Old 12-06-2014, 02:36 PM

Exclamation File & Disk Name Changed

Hello,

I have a 2009 Mac.

Today the name of a file changed, then when I went to run 'disk utility' I noticed the name of my hard drive changed too!

I just ran 'verify/repair' permissions and verify disk' and it looked OK. But do not know what to do about the file name change and disk name change.

Help!

My file changed to

znfgpx,h; 'w

My disk 22jj510 was added to the name.

I am running Mavericks (updated) on a 2009 Macbook.

HP Pavilion 9428nr Laptop. IE 7; Outlook 2007. Norton 360. 2G RAM. Vista SP2

HP Slimline Desktop Windows 7; 64 Bit ; 8GB Ram; Norton Internet Security.

Macbook 2009; 4 GB Ram; Safari & Firefox.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Happy Retiree

Your signature shows a couple of Windows machines and both are running an AV program (although calling MSE an AV program is questionable,even by Microsoft).... Are you also running an anti-virus program on your Mac with the Mavericks OS X operating system? It sounds like your system has been hijacked by a virus or malware bad guy. Here is a nice recent article from ZDnet giving some info on about 18 AV programs tested by AV Comparatives for the Mac computer that you might find of interest: Tests Compare Mac OS X Anti-Malware Products. There are some very good programs listed, with many free ones that rated at the very top of the list. Some of those tested by AV Comparatives gave some surprising low results...

I'm not a Mac user on a regular basis, but doing a malware and virus check should be one of the first things to do when something on the computer other than you changes files and folders as you mentioned.
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 53.0, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.3.1 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 PM

Arrow

Appreciate the quick response.

I chose ESET (since they offer a 30 day trial & scored 100% according to the article) it found 9 'threats' and quarantined them.

I don't know what to expect now, but had already changed the name of the single folder back to it's original, should I change the Hard Drive name back too (it still shows the name with the strange characters (22jj510)? Name change shows up on name of the hard drive in Disk Utility, not the part that says Mac HD but the part that shows the brand of my HD!

To Note:

1. I had been trying an AV for mac for a while but it was not good. I don't know why, but never ran into a list like what is on the link as recent as May 2014.

2. I thought I had updated my old sig before, still updating.

HP Pavilion 9428nr Laptop. IE 7; Outlook 2007. Norton 360. 2G RAM. Vista SP2

HP Slimline Desktop Windows 7; 64 Bit ; 8GB Ram; Norton Internet Security.

Macbook 2009; 4 GB Ram; Safari & Firefox.