Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > PC Ask and Answer Questions

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:06 AM
WorldStart.com Admin

If you have nothing nice to say...

You know when you were young and your mom would tell you if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all?

It is good wisdom!

At WorldStart we want a helpful fun community and it's come to our attention recently that certain users (both new and long time) have taken on a tone of posting we don't want to see here.

Examples of things we don't want to hear:

"That's a dumb question, newb windows key?!! DUH"
"Use the search, that's why it's on the page."
"If you READ what I said."
"You're not helping me/not listening to me/not doing what I want"

Examples of ways to communicate the same message in a better way:

"That's an easy question to answer, you hit the windows key on the keyboard to bring up the start menu"
"I found a thread about this exact same question for you with some helpful information, link here to that thread, you know you can also use the search function to find answers because a lot of people have very similar/same questions"
"From what your saying it seems like you may not have followed all the steps I suggested, could you tell me which ones you did and what happened?"
"Thanks for the info but I'm still confused/I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for/I think I may have a different way of doing that"

If you see a post/thread that violates this spirit please report it.

Thank you,

Tim Alexander
WorldStart
Old 12-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimWS View Post
You know when you were young and your mom would tell you if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all?

It is good wisdom!

At WorldStart we want a helpful fun community and it's come to our attention recently that certain users (both new and long time) have taken on a tone of posting we don't want to see here.

"That's an easy question to answer, you hit the windows key on the keyboard to bring up the start menu"
"I found a thread about this exact same question for you with some helpful information, link here to that thread, you know you can also use the search function to find answers because a lot of people have very similar/same questions"
"From what your saying it seems like you may not have followed all the steps I suggested, could you tell me which ones you did and what happened?"
"Thanks for the info but I'm still confused/I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for/I think I may have a different way of doing that"

Thank you,

Tim Alexander
WorldStart
Thank you Tim. Hopefully we will see kindness return to the board.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Change Sucks

Quote:

It is good wisdom!

Thank you,

Tim Alexander
WorldStart
Thanks TimWS, glad to see we have a moderator who cares

http://shanaya.omgforum.net
Old 12-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Police Lives Matter!

I am not too keen on the wholesale use of the 'Report Button' being advocated here. There are some among us who tend to use it as a means of attack, and all too often.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Change Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuggy23 View Post
I am not too keen on the wholesale use of the 'Report Button' being advocated here. There are some among us who tend to use it as a means of attack, and all too often.

They will see Wuggy...

http://shanaya.omgforum.net
Old 12-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Learning

Thank you. Thank you Tim

I've be coming here for many years and for awhile I've noticed that the forum sure has changed. I started by not coming in so much and actually thought of finding somewhere else to go.

Now I won't. I'm so very relieved because this place has saved me many times.

I do appreciate the nice, friendly, and non-condescending help!
LenovoH50-50, 64 Bit, RAM 6.0gb Windows 10Home, but using Classic Shell for Windows 8,Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, CCleaner, Lenovo OneKeyRecovery, Cobian Backup
Old 12-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Saved By Grace

Thumbs up

Thanks Tim..

Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Shalom
Old 12-12-2011, 03:02 PM

I found that Worldstart, especially Sunny, has solved every problem I have had with my computer. Thanks for your help and easy to follow solutions.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Not working at WS anymore

Tim is a great guy. In the office he is always the kind of guy who goes out of his way to lend a hand, is very patient with the customers on the phone, and bring in great treats to share with others in the office. Thanks for the reminder Tim!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Thank you very much Tim. I rarely come here at all these days, and when I have, the rudeness is intolerable. It is definitely not the same board, I posted on for so long. This post was a very pleasant surprise.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna C View Post
Thank you very much Tim. I rarely come here at all these days, and when I have, the rudeness is intolerable. It is definitely not the same board, I posted on for so long. This post was a very pleasant surprise.
Please stick around Donna. Just ignore the trouble makers.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Learning

Good to see you Donna

Everything should be good now. Tim put the nasty ones in place I think!

Hope to see you again soon.
LenovoH50-50, 64 Bit, RAM 6.0gb Windows 10Home, but using Classic Shell for Windows 8,Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, CCleaner, Lenovo OneKeyRecovery, Cobian Backup
Old 12-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Learning everyday

Thank you Tim.

Kind words don't wear out the tongue
Old 12-16-2011, 02:15 AM
Forum Moderator

This sticky was posted in response to this post

http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=157270

As you can see from the members who responded to the original post there are plenty of nice, friendly people on this board. I have been a member of Worldstart from almost the beginning and have seen the forums take on a "nasty" tone over the last few years. Many of the original members have left the forum because of the nasty behavior. I think if the moderators of this forum step in and keep the bossy, troublemakers in place things will get better. There are so many nice, helpful people here.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Using it or Losing it

I've only just noticed this in your signature Sunny and I'm intrigued !

"The Kardashians are like finger nails on a chalk board. I don't want to "keep up" I just want them to go away! "

Who or what are Kardashians and why do you want them to go away?

I Googled Kardashians and discovered it is some kind of reality TV show in America which we don't see in the UK. Is the phrase an "Americanism" and what does it mean?

Firefox v 47.01
Kaspersky Internet Security 2016
Seagate expansion Drive
MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware
"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshire lass View Post
I've only just noticed this in your signature Sunny and I'm intrigued !

"The Kardashians are like finger nails on a chalk board. I don't want to "keep up" I just want them to go away! "

Who or what are Kardashians and why do you want them to go away?

I Googled Kardashians and discovered it is some kind of reality TV show in America which we don't see in the UK. Is the phrase an "Americanism" and what does it mean?
yorkshire lass, the Kardashian's are a family of women who's mother is married to Bruce Jenner who is a former U.S. track and field athlete. They have a reality show that revolves around the rich, spoiled daughters and it is soooo annoying. It makes the news in the USA which I find ridiculous with all of the real news happening such as war, hunger, politics, suffering, etc. One of the most recent shenanigans by Kim Kardashian was her wedding that reportedly cost over ten million dollars and lasted 72 days. I know this because it made the evening news not because I watch the show but at least in my area of the country you cannot really get through a day without seeing these people who are basically famous for nothing.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Life's Tough,Get A Helmet

The Kardashians are like finger nails on a chalk board. I don't want to "keep up" I just want them to go away!

I don't see that happening.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 AM

Fact is that common courtesy towards one another costs nothing and creates a great amount of goodwill. Many, many years ago a very wise man - one of our erstwhile city councillors in Durban where I used to live until eighteen months ago said to me one day: "Words are the tools of communication, regardless of what language you speak. Use those words wisely and you'll make friends for life, but use them badly and you'll have enemies for life..."
Old 02-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Epic Member

It is good wisdom!

Thank you,

Tim Alexander
WorldStart

Thanks Tim, I was glad to see your post, Some (including me) may come back again. The example below sounds very familiar to me. I have often left my problem and left the board because of being intimidated for some silly reason. No one should be talked DOWN to. The intolerance of some here is inexcusable. Who needs it?

Win10~HP Pavilion 64 bit~All-in-one
AT&T U-Verse wireless~IE~FF~500GB HD
4GB Memory~Avast Antivirus~Malwarebytes~
SuperAntiSpyware.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 PM

If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all/
I always seem to put my foot in my mouth-lol just old gotta