Firefox
Chromium
Old 05-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOSTERHACKETT View Post
Cliqz, a German company owned by Mozilla and Hubert Burda Media
https://cliqz.com/en/desktop
Have you used it? Are you going to use it? are you happy with it? Are you going to keep it?
You simply gave the link with no personal response to the browser. Can't really D/L it without some kind of personal information about this browser.
8GB RAm
1 TB HD

There MUST be TERM LIMITS on ALL politicians.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:55 AM
Linux Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm65 View Post
Have you used it? Are you going to use it? are you happy with it? Are you going to keep it?
You simply gave the link with no personal response to the browser. Can't really D/L it without some kind of personal information about this browser.
I do not have any personal info to share other than it was a recommended from a reliable source. I know nothing, I see nothing ,I hear nothing.

Of course its good wouldn't post it if wasn't
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 05-26-2017, 06:35 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOSTERHACKETT View Post
I do not have any personal info to share other than it was a recommended from a reliable source. I know nothing, I see nothing ,I hear nothing.

Of course its good wouldn't post it if wasn't
Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit free

Why is it that all instruments created to find "intelligent life" are pointed "AWAY" from Earth?
Old 05-27-2017, 08:11 AM
Epic Member

For what it is worth I have been testing this browser as a replacement for my used for a long time Maxthon.
Cliqz has been around for about 2 years (longer than Vivaldi) but there does not seem to have been much publicity about it.

I think it's worth looking at. I am not sure if I will stick with it or change completely to Edge. Or stay with Maxthon.
The Cliqz search engine is no use to me as every time I use it I receive a message telling me their search results are not so 'gut' for my country yet but they are working hard to to become better for my country. My searches default to Google (my choice, but there are plenty of others including DDG) I can disable the Cliqz search and probably will do so if only to avoid the annoying large message box telling me about the results not being so 'gut'

Last Pass (not something I would ever use) and Ghostery are integrated in the browser.
As Cliqz professes to be very big on privacy issues it is disappointing that the link provided within the browser settings to view their privacy policy results in a 404 page saying "Opps, something went wrong here" and a redirection to their home page.
I eventually found "Data Privacy Statement for this website" labeled "Legal' on that home page and from there was able to click once more to reach https://cliqz.com/en/privacy-browser

I am not sure about the 'Wisdom of the Crowd' (Human Web) being used to determine the reliability and safety of sites. They say 'Users contribute anonymously to the statistical data" - isn't that what Web of Trust said they did as well ?

Give it a try - see what you think. Don't rely on the recommendations others

Edit: I forgot to say - it is a speedy browser

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-F203A All In One, 8GB RAM,1TB HD
Acer Aspire 5750G,4GB RAM, 698GB HD
Windows 10 Home

MAXTHON, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 05-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Uber Member

Think I'll just stick to my favorite browser, FireFox.
8GB RAm
1 TB HD

There MUST be TERM LIMITS on ALL politicians.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm65 View Post
Think I'll just stick to my favorite browser, FireFox.
There is also a Cliqz browser add on for Firefox which integrates the quick search feature. I have not used it as I don't use Firefox as a regular browser so can not comment on it

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 05-28-2017, 08:22 AM
Linux Operative

CLIQZ is the first browser with built-in quick search and integrated privacy protection: anti-tracking, anti-phising and ad blocker.

Mozilla has invested in Cliqz which is also available as an extension for Mozilla’s Firefox browser.

It's Anti-Tracking technology is for better privacy protection.
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 06-02-2017, 12:30 AM
Epic Member

After a decent trial period I decided not to keep this browser. Privacy is important to me but not to this extent and have to say I was quite amazed at the number of 'left over' items Revo pro found after the cliqz own uninstaller ran. Not to say there is anything wrong with this browser it just is not for me. I will stay with Maxthon. I have no qualms about it being Chinese. For my own purposes it is still my favourite browser.
Ps I am not Chinese .. I am a British born person who has lived in NZ for most of my life.

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 06-14-2017, 08:18 AM
Linux Operative

I for one do not recommend Maxthon because of there data privacy issues

In 2016, computer security researchers from Fidelis Cybersecurity and Exatel discovered the browser surreptitiously sending sensitive browsing and system data, such as ad blocker status, websites visited, searches conducted, and applications installed with their version numbers, to remote servers located in Beijing, China. According to Maxthon, the data is sent as part of the firm's 'User Experience Improvement Program' and it is "voluntary and totally anonymous." However, researchers found the data still being collected and sent to remote servers even after users explicitly opt-out of the program. The researchers further found the data being sent over an unencrypted connection (HTTP), leaving users vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks. Fidelis' Chief Security Officer, Justin Harvey, noted the data "...contains almost everything you would want in conducting a reconnaissance operation to know exactly where to attack. Knowing the exact operating system and installed applications, and browsing habits it would be trivial to send a perfectly crafted spear phish to the victim or perhaps set up a watering hole attack on one of their most frequented websites."[42] Soon after this incident, developers from Maxthon found out that it was just a bug that caused some testing information being sent to the company's server for user experience improvement, and it has been fixed immediately according to Maxthon's CEO Jeff Chen.[43] He also stated that "security and privacy are top priorities at Maxthon".
Could it be anybody just someone to see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxthon
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 06-15-2017, 05:05 AM
Epic Member

And I for another do not recommend Maxthon because it it up to the individual to chose.
I have used it for years. I shall probably continue to use it unless I discover a browser I prefer more. So far I have not.
I was aware of the reported data breaches in 2016. It is everyone's responsibility to keep abreast of such reports.
I also use Google . Does anyone outside of google really know what they do with the data they collect..

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free