#1  
Old 04-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Ahduncu Ahduncu is offline
Major Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 894
New browser - Vivaldi

I read about this new browser, Vivaldi, in "How-to-Geeks" and decided to try it because it sounded interesting. I downloaded it from Google Chrome and Internet Explorer and could not get it to open. I posed the problem on their forum and also to them directly and received several answers but nothing they suggested worked. I have now been waiting 2 days for a reply from their representative but no answers.
One suggestion was to download it using Opera 12 browser, which I do not have, kind of ridiculous to have to install another browser to install still another browser.
Anyone have any suggestions? This is just an intellectual exercise on my part, it's not that important because I have the use of a number of browsers that do anything I want.
__________________
Lenovo E520
Intel Core i3
Windows 10 Professional
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome Preferred Browser
BitDefender Free
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2016, 05:17 PM
jholland1964's Avatar
jholland1964 jholland1964 is offline
Almost Really Old Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Middle
Posts: 35,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahduncu View Post
I read about this new browser, Vivaldi, in "How-to-Geeks" and decided to try it because it sounded interesting. I downloaded it from Google Chrome and Internet Explorer and could not get it to open. I posed the problem on their forum and also to them directly and received several answers but nothing they suggested worked. I have now been waiting 2 days for a reply from their representative but no answers.
One suggestion was to download it using Opera 12 browser, which I do not have, kind of ridiculous to have to install another browser to install still another browser.
Anyone have any suggestions? This is just an intellectual exercise on my part, it's not that important because I have the use of a number of browsers that do anything I want.
Why they would tell you to use a grossly out of date browser, Opera 12, I have no idea. I use Opera but its most current version is v. 36.0. Opera is the developer of Vivaldi browser.

I did NOT use Opera to download it, I downloaded it using Firefox, which is my default browser and had no difficulty whatsoever. It downloaded and installed just fine in less than one minute. It seems to be very fast. I will play around with it and see what I think.

I downloaded it from its home page

https://vivaldi.com/download/
__________________

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*


Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Everton's Avatar
Everton Everton is offline
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
I did NOT use Opera to download it
Ditto I used Maxthon

Download was fast, install was as well.
Comes complete with a large selection of bookmarks, most of which I don't want. Bookmarks imported from Edge very easily.
Dislike the bright red interface but will give it a try.
Initial impression - fast and easy to negotiate.
__________________


HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-F203A All In One, 8GB RAM,1TB HD
Acer Aspire 5750G,4GB RAM, 698GB HD
Windows 10 Home

MAXTHON, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 PM
Ahduncu Ahduncu is offline
Major Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
Why they would tell you to use a grossly out of date browser, Opera 12, I have no idea. I use Opera but its most current version is v. 36.0. Opera is the developer of Vivaldi browser.

I did NOT use Opera to download it, I downloaded it using Firefox, which is my default browser and had no difficulty whatsoever. It downloaded and installed just fine in less than one minute. It seems to be very fast. I will play around with it and see what I think.

I downloaded it from its home page

https://vivaldi.com/download/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton View Post
Ditto I used Maxthon

Download was fast, install was as well.
Comes complete with a large selection of bookmarks, most of which I don't want. Bookmarks imported from Edge very easily.
Dislike the bright red interface but will give it a try.
Initial impression - fast and easy to negotiate.
Well, I hate to tell you this, I just downloaded it using Firefox and it still will not open! I have now tried with 3 browsers and no luck. Something on my computer is apparently blocking it from opening. I don't think it's my anti-virus because it would be blocked from downloading. What else could it be?
By the way, when I try to uninstall it I am always told that it is open and cannot be uninstalled until I close it. The only way to close it is to reboot my computer. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be blocking it from opening?
I have also tried to "run as administrator" and "check compatibility" but that did not help
__________________
Lenovo E520
Intel Core i3
Windows 10 Professional
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome Preferred Browser
BitDefender Free

Last edited by Ahduncu; 04-18-2016 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2016, 10:52 PM
jholland1964's Avatar
jholland1964 jholland1964 is offline
Almost Really Old Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Middle
Posts: 35,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahduncu View Post
Well, I hate to tell you this, I just downloaded it using Firefox and it still will not open! I have now tried with 3 browsers and no luck. Something on my computer is apparently blocking it from opening. I don't think it's my anti-virus because it would be blocked from downloading. What else could it be?
By the way, when I try to uninstall it I am always told that it is open and cannot be uninstalled until I close it. The only way to close it is to reboot my computer. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be blocking it from opening?
Likely your firewall or BitDefender. You might try turning them off to do the download. Hope you can get it to install because I think you'll be pleased.
I have been trying it out all evening & thus far I really like it a lot. I was able to reduce that bright red interface that Everton mentioned by changing the interface color to light and also choosing to use Page Theme colors. So colors change somewhat between pages and only bright red is the "V" Icon in the upper left corner that you click to be able to use the Menu. I also changed the background color from default to blue and that made a difference also.

It is super fast, have been able to install my favorite extensions, AdBlockPlus, WOT and Gmail notifier. Games run super fast on it. Importing of bookmarks from Firefox was accomplished without problems. Also was able to import my preferences from Firefox too which is very nice. All in all, thus far I like it. Of course it's only been a few hours but I do like it.
__________________

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*


Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-18-2016, 11:41 PM
Ahduncu Ahduncu is offline
Major Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
Likely your firewall or BitDefender. You might try turning them off to do the download. Hope you can get it to install because I think you'll be pleased.
I have been trying it out all evening & thus far I really like it a lot. I was able to reduce that bright red interface that Everton mentioned by changing the interface color to light and also choosing to use Page Theme colors. So colors change somewhat between pages and only bright red is the "V" Icon in the upper left corner that you click to be able to use the Menu. I also changed the background color from default to blue and that made a difference also.

It is super fast, have been able to install my favorite extensions, AdBlockPlus, WOT and Gmail notifier. Games run super fast on it. Importing of bookmarks from Firefox was accomplished without problems. Also was able to import my preferences from Firefox too which is very nice. All in all, thus far I like it. Of course it's only been a few hours but I do like it.
I turned off my firewall and BitDefender, downloaded vivaldi with the same result - it will not open!
__________________
Lenovo E520
Intel Core i3
Windows 10 Professional
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome Preferred Browser
BitDefender Free
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-20-2016, 12:10 AM
Ahduncu Ahduncu is offline
Major Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
Likely your firewall or BitDefender. You might try turning them off to do the download. Hope you can get it to install because I think you'll be pleased.
I have been trying it out all evening & thus far I really like it a lot. I was able to reduce that bright red interface that Everton mentioned by changing the interface color to light and also choosing to use Page Theme colors. So colors change somewhat between pages and only bright red is the "V" Icon in the upper left corner that you click to be able to use the Menu. I also changed the background color from default to blue and that made a difference also.

It is super fast, have been able to install my favorite extensions, AdBlockPlus, WOT and Gmail notifier. Games run super fast on it. Importing of bookmarks from Firefox was accomplished without problems. Also was able to import my preferences from Firefox too which is very nice. All in all, thus far I like it. Of course it's only been a few hours but I do like it.
So far it seems very good. However, I am used to having tabs on the bookmark bar and opening a tab gives me access to various web sites. I can't seem to do that with Vivaldi, the tabs appear on the side and opening them gives me the web sites. I don't know what the bookmark bar is for in this browser, if I place my tabs on it there is nothing in them.
__________________
Lenovo E520
Intel Core i3
Windows 10 Professional
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome Preferred Browser
BitDefender Free
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-26-2016, 10:52 PM
JME JME is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 228
I've been able to add WOT to this browser but haven't found how to add AdBlockPlus.
__________________
Windows 8.1, TOSHIBA Satellite L55-A laptop, 64-bit, Intel Core i5-4200U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Avira (Free), Malwarebytes(Premium), Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntiSpyware(free), Windows Firewall, CCleaner
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2016, 12:08 AM
Everton's Avatar
Everton Everton is offline
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,299
This is the page I downloaded from https://vivaldi.com/?lang=en

I don't mean any offence but is it possible you got the Mac version ?
__________________


HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-F203A All In One, 8GB RAM,1TB HD
Acer Aspire 5750G,4GB RAM, 698GB HD
Windows 10 Home

MAXTHON, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-19-2016, 06:01 AM
Everton's Avatar
Everton Everton is offline
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,299
My apologies - I think I have misunderstood. I thought it was the installer you could not open but now believe you have gone through the install process, because you say you have tried to uninstall it and are told it is running.

Have you installed the 32bit version ? I believe that is the one to use,it says on the download page 64bit is 'experimental'
Did you install to the default location? C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\Default

Try Task Manager - end any instances of Vivaldi running, close anything else you have open and try launching it again.

Also when it is supposedly running without you being able to see it do alt+tab and see if it pops up as a running app from there. Or right click taskbar and select 'cascade windows' and see if it appears.
Look in your hidden icons on the taskbar and see if it is there.

The version I have is 1.0.435.42. The Timestamp on it is 8th April. You could check in Properties of your download that you have that one.

Take a look in Event Viewer and see if anything appears there when you try to open Vivaldi.
__________________


HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-F203A All In One, 8GB RAM,1TB HD
Acer Aspire 5750G,4GB RAM, 698GB HD
Windows 10 Home

MAXTHON, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-19-2016, 08:21 AM
Ahduncu Ahduncu is offline
Major Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 894
OK, I deleted the default location of Vivaldi on my computer, (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data\Default) and started over, downloading it and it installed and started up. Apparently, something in the default location was locking it. It is now opening but I have to spend time setting it up to see if I like it.
Thanks everyone for their advice and help.
__________________
Lenovo E520
Intel Core i3
Windows 10 Professional
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome Preferred Browser
BitDefender Free

Last edited by Ahduncu; 04-19-2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Additional Comment
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Everton's Avatar
Everton Everton is offline
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,299
Glad you got Vivaldi working.
So far I have found noting to dislike about it.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention
__________________


HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-F203A All In One, 8GB RAM,1TB HD
Acer Aspire 5750G,4GB RAM, 698GB HD
Windows 10 Home

MAXTHON, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-19-2016, 09:26 PM
sirfredrico sirfredrico is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: guntersville, alabama
Posts: 11,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahduncu View Post
I read about this new browser, Vivaldi, in "How-to-Geeks" and decided to try it because it sounded interesting. I downloaded it from Google Chrome and Internet Explorer and could not get it to open. I posed the problem on their forum and also to them directly and received several answers but nothing they suggested worked. I have now been waiting 2 days for a reply from their representative but no answers.
One suggestion was to download it using Opera 12 browser, which I do not have, kind of ridiculous to have to install another browser to install still another browser.
Anyone have any suggestions? This is just an intellectual exercise on my part, it's not that important because I have the use of a number of browsers that do anything I want.

thanks, i downloaded it yesterday, and so far it works very good.
__________________
dell vostro laptop. windows 7 home premium. 4 GB RAM. duo core processor 210 GHZ.500 GB HD.
-------------------------------------------------
installed--
superantispyware,spywareblaster,
malwarebytes,aomei partition assistant,
aomei backupper,ccleaner, and avast.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-26-2016, 06:27 PM
budgallxp budgallxp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 210
New update was released earlier today
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Everton's Avatar
Everton Everton is offline
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,299
I am still enjoying Vivaldi, and have had no problems. Sometimes it does take a fraction longer to open but once opened it is extremely fast. I like the useful side panel.
I was hoping Chrome Themes may install as well as the extensions but they don't. I still dislike the harsh colours.
__________________


HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-F203A All In One, 8GB RAM,1TB HD
Acer Aspire 5750G,4GB RAM, 698GB HD
Windows 10 Home

MAXTHON, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-04-2016, 02:46 PM
budgallxp budgallxp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 210
Vivaldi has had another update today
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-16-2016, 11:05 AM
Ahduncu Ahduncu is offline
Major Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 894
I don't want to start a jinx but Vivaldi has been working on my computer for a week, set up just as I want it, with all my bookmarks and extensions, and very quick. They have had several updates and, apparently, have overcome some of the glitches.
__________________
Lenovo E520
Intel Core i3
Windows 10 Professional
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome Preferred Browser
BitDefender Free
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-20-2016, 11:31 AM
budgallxp budgallxp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 210
Vivaldi has had another update
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-02-2016, 01:19 PM
budgallxp budgallxp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 210
Another new update available today
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Ahduncu Ahduncu is offline
Major Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgallxp View Post
Another new update available today
Thanks, I got it.
__________________
Lenovo E520
Intel Core i3
Windows 10 Professional
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome Preferred Browser
BitDefender Free
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2011 WorldStart, Inc