stopped from stumbling into things they shouldn't be doing.

Happy to help. Any questions I will be happy to offer help.
Judy

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
STEELER FAN

Trust me Judy. If I have anymore problems I will definitely get back on Worldstart. You guys are terrific. I am truly helpful for your help. These laptops are running as good as new. The school requires 10 year olds to do their homework on computers. I won't let anyone on my desktop, so I am glad that I still had these laptops. Bought them for 1 set of grandkids and now they will be going to another set of grandkids. That I guess is what you call recycling plus it save my kids money from buying new one for their kids.
Thanks again to all who helped. And, a special thanks to you, Judy.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Trust me Judy. If I have anymore problems I will definitely get back on Worldstart. You guys are terrific. I am truly helpful for your help. These laptops are running as good as new. The school requires 10 year olds to do their homework on computers. I won't let anyone on my desktop, so I am glad that I still had these laptops. Bought them for 1 set of grandkids and now they will be going to another set of grandkids. That I guess is what you call recycling plus it save my kids money from buying new one for their kids.
Thanks again to all who helped. And, a special thanks to you, Judy.
You are so welcome Gary. You are right, the recycling of these computers are the best way to go. We've done the same in our family also. Good going Gary!

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up