Old 01-14-2012, 03:19 PM

M.Bytes download page...

Ok, I checked these out........there certainly is a lot of stuff there. I.E. is blocking any download, but I could get around that. Should I 'run' or 'save' the file ? does it really take nearly an hour to download ???
Old 01-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
Ok, I checked these out........there certainly is a lot of stuff there. I.E. is blocking any download, but I could get around that. Should I 'run' or 'save' the file ? does it really take nearly an hour to download ???
Are you on dial-up? If so, possibly, the install file is 10.3MB
If you are not on dial-up then no it should not take 1 hour.

You should save the file and then close all browsers and double click the install file to install. It will ask to update, choose yes.

Look at attachment to see exactly what you should see when offered the file.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.54.0. ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Protecting and Serving

Thanks for the heads up Kassie. Will pass it on.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Life's Tough,Get A Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Umpire View Post
Thanks for the heads up Kassie. Will pass it on.
Your Welcome.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Have an awesome day!

Wow. I used to think CNET was trustworthy. Looks like I need to come back to the forum and get caught up. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM
MikeN.

Another example

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN. View Post
Just ran a scan with SAS. Found the SpeedFan.exe from Cnet. Malwarbytes did not see it.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 02/20/2012 at 08:00 PM

Application Version : 5.0.1144

Core Rules Database Version : 8260
Trace Rules Database Version: 6072

Scan type : Quick Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:08:51

Operating System Information
Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit, Service Pack 3 (Build 5.01.2600)
Administrator

Memory items scanned : 706
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 28475
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 7682
File threats detected : 1

PUP.CNETInstaller
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\BIRDDOG\DESKTOP\2010 DOWNLOADS\CNET2_INSTALLSPEEDFAN445_EXE.EXE
Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 AM

At one time, downloads requested from Cnet (Download.com) behaved like any other, you clicked the link and your download began. Now though, ordinary users are required to use Cnet's own wrapped installer in order to download a program. This means what you end up with could well contain additional elements you might not want, and if you fail to notice any “opt out's” during the install process, these extras will be installed on your computer.

Not all Cnet hosted programs have a wrapped installer, but those that do have the words "CNET Installer Enabled" displayed at the bottom of the green download button. There is however a direct download link just under this which bypasses the wrapped installer. A Cnet account is no longer necessary for direct downloads. This is a welcome development [February 2012] in response to the pressure exerted by both users and vendors who host their files with Cnet.

Overall, we still remain unhappy with the whole issue surrounding wrapped installers and will continue to link our own downloads to MajorGeeks, Softpedia and FileHippo instead.

There will be instances when programs are only available from Download.com, or where the alternative mirrors do not meet our criteria for reliability and safety. In such cases we will post a warning notice next to the download link.

As with all downloads, from wherever sourced, we recommend you scan the file with your resident antivirus first before executing it. Alternatively, you can use the free version of Malwarebytes which includes a right-click scan option, or upload/email the file to VirusTotal which uses multiple scanners.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:32 PM

I had trusted Cnet for years, but recently found all you say to be true. I had to stop using Cnet because I got so many problems from using them for downloads.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kercelia View Post
I had trusted Cnet for years, but recently found all you say to be true. I had to stop using Cnet because I got so many problems from using them for downloads.
Hi Kercelia...know what you are saying about CNET. Same here. Check out Mike's thread...
http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=157857
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 AM
Learning

CNET still the same?

Is the following still true for today on onward? I was wondering if CNET has made any changes to better itself.

"CNET Download.com was caught adding spyware, adware, and other malware to thousands of software packages. It is bad enough when software authors include toolbars and other unwanted apps bundled with their software. But having Download.com insert such things into 3rd party installers is even more insidious. When users find their systems hosed (searches redirected, home pages changed, new hard-to-uninstall toolbars taking up space in their browser) after installing software, they are likely to blame the software authors. But in this case it is entirely Download.com's fault for infecting the installers! So while Download.com takes the payment for exploiting their user's trust and infecting the machines, it is the software authors who wrongly take the blame! Of course it is users who pay the ultimate price of having their systems infected just to make a few bucks for CNET."
LenovoH50-50, 64 Bit, RAM 6.0gb Windows 10Home, but using Classic Shell for Windows 8,Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, CCleaner, Lenovo OneKeyRecovery, Cobian Backup
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 AM
MikeN.

Would say its still true. thread recently mentioned a download from Cnet and got malware. There are safe sites to get downloads. If you are looking for something in particular just start a thread and somebody will direct you in the right direction
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Learning

Thanks Mike,

I was just curious is all. Awhile back, when I was looking for a free Uninstaller Download I noticed a lot of downloads of many varieties from CNET and it made me wonder.
LenovoH50-50, 64 Bit, RAM 6.0gb Windows 10Home, but using Classic Shell for Windows 8,Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, CCleaner, Lenovo OneKeyRecovery, Cobian Backup