Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > Guides and Tutorials

Old 05-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Forum Moderator

Windows 8/8.1 Password Protect User Account

1) Right click the start button and choose control panel. Or open the charms menu > settings > control panel.
2) In control panel open user accounts.
3) Click manage another account. Double click your user account. Click create a password. If you already have a password assigned to the account and want to change it click change your password.
4) Type the password you would like to use in the new password field. Type the password again in the confirm new password field.
5) Type a password hint in the password hint box.
6) Click create password. Click OK.

Create a Password Reset Disk
In the event that you forget your password you can create and use a password reset disk. A password reset disk can be created for a local account. You will use a USB flash drive to create the password reset disk.

1) Insert the USB drive into a USB port on your computer.
2) Right click the start button and choose control panel. Or open the charms menu > settings > control panel.
3) In control panel open user accounts.
4) Click create a password reset disk in the menu on the left.
5) The password wizard will open.
6) Click next. Use the drop down to select the USB drive that you would like to use. Click next.
7) Type your current password in the current user account password field. Click next. When the process is complete click the next button again. Click the finish button to close the wizard. The password reset file will be named Userkey.psw.
8) Label the USB drive to identify it as your password reset disk and store the drive in a safe, secure location.

Use a Password Reset Disk
1) From the logon screen if you type the wrong password you will see a message that the password is incorrect and to try again. Click OK.
2) Insert the password reset USB drive into your computer.
3) Click reset password. The password reset wizard will open. Click next.
4) Use the drop down to select the USB drive that you would like to use. Click next.
5) Type the new password you would like to use in the new password field. Type it again in the confirm password field. Type a password hint in the new password hint field. Click next.
6) Click finish to close the wizard. Log into your account using the new password you chose. It is a good idea to create a new password reset disk at this time using your new password.

Enable or Disable Password Protection on Wakeup
1) Right click the start button and choose control panel. Or open the charms menu > settings > control panel.
2) Click power options.
3) Click require a password on wakeup if you are not currently using that option.
4) Click change settings that are currently unavailable.
5) Select the option to require a password. Or to disable the setting select the option donít require a password. Click save changes.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Uber Member

I don't use the sleep function on my computer but would like to know if it is possible to disable the need for a password on boot.

When I switch my computer on, it will not boot to desktop until I input my Microsoft password.
can this be bypassed?

I am the only one who uses this computer, so a password is not really necessary.

EDIT: I just Googled for the answers but I am told that booting without a password is not recommended.
What do you think Sunny?
Firefox 52.0.2, Norton Security Deluxe 22.9.1.12

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 05-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarney View Post
I don't use the sleep function on my computer but would like to know if it is possible to disable the need for a password on boot.

When I switch my computer on, it will not boot to desktop until I input my Microsoft password.
can this be bypassed?

I am the only one who uses this computer, so a password is not really necessary.

EDIT: I just Googled for the answers but I am told that booting without a password is not recommended.
What do you think Sunny?
Hi Barney, are you using a local user account in Windows 8 or do you sign in with a Microsoft Account? You would have had your choice during the initial Windows 8 setup.
Either way I recommend having a password enabled on your user account. It is an added layer of security.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Hi Barney, are you using a local user account in Windows 8 or do you sign in with a Microsoft Account? You would have had your choice during the initial Windows 8 setup.
Either way I recommend having a password enabled on your user account. It is an added layer of security.
I use a Microsoft Account and having done some research since I posted my question, I agree with you.
I will keep the password enabled.
Firefox 52.0.2, Norton Security Deluxe 22.9.1.12

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarney View Post
I use a Microsoft Account and having done some research since I posted my question, I agree with you.
I will keep the password enabled.
Hi Barney, if you are logging in with your MS account you must have a password. But either way you are smart to have one setup.