Old 09-09-2016, 03:15 PM
Windows 10 Pro

Samsung Note 4 USB Won't Connect

My wife has a Samsung Note 4 Smartphone. She wanted to retrieve the pictures off the phone hard drive. She does not have a SD Card. We plug it into usb port and it does not work. I go into Device Manager and there is an error under Unknown USB Device...Says Code 43...windows has stopped this device because it reported problems. I rebooted the computer and the phone and same thing. So I take phone up to my computer and I get the same results. It's not the computers. Any ideas? I can connect a $10 phone no problem..This is one of the best phones. We both run Windows 10 Home and Pro. One more thing I tried was I removed the device from device manager and rebooted...Same error. Hope you can help.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Happy Retiree

Couple of ideas come to mind:

1- if the phone is still active with a cellular provider is to use a program like Dropbox or Google Photos installed on the phone and her computer to upload the photos from the phone, more or less using "the cloud" to exchange/access the photos on both the phone and the computer...

2- Do you by chance have an extra usb/micro usb cable (possibly from the $10 phone) that you could switch cables just to be sure it is not a defective cable that is being used. Possibly she has an extra cable included with a car or other charger for the phone? If her cable works for charging the phone then it likely is OK, but might be worth a try.

3- By chance, did she happen to install a micro SD card on the phone to expand capacity and then hopefully back up the photos to that card in the phone. If she did, could also put the Micro SD card into a standard SD card holder and then use that SD card with her computer to access the photos.

Just tried my old Galaxy S4, no longer active as a phone with Verizon since using iPhone now, and connected it to Win10 Home laptop via its USB cable. I can read pics that are on the hard drive of the S4 phone (Photos folder) and also backed up to the micro SD card (DCIM folder) I installed on the phone to increase capacity of the phone.

Thus agree, no problem transferring/importing the pics from the phone via Win 10 on the laptop as the Win10 operating system would work fine with the storage on the connected phone, provided the usb cable is OK between computer USB port and the phone micro USB port.

The other alternative as mentioned is to store the pics in "the cloud" by use of any of many different programs on the phone (hopefully she backs up to a program), and then install the same program on the computer and log in..... Google Photo is free and unlimited capacity and allows her to log in and view her photos from any computer or smart phone. She may well have another pay or preferred program to back up her photos to from the phone, so I offer Google Photo just as a suggestion (extended family use it and enjoying sharing photos). Some use Facebook, most of us don't, so the program works quite well...whether android or Apple phones being used by family members.
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 53.0, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.3.2 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 09-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Epic Member

There are some solutions here that are worth checking
https://www.wiknix.com/usb-device-not-recognized/

Also this http://www.windows10forums.com/threa...ndows-10.1527/

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-F203A All In One, 8GB RAM,1TB HD
Acer Aspire 5750G,4GB RAM, 698GB HD
Windows 10 Home

MAXTHON, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 09-10-2016, 07:16 AM
Windows 10 Pro

Wife went out of town and will return tonight. I will try these suggestions out and report back...Thanks.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:36 PM
Windows 10 Pro

Nothing worked...Tonight my SIL has the same problem now...and started after this Win 10 Aug 2 Anniversary Update...There are a lot of hardware not working due to this piece of crap OS...webcams for one. Thanks for your replies.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:42 PM
Happy Retiree

Presuming the phone is currently active she might consider the new Google Photos so she can upload and back up her photos. Then she can view or share them with others by means of any Internet connected computer or device/phone ..... Info at this Android Central website: http://www.androidcentral.com/google-photos

*****After a variety of different photo strategies — including Picasa and Google+ Photos — Google has gone strongly into one centralized photo service, simply called Google Photos. The service is focused on making your photos available anywhere you want them and easily searchable, leveraging Google's expertise in cloud computing and storage.******

As mentioned previously I have Win10, the Home version from a Win7 upgrade with all current updates, and no problem connecting an old Samsung Galaxy S4 to retrieve or view photos stored on it. Perhaps the Pro version of Win 10 may or may not be part of the difficulty she is experiencing - that I don't know - but Google Photos is free solution to get pictures from the phone to any computer and she can store/upload all the photos she wants.... I have all photos from several phones there going back 9 years and can see them from any web connected device......

Google Photos
All your photos are backed up safely, organized and labeled automatically, so you can find them fast, and share them how you like. Just go to:
photos.google.com

FAQs and Help at: https://support.google.com/photos#topic=6128818
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 53.0, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.3.2 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 09-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Windows 10 Pro

she has them all backed up to her verizon cloud. The cloud is almost full. Only way to get them off the cloud is to remove them from the phone then it will sync and delete them from the cloud...Right? I guess she could download them from cloud...then delete them from cloud...which in turn would delete them from phone as it will sync?? Or would it just upload phone again to cloud?????
Old 09-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffbros View Post
she has them all backed up to her verizon cloud. The cloud is almost full. Only way to get them off the cloud is to remove them from the phone then it will sync and delete them from the cloud...Right? I guess she could download them from cloud...then delete them from cloud...which in turn would delete them from phone as it will sync?? Or would it just upload phone again to cloud?????
I have some backed up to verizon cloud but it is limited space on the free account (5GB) which also has address/contacts backed up there and some docs, etc. I now have all photos backed up to the new Google Photos as there's no limit and it's free so no concern about backing up less important photos. All photos are copied there automatically and viewable or downloadable to any internet connected device with browser going to photos.google.com

Verizon cloud info and FAQs available here:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/sear...yt&sayt=Cloud*

She could create folders in Google Photos and share those folders by inviting someone to view/post in that folder. Always good to back up to several locations and devices, at least anything important. And could download a copy from Google Photos onto any device.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Epic Member

Have you tried using the Win 10 built in "Phone Companion" ?

http://www.dummies.com/computers/ope...one-companion/

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-F203A All In One, 8GB RAM,1TB HD
Acer Aspire 5750G,4GB RAM, 698GB HD
Windows 10 Home

MAXTHON, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
Thunderbird
Avast! Free