Old 03-20-2017, 12:39 PM
STEELER FAN

Laptops

I bought my grandkids new laptops several years ago. The are HP, running Windows 7. I want to wipe them out to give them to younger grandkids. I guess 11 years olds need computers to do homework now a days. How do I go about taking them back to when they were new? The biggest problems is my grandson forgot his password, so I can't even get in his. When they were new, HP had me create 4 discs which I still have. I put them in, but I don't know where to go to wipe them out to factory specs. Can this be done, and is there a way to get by the password on the one? I hope that you can understand what I want to do. Thank you for anyone that looks into this for me.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Intel Core i5-3337U processor
6GB memory 500GB harddrive Windows 8
Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 PM

Location: Old Californian using Windows 10 64bit, Firefox, Chrome, Comodo Ice Dragon, IE 11 & cable.
IF the discs are recovery discs, then you should be able to just insert the disc and boot from it, then follow instructions. I would think that you will not need a password for this.

If this restores to the original Windows 7, then you will also need to do the updates

Click Here to view latest edition
Old 03-20-2017, 02:31 PM
STEELER FAN

I have to charge them both and then I'll take a look at the discs. I assume they would be recovery discs. I can think of no other reason that HP would have me make them. I just don't know what to look for since there are 4 discs. I liked it when the used to give you the disc for recovery.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
I have to charge them both and then I'll take a look at the discs. I assume they would be recovery discs. I can think of no other reason that HP would have me make them. I just don't know what to look for since there are 4 discs. I liked it when the used to give you the disc for recovery.
Did you number the disks as you burned them? It is a really easy process to wipe the drive back to factory. But you do have to put the disks in in correct order. The disks should have names, even if you did not personally name or number them as you should have done.

Put one disk in, Open, PC or My PC and see what name is shown for that disk once it is recognized by the computer.

It should give you an indication of what the disk is and possibly the order burned.

Once you have them correctly arranged in order from 1 to 4 then you do exactly as Phil said and follow the prompts exactly as given by the disk.

Phil is also correct, this is also going to wipe the password so no problem there. You create a new one if you feel it is needed once you get to that section of set up after the reformat has completed.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 PM
STEELER FAN

I did label the discs from 1 - 4. I'm following the link and started the first laptop. So far so good. I'll see what happens from here. Thank you.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Old 03-20-2017, 05:46 PM
STEELER FAN

First laptop done. Second one started. Everything is going perfect. I thank you all for your help.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Old 03-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
I bought my grandkids new laptops several years ago. The are HP, running Windows 7. I want to wipe them out to give them to younger grandkids. I guess 11 years olds need computers to do homework now a days. How do I go about taking them back to when they were new? The biggest problems is my grandson forgot his password, so I can't even get in his. When they were new, HP had me create 4 discs which I still have. I put them in, but I don't know where to go to wipe them out to factory specs. Can this be done, and is there a way to get by the password on the one? I hope that you can understand what I want to do. Thank you for anyone that looks into this for me.
You can follow the steps here to perform a system recovery.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418