Old 03-08-2017, 08:53 PM

Internet security suites

Hi all,
My current Kaspersky Internet Suite expires in 5 days, and I was wondering if there was something better?
I need something that is very reliable which will stop virus and Trojans and has good support if necessary.
I don't need anything which I can also put on phones etc, I just need it for one PC. My husband has Avast Internet Security on his.
Occasionally Kaspersky has let a Trojan slip through, I've needed to run Malwarebytes AntiMalware to get rid of it.
One of my friends swears by Trend Micro Internet Security.
I don't mind paying for a quality product...
Comments please?
Thanks
Win
Old 03-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Most of us here use Free antivirus programs.
I have used Avira Free for years and years, I have never had one single infection in all those years.

Others use BitDefender Free and Avast Free. All three are excellent choices

The three BEST FREE* anti-virus programs are these according to most recent tests by independent testers at AV Comparitives are the three listed below along with SAFE links for download.

Avira Free - Hit Green Start Download Button this will give you the executable file itself.

http://www.avira.com/en/download/pro...free-antivirus

BitDefender Free - Hit the Green Download button and it will take you to the executable file

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Avast Free Hit the Orange Download button and you will receive that direct executable file download from their site.
https://www.avast.com/index

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-09-2017, 12:16 AM

Smile re internet security suites

Thanks for that information.
Are the 3 you mention just anti-virus? What should I do about protection from Trojans and Malware, other than try to avoid suspicious sites and links?
I would feel happier if I had something which would stop those.
Win
Old 03-09-2017, 12:39 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winb View Post
Are the 3 you mention just anti-virus? What should I do about protection from Trojans and Malware, other than try to avoid suspicious sites and links?
Win
A little read with links to sites.

http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=166227
Old 03-09-2017, 01:16 AM

re internet security suites

WOW, some excellent reading there... I'll study it more closely later, time to prepare the evening meal...
Am I correct in understanding that it isn't necessary to run Malwarebytes AntiMalware in real time (of course this would have to be the paid version), that the free version run manually on a regular basis (with other care) is sufficient.
Will write more in a few hours, when I get back to the computer again.
I always get great advice here... thanks a million.
Win
Old 03-09-2017, 01:20 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
WOW, some excellent reading there... I'll study it more closely later, time to prepare the evening meal...
Am I correct in understanding that it isn't necessary to run Malwarebytes AntiMalware in real time (of course this would have to be the paid version), that the free version run manually on a regular basis (with other care) is sufficient.
Will write more in a few hours, when I get back to the computer again.
I always get great advice here... thanks a million.
Win
True on the Malwarebytes. It needs to be updated every day. Most days have at least 1 or 2 updates and sometimes more than that. Run it weekly or if you think you have a problem run it then. SpywareBlaster is also a must have.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Win
All three we recommend do offer "some" protection against trojans and malware but relying on programs to do this the wrong approach. I say "some" protection because there are literally thousands of these pests already "floating around" already and hundreds of brand new ones released every single day. So there is no way possible that any program, paid or free, can possibly protect against all of them. Very few programs have been able to offer protection from Ransomeware infections that are prevalent today and virtually none of them can remove ransome ware once it is on the computer. IF it is removable then special tools are needed and many of those cannot guarantee removal.

The single biggest factor in preventing a malware infection, including Ransome ware on your PC is YOU, protection programs cannot do their jobs without the user FIRST following each and every safety precaution available.

The main way that malware gets onto a computer because the user personally is actually CHOOSING to let it enter by not following these safe practices listed here from the F.B.I. and published multiple times online and in newspapers and announced on TV:
Quote:
Always use antivirus software and a firewall.

- Enable automated patches for your operating system and web browser.

- Use a popup blockers. Popups are regularly used by criminals to spread malicious software. To avoid accidental clicks on or within popups, it's best to prevent them from appearing in the first place.

- Only download software, especially free software, from sites you know and trust. Malware can come in downloadable games, file-sharing programs and customized toolbars.

- Don't open attachments in unsolicited emails, even if they come from someone in your contact list.

- Never click on a URL contained in an unsolicited email, even if you think it looks safe. Instead, close out of the email and go to the organization's website directly.
In the most recent testing by AV-Comparatives Avira and BitDefender both received the highest ratings possible Advanced Plus with 3 Stars for real world protection from viruses, malware, and trojans. Avast received the second highest rating of Advanced with 2 stars.

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. A weekly scan with the Free version is sufficient.
As Funtimes noted also, SpywareBlaster is also a must have and I would never run a computer without it installed and fully updated.

Obviously it is a persons choice on whether to use paid or free versions of these programs but for most of us here the free versions of these protection programs have served us all extremely well. If you prefer paid programs of course that is fine but you still MUST first follow totally safe online rules. Ignore even one safe surfing rule and even a hundred dollar paid program will Never protect you.

One other note, all of the paid programs contain their own firewall but of course the free versions do not.
Not to worry, the built in Windows Firewall is Excellent and comes highly recommended also.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-10-2017, 08:25 AM

re Internet Security last time

Thanks for all the information, I'll give serious thought to Avira.
Cheers
Win
Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Almost Really Old Member

You're welcome. Happy to help. Of course I am prejudiced, but I love Avira Free I have used it for years and years and I've never had an imfection. It is super easy to use and configure.
The last time I used a paid av program was back when I had my Windows 95 computer. I think I used it for two years and once that last renewal came due I went with a free program and have continued to do that ever since then. I first used AVG Free for about a year but when it became too "bulky" and slowed my computer I switched to Avira Free and I've used nothing else since. You will be pleased if you choose it I am sure.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up