Old 04-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Major Member

New browser - Vivaldi

I read about this new browser, Vivaldi, in "How-to-Geeks" and decided to try it because it sounded interesting. I downloaded it from Google Chrome and Internet Explorer and could not get it to open. I posed the problem on their forum and also to them directly and received several answers but nothing they suggested worked. I have now been waiting 2 days for a reply from their representative but no answers.
One suggestion was to download it using Opera 12 browser, which I do not have, kind of ridiculous to have to install another browser to install still another browser.
Anyone have any suggestions? This is just an intellectual exercise on my part, it's not that important because I have the use of a number of browsers that do anything I want.
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome Preferred Browser
BitDefender Free
Old 04-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahduncu View Post
I read about this new browser, Vivaldi, in "How-to-Geeks" and decided to try it because it sounded interesting. I downloaded it from Google Chrome and Internet Explorer and could not get it to open. I posed the problem on their forum and also to them directly and received several answers but nothing they suggested worked. I have now been waiting 2 days for a reply from their representative but no answers.
One suggestion was to download it using Opera 12 browser, which I do not have, kind of ridiculous to have to install another browser to install still another browser.
Anyone have any suggestions? This is just an intellectual exercise on my part, it's not that important because I have the use of a number of browsers that do anything I want.
Why they would tell you to use a grossly out of date browser, Opera 12, I have no idea. I use Opera but its most current version is v. 36.0. Opera is the developer of Vivaldi browser.

I did NOT use Opera to download it, I downloaded it using Firefox, which is my default browser and had no difficulty whatsoever. It downloaded and installed just fine in less than one minute. It seems to be very fast. I will play around with it and see what I think.

I downloaded it from its home page

https://vivaldi.com/download/

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
I did NOT use Opera to download it
Ditto I used Maxthon

Download was fast, install was as well.
Comes complete with a large selection of bookmarks, most of which I don't want. Bookmarks imported from Edge very easily.
Dislike the bright red interface but will give it a try.
Initial impression - fast and easy to negotiate.

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-F203A All In One, 8GB RAM,1TB HD
Acer Aspire 5750G,4GB RAM, 698GB HD
Windows 10 Home

MAXTHON, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 PM
Major Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
Why they would tell you to use a grossly out of date browser, Opera 12, I have no idea. I use Opera but its most current version is v. 36.0. Opera is the developer of Vivaldi browser.

I did NOT use Opera to download it, I downloaded it using Firefox, which is my default browser and had no difficulty whatsoever. It downloaded and installed just fine in less than one minute. It seems to be very fast. I will play around with it and see what I think.

I downloaded it from its home page

https://vivaldi.com/download/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton View Post
Ditto I used Maxthon

Download was fast, install was as well.
Comes complete with a large selection of bookmarks, most of which I don't want. Bookmarks imported from Edge very easily.
Dislike the bright red interface but will give it a try.
Initial impression - fast and easy to negotiate.
Well, I hate to tell you this, I just downloaded it using Firefox and it still will not open! I have now tried with 3 browsers and no luck. Something on my computer is apparently blocking it from opening. I don't think it's my anti-virus because it would be blocked from downloading. What else could it be?
By the way, when I try to uninstall it I am always told that it is open and cannot be uninstalled until I close it. The only way to close it is to reboot my computer. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be blocking it from opening?
I have also tried to "run as administrator" and "check compatibility" but that did not help
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
BitDefender Free

Last edited by Ahduncu; 04-18-2016 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 04-18-2016, 10:52 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Well, I hate to tell you this, I just downloaded it using Firefox and it still will not open! I have now tried with 3 browsers and no luck. Something on my computer is apparently blocking it from opening. I don't think it's my anti-virus because it would be blocked from downloading. What else could it be?
By the way, when I try to uninstall it I am always told that it is open and cannot be uninstalled until I close it. The only way to close it is to reboot my computer. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be blocking it from opening?
Likely your firewall or BitDefender. You might try turning them off to do the download. Hope you can get it to install because I think you'll be pleased.
I have been trying it out all evening & thus far I really like it a lot. I was able to reduce that bright red interface that Everton mentioned by changing the interface color to light and also choosing to use Page Theme colors. So colors change somewhat between pages and only bright red is the "V" Icon in the upper left corner that you click to be able to use the Menu. I also changed the background color from default to blue and that made a difference also.

It is super fast, have been able to install my favorite extensions, AdBlockPlus, WOT and Gmail notifier. Games run super fast on it. Importing of bookmarks from Firefox was accomplished without problems. Also was able to import my preferences from Firefox too which is very nice. All in all, thus far I like it. Of course it's only been a few hours but I do like it.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-18-2016, 11:41 PM
Major Member

Quote:
Likely your firewall or BitDefender. You might try turning them off to do the download. Hope you can get it to install because I think you'll be pleased.
I have been trying it out all evening & thus far I really like it a lot. I was able to reduce that bright red interface that Everton mentioned by changing the interface color to light and also choosing to use Page Theme colors. So colors change somewhat between pages and only bright red is the "V" Icon in the upper left corner that you click to be able to use the Menu. I also changed the background color from default to blue and that made a difference also.

It is super fast, have been able to install my favorite extensions, AdBlockPlus, WOT and Gmail notifier. Games run super fast on it. Importing of bookmarks from Firefox was accomplished without problems. Also was able to import my preferences from Firefox too which is very nice. All in all, thus far I like it. Of course it's only been a few hours but I do like it.
I turned off my firewall and BitDefender, downloaded vivaldi with the same result - it will not open!
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
BitDefender Free
Old 04-20-2016, 12:10 AM
Major Member

Quote:

So far it seems very good. However, I am used to having tabs on the bookmark bar and opening a tab gives me access to various web sites. I can't seem to do that with Vivaldi, the tabs appear on the side and opening them gives me the web sites. I don't know what the bookmark bar is for in this browser, if I place my tabs on it there is nothing in them.
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
BitDefender Free
Old 04-26-2016, 10:52 PM

I've been able to add WOT to this browser but haven't found how to add AdBlockPlus.
Windows 8.1, TOSHIBA Satellite L55-A laptop, 64-bit, Intel Core i5-4200U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Avira (Free), Malwarebytes(Premium), Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntiSpyware(free), Windows Firewall, CCleaner
Old 04-19-2016, 12:08 AM
Epic Member

This is the page I downloaded from https://vivaldi.com/?lang=en

I don't mean any offence but is it possible you got the Mac version ?

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 04-19-2016, 06:01 AM
Epic Member

My apologies - I think I have misunderstood. I thought it was the installer you could not open but now believe you have gone through the install process, because you say you have tried to uninstall it and are told it is running.

Have you installed the 32bit version ? I believe that is the one to use,it says on the download page 64bit is 'experimental'
Did you install to the default location? C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\Default

Try Task Manager - end any instances of Vivaldi running, close anything else you have open and try launching it again.

Also when it is supposedly running without you being able to see it do alt+tab and see if it pops up as a running app from there. Or right click taskbar and select 'cascade windows' and see if it appears.
Look in your hidden icons on the taskbar and see if it is there.

The version I have is 1.0.435.42. The Timestamp on it is 8th April. You could check in Properties of your download that you have that one.

Take a look in Event Viewer and see if anything appears there when you try to open Vivaldi.

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 04-19-2016, 08:21 AM
Major Member

OK, I deleted the default location of Vivaldi on my computer, (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data\Default) and started over, downloading it and it installed and started up. Apparently, something in the default location was locking it. It is now opening but I have to spend time setting it up to see if I like it.
Thanks everyone for their advice and help.
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
BitDefender Free

Last edited by Ahduncu; 04-19-2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Additional Comment
Old 04-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Epic Member

Glad you got Vivaldi working.
So far I have found noting to dislike about it.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 04-19-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:

thanks, i downloaded it yesterday, and so far it works very good.
superantispyware,spywareblaster,
malwarebytes,aomei partition assistant,
aomei backupper,ccleaner, and avast.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:27 PM

New update was released earlier today
Old 04-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Epic Member

I am still enjoying Vivaldi, and have had no problems. Sometimes it does take a fraction longer to open but once opened it is extremely fast. I like the useful side panel.
I was hoping Chrome Themes may install as well as the extensions but they don't. I still dislike the harsh colours.

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 05-04-2016, 02:46 PM

Vivaldi has had another update today
Old 05-16-2016, 11:05 AM
Major Member

I don't want to start a jinx but Vivaldi has been working on my computer for a week, set up just as I want it, with all my bookmarks and extensions, and very quick. They have had several updates and, apparently, have overcome some of the glitches.
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
BitDefender Free
Old 05-20-2016, 11:31 AM

Vivaldi has had another update
Old 06-02-2016, 01:19 PM

Another new update available today
Old 06-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Major Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgallxp View Post