Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > Virus And Malware Help

Old 03-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Uber Member

http://news.filehippo.com/2017/03/new-chrome-malware-is-the-snipe-hunt-of-scams/

If you use Chrome browser, please be warned....

https://malwaretips.com/threads/new-...f-scams.69146/
8GB RAm
1 TB HD

There MUST be TERM LIMITS on ALL politicians.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm65 View Post
If you use Chrome browser, please be warned....

https://malwaretips.com/threads/new-...f-scams.69146/
The first warning I saw about this was in January at Bleepingcomputer:

On January 18, 2017 : Chrome Users Targeted with Malware via New "Font Wasn't Found" Technique

Next on January 31, 2017 : Fake Chrome Font Pack Update Alerts Infecting Visitors with Spora Ransomware

Quote:
Unfortunately, at this time there is no way to decrypt the files encrypted by Spora Ransomware for free.

Also noted on this Bleepingcomputer thread in their forum:

Spora Ransomware Support and Help Topic
Quote:
Unfortunately, there is no known way to decrypt files encrypted by Spora without paying the ransom since there is no way to retrieve the malware developer's private key that can be used to decrypt your files.
What everyone should take away from this is that if you see a popup on a page stating that you need to download a Chrome Font Pack, you should immediately close the browser and not visit the site again. An alert like this is just an indication that something is not right with the site and it should be avoided.
That thread is three pages long thus far and while some have paid for and received a key that works, some have paid and receive the key that decrypted their files but then could not remove the infection files using normal recommendations. Others received the key but only part of their files were decrypted and many more received a key that didn't work.

If you get one of these pop ups, IMMEDIATELY Close your Chrome browser.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.54.0. ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
The first warning I saw about this was in January at Bleepingcomputer:

On January 18, 2017 : Chrome Users Targeted with Malware via New "Font Wasn't Found" Technique

Next on January 31, 2017 : Fake Chrome Font Pack Update Alerts Infecting Visitors with Spora Ransomware

Also noted on this Bleepingcomputer thread in their forum:

Spora Ransomware Support and Help Topic

That thread is three pages long thus far and while some have paid for and received a key that works, some have paid and receive the key that decrypted their files but then could not remove the infection files using normal recommendations. Others received the key but only part of their files were decrypted and many more received a key that didn't work.

If you get one of these pop ups, IMMEDIATELY Close your Chrome browser.
Thanks for the extra info, I personally never use Chrome but I ran into this and felt it may be useful for those who do use it.
8GB RAm
1 TB HD

There MUST be TERM LIMITS on ALL politicians.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm65 View Post
Thanks for the extra info, I personally never use Chrome but I ran into this and felt it may be useful for those who do use it.
You're welcome. Like you I don't use Chrome, never have but users of other browsers should not get too comfortable, we have to believe that the Ransomeware creators have to also be working on finding a way to get these onto all other browsers so we All should be careful and very watchful.
It also should be noted that
Quote:
the Spora ransomware was first distributed via spam email containing infected attachments or links to malicious websites. Cyber-criminals spam out an email, with forged header information, tricking you into believing that it is from a shipping company like DHL or FedEx. The email tells you that they tried to deliver a package to you, but failed for some reason. Sometimes the emails claim to be notifications of a shipment you have made. Either way, you canít resist being curious as to what the email is referring to Ė and open the attached file (or click on a link embedded inside the email). And with that, your computer is infected with the Spora ransomware.
I found the above information on multiple reputable web sites, word for word, so I have quoted it but I don't know of the actual origin of the description. I simply wanted to add the reminder that deliverance did originate with spam email and now has branched out to include actual delivery by a browser and it is just one browser now but users of all other browsers should not reduce their vigilance.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.54.0. ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Uber Member

Something else to be aware of. Thanks!
Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit free

Why is it that all instruments created to find "intelligent life" are pointed "AWAY" from Earth?