#1  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:39 PM
gary c's Avatar
gary c gary c is offline
STEELER FAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sharon, Pa
Posts: 625
Laptops

I bought my grandkids new laptops several years ago. The are HP, running Windows 7. I want to wipe them out to give them to younger grandkids. I guess 11 years olds need computers to do homework now a days. How do I go about taking them back to when they were new? The biggest problems is my grandson forgot his password, so I can't even get in his. When they were new, HP had me create 4 discs which I still have. I put them in, but I don't know where to go to wipe them out to factory specs. Can this be done, and is there a way to get by the password on the one? I hope that you can understand what I want to do. Thank you for anyone that looks into this for me.
__________________
1. HP Pav HPE 1360t. Windows 7- 64 bit. IE9. 1TB harddrive, 8GB - DDR memory. Beats audio. Microsoft Office starter edition 2010. HP tv tuner.
Canon Pixma MX922 wireless printer.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Intel Core i5-3337U processor
6GB memory 500GB harddrive Windows 8
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Phil's Avatar
Phil Phil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Old Californian using Windows 10 64bit, Firefox, Chrome, Comodo Ice Dragon, IE 11 & cable.
Posts: 8,839
IF the discs are recovery discs, then you should be able to just insert the disc and boot from it, then follow instructions. I would think that you will not need a password for this.

If this restores to the original Windows 7, then you will also need to do the updates
__________________





Click Here to view latest edition
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:31 PM
gary c's Avatar
gary c gary c is offline
STEELER FAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sharon, Pa
Posts: 625
I have to charge them both and then I'll take a look at the discs. I assume they would be recovery discs. I can think of no other reason that HP would have me make them. I just don't know what to look for since there are 4 discs. I liked it when the used to give you the disc for recovery.
__________________
1. HP Pav HPE 1360t. Windows 7- 64 bit. IE9. 1TB harddrive, 8GB - DDR memory. Beats audio. Microsoft Office starter edition 2010. HP tv tuner.
Canon Pixma MX922 wireless printer.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Intel Core i5-3337U processor
6GB memory 500GB harddrive Windows 8
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Sunny's Avatar
Sunny Sunny is offline
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 40,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
I bought my grandkids new laptops several years ago. The are HP, running Windows 7. I want to wipe them out to give them to younger grandkids. I guess 11 years olds need computers to do homework now a days. How do I go about taking them back to when they were new? The biggest problems is my grandson forgot his password, so I can't even get in his. When they were new, HP had me create 4 discs which I still have. I put them in, but I don't know where to go to wipe them out to factory specs. Can this be done, and is there a way to get by the password on the one? I hope that you can understand what I want to do. Thank you for anyone that looks into this for me.
You can follow the steps here to perform a system recovery.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418
__________________
`Sunny
My Blog
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM
jholland1964's Avatar
jholland1964 jholland1964 is offline
Almost Really Old Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Middle
Posts: 35,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
I have to charge them both and then I'll take a look at the discs. I assume they would be recovery discs. I can think of no other reason that HP would have me make them. I just don't know what to look for since there are 4 discs. I liked it when the used to give you the disc for recovery.
Did you number the disks as you burned them? It is a really easy process to wipe the drive back to factory. But you do have to put the disks in in correct order. The disks should have names, even if you did not personally name or number them as you should have done.

Put one disk in, Open, PC or My PC and see what name is shown for that disk once it is recognized by the computer.

It should give you an indication of what the disk is and possibly the order burned.

Once you have them correctly arranged in order from 1 to 4 then you do exactly as Phil said and follow the prompts exactly as given by the disk.

Phil is also correct, this is also going to wipe the password so no problem there. You create a new one if you feel it is needed once you get to that section of set up after the reformat has completed.
__________________

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*


Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 PM
gary c's Avatar
gary c gary c is offline
STEELER FAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sharon, Pa
Posts: 625
I did label the discs from 1 - 4. I'm following the link and started the first laptop. So far so good. I'll see what happens from here. Thank you.
__________________
1. HP Pav HPE 1360t. Windows 7- 64 bit. IE9. 1TB harddrive, 8GB - DDR memory. Beats audio. Microsoft Office starter edition 2010. HP tv tuner.
Canon Pixma MX922 wireless printer.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Intel Core i5-3337U processor
6GB memory 500GB harddrive Windows 8
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:46 PM
gary c's Avatar
gary c gary c is offline
STEELER FAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sharon, Pa
Posts: 625
First laptop done. Second one started. Everything is going perfect. I thank you all for your help.
__________________
1. HP Pav HPE 1360t. Windows 7- 64 bit. IE9. 1TB harddrive, 8GB - DDR memory. Beats audio. Microsoft Office starter edition 2010. HP tv tuner.
Canon Pixma MX922 wireless printer.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Intel Core i5-3337U processor
6GB memory 500GB harddrive Windows 8
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 PM
gary c's Avatar
gary c gary c is offline
STEELER FAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sharon, Pa
Posts: 625
Success. Both laptops have been restored. And, they even gave me the free 60 days of Norton. I didn't expect that. I want to thank you very much for the assistance. It was greatly appreciated.
__________________
1. HP Pav HPE 1360t. Windows 7- 64 bit. IE9. 1TB harddrive, 8GB - DDR memory. Beats audio. Microsoft Office starter edition 2010. HP tv tuner.
Canon Pixma MX922 wireless printer.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Intel Core i5-3337U processor
6GB memory 500GB harddrive Windows 8
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 PM
BigToe BigToe is offline
Happy Retiree
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: 'Shake & Bake' So Calif, USA
Posts: 6,284
Don't forget to get all the Windows updates that have come out since those recovery discs were created years ago... or use this as a nice teaching opportunity for the grandkids to do them to learn about and practice keeping those wonderful gifts safe and up to date. And don't forget the safety programs like SpywareBlaster, AV, and anti malware. They'll appreciate the chance to learn with a thoughtful and generous Grampa....

Nice job!
__________________
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 53.0, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.3.2 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:08 PM
jholland1964's Avatar
jholland1964 jholland1964 is offline
Almost Really Old Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Middle
Posts: 35,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
Success. Both laptops have been restored. And, they even gave me the free 60 days of Norton. I didn't expect that. I want to thank you very much for the assistance. It was greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToe View Post
Don't forget to get all the Windows updates that have come out since those recovery discs were created years ago... or use this as a nice teaching opportunity for the grandkids to do them to learn about and practice keeping those wonderful gifts safe and up to date. And don't forget the safety programs like SpywareBlaster, AV, and anti malware. They'll appreciate the chance to learn with a thoughtful and generous Grampa....

Nice job!
Congrats Gary! I'm with BigToe on all of his suggestions. Especially teaching the kids from Day One of being owners of their own computers. If you feel they are old enough to need and own their very own computers then they are old enough how to correctly use them safely and responsibly.

Even though the Norton was Free for 60 days, why not go with a good and always free Free AV program from the beginning? Follow instructions from this Sticky to choose and install the very best security programs available. ALL of them are Free all of the time and offer protection equal or much better than any paid program

Essesntial Tools & Tips: PROTECT YOURSELF FROM MALWARE
__________________

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*


Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-22-2017, 10:26 AM
gary c's Avatar
gary c gary c is offline
STEELER FAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sharon, Pa
Posts: 625
Both laptops are saying that they are running an outdated version of Internet Explorer. How do I check which version that they are using and how do I upgrade to the newest version of Internet Explorer.
__________________
1. HP Pav HPE 1360t. Windows 7- 64 bit. IE9. 1TB harddrive, 8GB - DDR memory. Beats audio. Microsoft Office starter edition 2010. HP tv tuner.
Canon Pixma MX922 wireless printer.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Intel Core i5-3337U processor
6GB memory 500GB harddrive Windows 8
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-22-2017, 10:54 AM
jholland1964's Avatar
jholland1964 jholland1964 is offline
Almost Really Old Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Middle
Posts: 35,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
Both laptops are saying that they are running an outdated version of Internet Explorer. How do I check which version that they are using and how do I upgrade to the newest version of Internet Explorer.
To see which version you have is very simple, one the open browser go to Help, About Internet Explorer. A box will come up and show you what version you are running. *see attached*

Have you run Windows Updates?
This should be the very first thing you do because by reformat/reinstalling you have taken both computers back to factory fresh. Therefore there are no updates on either one of them since the date the operating system was installed at the factory and they are as they were the day you opened the boxes.

So before doing ANYTHING else or installing any other programs you need to get all of these updates. Several years worth in other words. If you want your grandkids to be as safe as possible then this must be done immediately.

When updating the computers you would automatically then receive the most up to date versions of Internet Explorer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IE Version.JPG (27.1 KB, 13 views)
__________________

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*


Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-22-2017, 11:22 AM
gary c's Avatar
gary c gary c is offline
STEELER FAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sharon, Pa
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
To see which version you have is very simple, one the open browser go to Help, About Internet Explorer. A box will come up and show you what version you are running. *see attached*

Have you run Windows Updates?
This should be the very first thing you do because by reformat/reinstalling you have taken both computers back to factory fresh. Therefore there are no updates on either one of them since the date the operating system was installed at the factory and they are as they were the day you opened the boxes.

So before doing ANYTHING else or installing any other programs you need to get all of these updates. Several years worth in other words. If you want your grandkids to be as safe as possible then this must be done immediately.

When updating the computers you would automatically then receive the most up to date versions of Internet Explorer
No I haven't gone any further yet since yesterday. I will start on the Windows update this afternoon as soon as I get back home. Thanks for your input.
__________________
1. HP Pav HPE 1360t. Windows 7- 64 bit. IE9. 1TB harddrive, 8GB - DDR memory. Beats audio. Microsoft Office starter edition 2010. HP tv tuner.
Canon Pixma MX922 wireless printer.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Intel Core i5-3337U processor
6GB memory 500GB harddrive Windows 8
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-22-2017, 11:31 AM
jholland1964's Avatar
jholland1964 jholland1964 is offline
Almost Really Old Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Middle
Posts: 35,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
No I haven't gone any further yet since yesterday. I will start on the Windows update this afternoon as soon as I get back home. Thanks for your input.
Happy to help. The computers really should not be used until they are fully updated. Then you can add the other programs, etc. that you want.
__________________

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*


Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-22-2017, 03:35 PM
gary c's Avatar
gary c gary c is offline
STEELER FAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sharon, Pa
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
Happy to help. The computers really should not be used until they are fully updated. Then you can add the other programs, etc. that you want.
In your opinion, which is the better of the free anti-virus programs. I would rather install one of them now instead of using Norton for the 60 days and then install a different antivirus program. Should I uninstall the Norton free trial before I install one of the anti-virus programs ?
__________________
1. HP Pav HPE 1360t. Windows 7- 64 bit. IE9. 1TB harddrive, 8GB - DDR memory. Beats audio. Microsoft Office starter edition 2010. HP tv tuner.
Canon Pixma MX922 wireless printer.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Intel Core i5-3337U processor
6GB memory 500GB harddrive Windows 8
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-22-2017, 03:36 PM
gary c's Avatar
gary c gary c is offline
STEELER FAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sharon, Pa
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
In your opinion, which is the better of the free anti-virus programs. I would rather install one of them now instead of using Norton for the 60 days and then install a different antivirus program. Should I uninstall the Norton free trial before I install one of the anti-virus programs ?
By the way, they both are running Internet Explorer 8. Is that ok ?
__________________
1. HP Pav HPE 1360t. Windows 7- 64 bit. IE9. 1TB harddrive, 8GB - DDR memory. Beats audio. Microsoft Office starter edition 2010. HP tv tuner.
Canon Pixma MX922 wireless printer.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Intel Core i5-3337U processor
6GB memory 500GB harddrive Windows 8
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-22-2017, 03:49 PM
Phil's Avatar
Phil Phil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Old Californian using Windows 10 64bit, Firefox, Chrome, Comodo Ice Dragon, IE 11 & cable.
Posts: 8,839
Please do as Judy suggests go first to get all of the Windows updates. That will include the updates for IE. Once that is done, then immediately download and install either Avast or Avira free (not the trial versions). Upon completion of that, then you should be able to get the additional malware protection and other programs you may want.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-22-2017, 03:50 PM
jholland1964's Avatar
jholland1964 jholland1964 is offline
Almost Really Old Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Middle
Posts: 35,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
In your opinion, which is the better of the free anti-virus programs. I would rather install one of them now instead of using Norton for the 60 days and then install a different antivirus program. Should I uninstall the Norton free trial before I install one of the anti-virus programs ?
My personal preference, as most members here know is Avira Free. I have run it on many computers and many operating systems, from Windows '98. XP. Windows 7 and Windows 10. I have never, ever had an infection. Avira and BitDefender Free both consistently receive the highest possible rankings
Yes, Uninstall Norton Free Trial before uninstalling whichever one you choose. But....do NOTHING until you get All of the Windows Updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
By the way, they both are running Internet Explorer 8. Is that ok ?
No of course not. That is 8 years old and 3 versions behind. BUT you WILL receive those with the Windows Updates. Please do those First. Don't worry about the anti-virus program, the only thing you will be in contact with is Windows Updates. Plus, chances are that no program will install correctly without the Windows Updates.
Please Update the computers completely before attempting to add other programs, they likely will not work correctly.
Generally you
__________________

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*


Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-22-2017, 04:00 PM
gary c's Avatar
gary c gary c is offline
STEELER FAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sharon, Pa
Posts: 625
I did do the Windows Updates. I just checked and it states IE 8. I haven't gone any further than the updates. Since it says IE8, should I run them again ?
__________________
1. HP Pav HPE 1360t. Windows 7- 64 bit. IE9. 1TB harddrive, 8GB - DDR memory. Beats audio. Microsoft Office starter edition 2010. HP tv tuner.
Canon Pixma MX922 wireless printer.

2. Dell Inspiron 15
15.6 HD Widescreen
Intel Core i5-3337U processor
6GB memory 500GB harddrive Windows 8
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-22-2017, 04:07 PM
jholland1964's Avatar
jholland1964 jholland1964 is offline
Almost Really Old Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Middle
Posts: 35,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
I did do the Windows Updates. I just checked and it states IE 8. I haven't gone any further than the updates. Since it says IE8, should I run them again ?
How many hours did it take to get the updates? It truly should have taken hours. It will download and install some of them and stop. Do the machines have Windows 7 SP 1? and then the additional what has been called a "convenience rollup" for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (and Windows Server 2008 R2), which in a single package contains all the updates, both security and non-security, released since the Service Pack 1, up through April 2016. Installing the rollup will perform five years of patching in one shot.
Do both machines have those? Then there would be 11 more months of updates since then.
__________________

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*


Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2011 WorldStart, Inc