Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > Virus And Malware Help

Old 04-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Please Stop Using These Websites for Downloads

Please Stop Using These Websites for Downloads

CNET., Download.com, Softonic, Soft32, Tucows, SourceForge, Softomate*, Brothersoft*, Filewon.com*

In the last 6 week period, from mid-February to March 31, 2014, there have been 20 threads begun in the Virus and Malware Help Forum. 2 of those were not infection related but one question asking about a specific av program and the other one was a question for removing a legitimate program. The other 18 all were posted by users with infected computers. While 3 of them chose not to do the cleanup steps (one stating he would "live with it") & the other 2 just not returning), the other 15 did follow instructions and completely cleaned up their computers. On every single one of those 18 threads, including the 3 who chose not to clean, the computers in question contained PUP Malware, Potentially Unwanted Programs.

Why did ALL of these 18 computers end up with these PUP's? For ONE REASON and ONE REASON ONLY, each and every user got their Free program downloads using one or more of the 9 Unsafe download web sites listed above. No Other Reason, that is the ONLY way these PUP's can enter a computer.

Despite the fact that every user asks WHY and despite the fact that we continue to stress not to use these sites, listing them each and every time, people continue to do so, some multiple times after their first cleanup when they were told WHY, and also despite the fact that Kassie posted a sticky giving a warning about using CNET for downloads two years ago,

http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=157919

yet people still continue to use CNET and all the others listed above.

Each & every one of those 9 sites force users to take a 3rd party bundler installer in order to receive the program the user wants.

Several of the sites also include an "special downloader" to allegedly speed up the downloads. There is no such thing. Download speeds depend on the users internet provider and if it is a slow provider then nothing you install on the computer itself can make it go faster than the speed provided by the Internet Provider.

Do a search for a download "speeder upper" program and the first links given are for one or more of those 9 web sites listed above. Most of the other links, not related to one of those, are for articles on how to speed the computer in general, no downloads for programs to speed downloads.

So those 9 sites force the users to take 2 extras that absolutely are NOT NEEDED and have nothing to do with the programs they wanted. An extra or special installer is NEVER needed, legitimate programs use either their OWN installer that comes WITH the program or use the built in Windows Installer.

Both of these "download helpers" and "special installers" are bundle ware containers. The web sites above are PAID to use them so that the PUP's contained in them will be installed on the users computers, without the users knowledge, for advertising purposes and tracking purposes so users can be directed to the web sites the PUP programs want them to visit and also can bring in additional PUP's or something much worse when visiting sites they are directed to but did not choose.

The first six web sites receive GREEN WOT ratings because the web sites themselves are safe to READ, but NOT safe for downloads.

Softomate and Brothersoft both have Orange/Yellow Unsatisfactory WOT ratings, meaning the web sites themselves should not be visited at all.
Filewon.com is little known and therefore has no WOT rating yet but it uses a VERY DANGEROUS 3rd party installer containing dangerous PUP's.

These 9 sites likely are not the only sites that use these, they are just the ones well known. Go to the developer web site 1st for downloads, then check either majorgeeks or filehippo for whatever it is that you want, if neither of those two safe sites offer it then you just don't need or want it.

For your own safety and the safety of your computer and everything on it Please Stop Using Those Websites for Downloads.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.54.0. ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Saved By Grace

Thumbs up

Judys right any time your going to download an application take an extra minute to check it out with a link checker, such as this one called URL Void..

http://www.urlvoid.com/about-us/

Even if you've checked the site before check it again before downloading sometimes a bad guy will sneak in when your not looking..

Either that or keep coming back to have Judy fix your mistakes..

Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Shalom
Old 04-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Thanks for that link hogndog, but remember, this only shows if the web site itself is a dangerous site to visit, and the first six will and do get good ratings because reading or visiting them is not dangerous, but the downloads you get from them that are dangerous and packed with malware because they use bundler installers.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.54.0. ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-05-2014, 06:48 AM

Great post Judy

I stay with bleepingcomputer, filehippo or majorgeeks, all have been around for many years. I also advise people to never do express installs anymore for fear of PUPs, custom install sounds scary to some but it really is so simple.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owbist View Post
Great post Judy

I stay with bleepingcomputer, filehippo or majorgeeks, all have been around for many years. I also advise people to never do express installs anymore for fear of PUPs, custom install sounds scary to some but it really is so simple.
Thanks Owbist for the compliment and I absolutely agree with your recommendation of not using Express install. I am really glad that you thought to mention this because it is very important and not something I had thought to mention. So thank YOU!

One definition of the word Express means (fastest with no stops) often used on rapid transit systems but also when installing software on your computer.

The word Express is also used by some software developers interchangeably or "instead of" the word Standard, meaning install the program with all the pre-selected Defaults so no stops nor user interaction required. You Do want to see everything included and you do want to be able to interact with the install and opt out of something if needed. Express/Standard installs usually do not give user this option.

Now this can mean the actual working Program defaults (which some users also may not want), but it very often means this type of install WILL also include All the Extras the developer or download site has been paid to include, like Chrome or some sort of online website scanner, that you don't want or need because they are also Pre-selected, this can & often does include P.U.P.'s.

The Standard/Express install gives you little to no option choices except possibly install language, but other than that you are usually shown nothing. You choose Standard/Express and the program quickly installs, you may be shown the Start button and then the next thing you will see is Finished.

If given the option, Always choose Custom Install, Not Express or Standard. As Owbist says, there really is Nothing scary about a Custom install and it helps to keep YOU in control of your computer not some "unknown" outsider.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 01-07-2017, 09:32 PM

thanks for the heads up . I myself am one of the guilty ones. I dont know how many times I have downloaded stuff from Softonic. I later uninstalled most of them , but the bad stuff is still there. At this time Judy is helping me get rid of malware, which my computer is loaded with. Thank you all for taking the time to help. I will not be visiting those sites and will take your advise to heart.
Thanks
Susan
Old 01-07-2017, 09:40 PM
Saved By Grace

Thumbs up

You can trust Judy's advice she's an almost really old member.

Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Shalom
Old 01-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogndog View Post
you can trust judy's advice she's an almost really old member.
You are right about that hogndog