Old 05-16-2017, 04:56 PM

MSI laptop won't boot past MSI logo

A friend's laptop won't boot past the splash screen MSI logo. Took out the drive to view externally, snd it's just a bunch of backup zipped files. No buttons I press during startup get me into anything. Any ideas what to try next?
Old 05-16-2017, 05:58 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbekroenick View Post
A friend's laptop won't boot past the splash screen MSI logo. Took out the drive to view externally, snd it's just a bunch of backup zipped files. No buttons I press during startup get me into anything. Any ideas what to try next?
Do you mean you took out the hard drive, attached it to another computer and then viewed the contents?
If, as you said, the only thing on that drive were zip files then that would say, to me at least, that drive is not the operating system drive, normally "c" drive, but a storage drive. The operating system would not be contained in zip files.
So either there is another hard drive in the computer or if there is only one drive then that would mean it is partitioned and you have only looked at the storage partition not the partition containing the operating system and apparently the computer is not booting to that partition either.

Have you tried booting to BIOS or Safe Mode?

What operating system? How old is the computer? Is it under warranty?
If it is still under warranty then stop messing with it because you could invalidate the warranty and call the mfgr.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 05-17-2017, 08:46 PM

Windows 7. Not sure if there is a different hard drive, didn't see one but I will look again. The zipped files appesr to be from some backup software (periodic saves) Tried hitting any button I could at startup. Nothing seems to bring me to BIOS or anything else.

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 PM

Not under warranty any more, but my friend got it from Costco.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:12 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Windows 7. Not sure if there is a different hard drive, didn't see one but I will look again. The zipped files appesr to be from some backup software (periodic saves) Tried hitting any button I could at startup. Nothing seems to bring me to BIOS or anything else.

Thanks for the info!
There has to be another drive or partition because there is no operating system on what you have viewed and without an operating system you have nothing.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 05-18-2017, 03:23 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Try this. Turn the laptop off, unplug the power adapter and remove the battery. Press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Release the power button and try booting again.
Have you tried booting into recovery?