Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > Mac OS Ask and Answer Questions

Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Epic Member

how do I delete (remove) a name in address book?

No problem adding name to address book in "mail," but cannot find any way to remove an unwanted name. Any suggestions?
HD 451G
memory 8 G
Intel core 2 quad cpu
malwarebytes
KAV
connects to internet by satellite
Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Happy Retiree

Not knowing which mail program you are referring to but guessing by your PC stats of Win7 X64 in your signature I'm guessing you are using Windows Live Mail on a Windows PC and not a Mac... but the process would be similar in just about all mail programs.... Use the "Edit" feature of your Contacts folder to edit out any or all information you have for a particular contact that you no longer want.... Once you have erased everything during your editing, then SAVE that blank info.... thus deleting or removing that contact..... Just click on the contacts icon at the bottom left of the WLM program to open contacts, then can right click on an individual person and choose Edit Contact from the choices.....
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 52.0.1, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.2 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 01-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Epic Member

sorry big toe for not being more specific...........I do have win7 on a pc and am doing ok with it. It's hubby's mac. He has unwanted names in his address book that he is unable to delete. He has tried highlighting the name and hitting the delete key (doesn't work.) There is no button or offer to delete under any of the themes at the top of page. We have two Mac "how to" books and neither addresses this issue. We're completely stumped!
HD 451G
memory 8 G
Intel core 2 quad cpu
malwarebytes
KAV
Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Happy Retiree

No problem Barbara.... I'm a PC user only as well, and didn't know that Mac's have their own Address Book application that is included with the Mac.... Looking it up, I see that the edit feature is still the step to take.... Here's the steps for deleting a contact (person or business) on the Mac from this eHow site http://www.ehow.com/how_5044759_delete-contact-mac.html :

- Open the Address Book application by clicking on the Dock icon.
- Select the contact card you wish to delete by clicking on the person or business's name.
-Go to the "Edit" menu at the top and select the "Delete Card" option. A pop-up window will open asking you to confirm your decision.
-Click on the "Delete" button in the confirmation window to permanently delete the contact from your Address Book.

I'm not familiar with the operation of a Mac and using the right mouse button to get to drop down choices as we do with most functions on a PC, so hope the above info works successfully for him.....
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 52.0.1, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.2 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Epic Member

thanks big toe, appreciate your help!
HD 451G
memory 8 G
Intel core 2 quad cpu
malwarebytes
KAV
Old 01-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Happy Retiree

Good deal, glad you were successful.... Appreciate the chance for me to learn something new as well....