Old 08-03-2016, 02:58 PM
Major Member

Smile Need Info on best Cell phone but on the inexpensive side

Can someone give me some information about the best, but not costly Cell phone to purchase. I need to get something that verison will accept. Any help appreciated as I know nothing about cell phones. Thanks Char
Old 08-04-2016, 07:27 AM
Senior Member, Retired

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-002

Canon Pixma MG2520 Printer
New 9/15/16
Old 08-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char374 View Post
Can someone give me some information about the best, but not costly Cell phone to purchase. I need to get something that verison will accept. Any help appreciated as I know nothing about cell phones. Thanks Char
The "best" can only be determined by you, not someone else relating what is best for them, or what was best for a family member or friend. Do you want a smart phone, or a simple flip phone that only does phone calls? Do you have a large hand, a small hand, a medium hand and which phone is most comfortable for you to hold or fits in your pocket or purse best..... As you see, only you can decide which is best for you.... Since you want or need the Verizon network, you should visit a Verizon store and ask questions and look at and test many different phones.... You don't have to decide at that time. Then go visit WalMart or Target or any of a multitude of stores that carry cell phones and see what they have for their Verizon related plans. Are you going to pay directly to Verizon or are you going to use a 3rd party network that operates on the Verizon network, like Cricket or Metro PC, or any other similar stores? If so, visit their store and see what phones they have for their network. Also will need to decide if you want a contract or a pay as you go plan, or monthly plan... how much data are you going to use or need, that will help determine which plan is best for you....

Lots of things to decide, but like doing a test drive of a new car, you need to try out phones at a business and then decide which is best for you and your needs and circumstances......
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 53.0, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.3.2 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 08-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Major Member

Thanks for the replies. We have sold our home and though I had AT&T for the last 20 years and had DSL that is not available at our new property. So I am searching the best and least expensive way to go for internet service and phone. In fact right now I am at a camp ground and the service is very unreliable. I have awhile until our new house is built so would appreciate any information on any internet or wireless phone service that is good and as inexpensive as possible. I have no idea even how many GB a month would work for me. Thanks Char
Old 08-06-2016, 02:43 PM
Happy Retiree

You mentioned Verizon, so might take a look at this link: http://internet.verizon.com/verizon-fios-coverage.html to see if available in your new area.... If fiber optic (FIOS) is available that would be your fastest. Do you need good cell coverage while traveling? Verizon is rated the best for 4G LTE coverage, but T-Mobile recently tested as #2 for LTE speed just behind Verizon. Not necessary to have the same Internet/TV service and same cellular service. If at all possible, check with neighbors around the area of your new home and see who they use for either or both, and how good the coverage might be. A company good in one town might be lousy in the next town due to lack of cell tower placement. Verizon is known as the most expensive, but does have the best national coverage if travel is big part of your lives. Your home may be so rural that you would have to go with a dish satellite provider, really don't have any idea from this view point, as far as Internet/TV coverage....

Example, I just returned from an Alaska cruise and had superb coverage while family with T-Mobile had poor coverage in Alaska but in Canada did not have to use roaming while I did with Verizon. We only have cellular phone service so enjoy the coverage provided by Verizon, but do wish it was a bit cheaper for our family plan covering us and a daughter living elsewhere. Local research at stores and with your new neighbors will help decide on good coverage and best company to go with; not really possible for someone in another part of the country to advise. What might be great for the adviser in their living area might just be totally lousy for you, depending on coverage available and your intended/planned usage. Multiple inquiries in your intended usage area would give you a pretty good idea on who provides best coverage. Strike up a conversation with someone at a nearby grocery store or folks out in the new neighborhood will give you some good input on what company or which cellular service is most satisfying in that new area.

As for GB needed on your cellular plan, it completely depends on how you are going to use your phone. If you will stream movies on your phone, then you will use more data than someone who just uses WiFi connection to check internet and email on their phone. WiFi use, rather than cellular, will save you a lot of GB data use. 2 or 4 GB might be all you need, while someone using mostly cellular on their phone and looking at TV and movies and other streaming would need a larger GB plan. The larger the GB plan, the more expensive your cell phone bill becomes. Rather than a 2 year contract you might want to just go monthly pay as you go, and get an idea of how much data you will use/need and which company gives you the best value. Locking yourself into a 2 yr contract and being unhappy with coverage can be expensive if you opt out or want to change providers due to expensive opt out fees that companies charge.

Again, talking to a lot of local folks - neighborhood folks and cell providers in your new area - will help you get an idea on what company best suits your needs and is the cheapest (which is really a relative term, as cheap to one person might be a bit expensive to someone else). Travel coverage for you is likely different than the next persons, so may or may not be important to you. Buying your phone outright or paying it off monthly makes a difference on the type of phone plan that you would be getting.

The phone brand really depends on just how you want or will be using your cell phone (smart phones are really just small computers that have a talk app allowing you to make calls), so only you know how you will use your phone... amount of texting, amount of Internet browsing, emailing or calling and if calling is all you will do (which would only require a small data plan and thus cheaper way to go). Really, only you can decide what is best for your needs. At least, that is my opinion, someone else might give different advice and a recommendation that fits their need and not necessarily your needs....
Do a search for "best cell plans or cheapest cellular plans" in your area of North Carolina will give you some ideas and lots of choices.
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 53.0, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.3.2 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 08-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Major Member

Big Toe, Thank you so much for all your time and information. Yes I am finding Verison is on the expensive side. Trying to look into no contract options while we are in limbo till the house is built. This is all new to me, but I believe the other companies use the verison tower and if this is so are their reception any different? No contract service is less expensive. I'll keep checking and at least with no contract we aren't tied in. Thanks for any an all information. Char
t
Old 08-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Major Member

Big Toe, Thank you so much for all your time and information. Yes I am finding Verison is on the expensive side. Trying to look into no contract options while we are in limbo till the house is built. This is all new to me, but I believe the other companies use the verison tower and if this is so are their reception any different? No contract service is less expensive. I'll keep checking and at least with no contract we aren't tied in. Thanks for any an all information. Char
Old 08-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char374 View Post
Verizon uses the CDMA network so look for 3rd party cellular providers that also use CDMA network... They use the extra space that Verizon provides to them so yes you will be using the same towers for transmission and these companies tend to offer cheaper plans. Just need to be sure they service the area you're moving to as some are good along the freeways and Interstate Highways but not so good in rural areas.. If you stop by the electronics section of a WalMart you can ask lots of questions and get good price ideas for plans and phones as they provide services from many different cellular providers. Let them know how you plan to use the phone and your needs and you're given lots of ideas.. Their Straight Talk program is often recommended by Consumers Report as a good buy for many people.. I'm not affiliated with Walmart by the way...lol... Long retired Crisis Interventionist and do use Verizon so know how expensive they can get.. So much depends on how you will use the phone as to the best route to go. A no contract plan lets you try out a plan and lets you make adjustments without having to pay a termination fee for breaking the contract.... Happy research

This site might be an interesting read for your neck of the woods:
http://www.mountainwireless.com/reviews/southeast.shtml
Old 08-08-2016, 08:31 AM
Major Member

Again thank you Big Toe, as time allows I will be searching for the best deal for us. Char