Old 05-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Forum Moderator

Add Quick Launch Toolbar to Windows 7/8

By default Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 do not include the quick launch toolbar that was available in previous versions of Windows. To open programs quickly in Windows 7 and Windows 8 you can “pin” items to the taskbar. Many users prefer the quick launch toolbar. Follow the steps below to add the quick launch toolbar to the Windows 7 and Windows 8 taskbar.

1) Right click a blank area of the taskbar.
2) Remove the check from “lock the taskbar” if the taskbar is locked.
3) Right click a blank area of the taskbar again. From the right click menu choose toolbars > new toolbar.
4) In the new toolbar window paste the following path into the folder area. %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
5) Click select folder. The quick launch toolbar will be added to the taskbar.
6) Right click the dotted line next to the quick launch toolbar.
7) Remove the check from show text and show title.
8) Grab the dotted line and drag the quick launch toolbar to the left, next to the start button.
9) Right click the taskbar and choose lock taskbar.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Junior Senior Member

But can you then unpin it from the taskbar and relocate it? That's my real beef with 7/8.

Paul D

Intel i5 @ 3.5GHz, 120gb SSD, 2xHDs (3GB total), 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, 2x24" Samsung monitors
Old 05-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
But can you then unpin it from the taskbar and relocate it? That's my real beef with 7/8.
Paul, unpin what? A program you pin to the taskbar? Or the quick launch bar? The quick launch bar is not pinned to the taskbar, it is a toolbar added to the taskbar. You can move it.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Junior Senior Member

We've had this conversation before!

In XP and Vista you can remove the Quicklaunch Bar from the taskbar and relocate it to another side of the screen or even floating mid-screen. And then you can add more toolbars to it. My understanding has always been that in 7/8 this is impossible.

Paul D

Intel i5 @ 3.5GHz, 120gb SSD, 2xHDs (3GB total), 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, 2x24" Samsung monitors
Old 05-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
We've had this conversation before!

In XP and Vista you can remove the Quicklaunch Bar from the taskbar and relocate it to another side of the screen or even floating mid-screen. And then you can add more toolbars to it. My understanding has always been that in 7/8 this is impossible.
I don't believe it is possible Paul, to move the quick launch bar. Since that option was "built in" part of the OS in Windows XP and Windows Vista that worked but it is a "tweak" when you add it to Windows 7 & 8.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Junior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
I don't believe it is possible Paul, to move the quick launch bar. Since that option was "built in" part of the OS in Windows XP and Windows Vista that worked but it is a "tweak" when you add it to Windows 7 & 8.
Yep, I was afraid of that.

Another example of MS "improving" things! Over many years I have built my entire OS around a row of toolbars across the top of my dual screens. This is a major reason why I will be dragged kicking and screaming into using 7/8

Paul D

Old 05-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Yep, I was afraid of that.

Another example of MS "improving" things! Over many years I have built my entire OS around a row of toolbars across the top of my dual screens. This is a major reason why I will be dragged kicking and screaming into using 7/8
I understand.