Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > Off Topic

Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Not working at WS anymore

Red face KerryWS's Policies - a general outline

In regards to reporting problems to me, or problems in general:

*Making threats and demands to the effective of 'If I dont get XXXXX, then I am not spending money on your store!" or "If you do XXX then I am leaving!" will never be an acceptable tactic. Money does not excuse immature behavior or rudeness. While we are a business, on the forums our job is to provide fair moderation that is not influenced by the various demands of members without regard. I care about our customers and these boards, but that does not mean I am vulnerable to being manipulated or abused.
*Users can delete and edit their own threads up to 1 hour after posting. If an active user has a post or thread that is in question, please do not report it to the staff or make a post about it on the forums. Please POLITELY contact the user and gently inform them about the issue. Staff should not have to deal with cleaning up these kinds of situations.
* My personal policy on trouble users is that I will use the warning system. This system will inform you when you have been warned, how many points the warning is worth, and why. It takes 12 points to be banned.
*If the trouble user is very abusive, or the situation is very ugly I will outright ban.
*Sending me hostile private messages, and making public drama over a warning will result in a banning. A warning is not a serious situation so long as you do not repeat the infraction - things do become serious when drama is started and the offender tries to look like a victim. I recently sent someone a gentle 2 point warning for a post they made. This user then proceeded to taunt me in a hostile fashion in private messages, and then made posts on our forum that painted this hostile user as a "helpless victim of tyrant mods". He was banned. Afterward he continued this hostile interactions by sending me rude emails. This is not acceptable.
*The use of drugs, or drinking, or even age is not an acceptable excuse for behavior that will result in a banning. We are adults here, we accept personal responsibility for our own actions.
*If there is a serious issue, please private message me or any other of the moderators. Posting a "report" in the off topic area is not acceptable. Jumping into a public flame war or playing 'white knight' can get you pulled into the drama and potentially hurt your own reputation.

I can, do, and will change my policies as seen fit. Changing my policies will not be a normal occurrence, that being said I will act swiftly in the interest of these boards. Do not test my patience. Do not confuse my cool head and willingness to talk for being weak willed.

Last edited by KerryWS; 12-16-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Police Lives Matter!

For the less well behaved among us can you tell me how long the 'penalty points' last. Are they like a driving licence where they drop off after a period of time or are they like the poor and always with us?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 PM

They expire after a few days. Depending on the infraction I can increase or decrease the point value and length of time.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Police Lives Matter!

With respect are we not seeking to over complicate something which should be as uncomplicated as possible.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Almost Really Old Member

sorry, wasn't trying to complicate anything.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Police Lives Matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
sorry, wasn't trying to complicate anything.
I appreciate that. I was a cop for for 30 odd years studying and dispensing Scots Law. I'm just glad I was never a moderator.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Exclamation

I moderate a couple of French forums and with their passion ,they really can test my patience at times.

My system is the 3 strike rule,then they get banned for a month [to cool off]...if they haven't learned their lesson,then their IP is blocked,permanently.

DVD help

Photofiltre Graphic Editor

Old 12-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Doreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLEY View Post
I moderate a couple of French forums and with their passion ,they really can test my patience at times.

My system is the 3 strike rule,then they get banned for a month [to cool off]...if they haven't learned their lesson,then their IP is blocked,permanently.

LOL OMG I feel for you... having lived with a 'Jacques' for 13 years and then a "Guy" for 23 both from your neck of the woods............. OMG you have your hands full to have an entire forum of them ( the passionate French) to control..... lol
that really made me giggle... I'm sick. sorry.

You are a very very patient person.

Last edited by delig8dor; 12-13-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: reference to 'them'..
Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
*Users can delete and edit their own threads.
Personally, I have never been a big fan of this option. I have seen many times in the past (especially in OT and RPC) where a thread starter has 'spat the dummy' (presumably when he/she wasn't getting the replies they were expecting) and deleted the entire thread after other members have spent a lot of time and effort researching and posting replies.

I have also seen at least one case where a long time member with thousands of posts - most of them helping people in Ask and Answer - has also 'spat the dummy' and gone back and deleted every single post they made, some going back to 2002 (well, except for the ones in a few locked threads). Now, that's dedication.

We've seen many threads deleted in Ask and Answer in the past with the reason given as "Problem solved". That was the reason why this thread was posted but its still up to the thread starter whether they want to abide by it or not. Assuming they even read it.

Both of these scenarios don't help when new members with a computer problem are trying to do a search in case their question has already been answered.

Maybe you could consider putting a time limit on deleting/editing posts and threads? Or, the thread starter can only delete the thread if there are no replies? Or, deleting the first post in the thread only deletes that post and not the entire thread? (Yep, I know that would make the whole thread kinda pointless if the first post is gone - unless its been quoted in subsequent replies - so that probably wouldn't be the best option).

Thanks.

Last edited by Carl D; 12-13-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:30 PM

Carl D, actually disabling members ability to delete their own posts for these very reasons is something I have considered. Thanks for saying something to reconfirm my thoughts.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Doreen

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryWS View Post
They expire after a few days. Depending on the infraction I can increase or decrease the point value and length of time.

so in risk of obtaining a strike against me does this mean perhaps depending on your mood?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Almost Really Old Member

@ Carl and KerryWS:

In the two other forums I am associated with both have the option to edit or delete for specified period of time, one is 30 minutes and the other is 1 hour after the submit button has been clicked. At the end of the time period then that the post cannot be edited and also cannot be deleted. I personally prefer the one with the 1 hour "edit/delete" window.
The only way a thread can be deleted is by requesting a mod that the thread be deleted, requests to delete single or multiple posts usually are not accepted or granted, unless some sort of major error has been made when giving instructions or something like that. In malware removal threads this does occasionally happen after re-reading a log and seeing something that must be fixed first before another step is given. Otherwise deleting a post just because the poster wants it or them deleted is not allowed.

One other thing not allowed on either of those forums is answering a question by posting links that only lead directly to google, bing or other search engine result pages. Actual links to specific sites have to be posted. That eliminates the possibility of people ending up in the wrong place by clicking a link on one of those search result pages.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Doreen

Quote:
Carl D, actually disabling members ability to delete their own posts for these very reasons is something I have considered. Thanks for saying something to reconfirm my thoughts.
Carl is pretty sharp on running forums and dealing with posts being deleted and removed at inappropriate times.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Forum Moderator

I am bumping this so that it is back at the top.....

KerryWs, this should be a sticky so that it is readily available.
Da Rules, Learn 'em and Live 'em!
Mike's free security tools
Registry Cleaners are Unnecessary!!!
Reformatting is your last course of action.
System Restore, Don't use it!
Just because it is on Youtube, does not make it true!
Spes mea in Deo est
Old 12-15-2011, 03:54 PM
99% sugar free

I am a freak when it comes to typos and spelling errors. I hope I never make any that I don't catch in time.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Rachel View Post
I am a freak when it comes to typos and spelling errors. I hope I never make any that I don't catch in time.
So am I.

You have an hour to catch and fix them - more then fair enough.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Override View Post
I am bumping this so that it is back at the top.....

KerryWs, this should be a sticky so that it is readily available.
I agree. Bump.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 12-15-2011, 08:12 PM

I feel making it a sticky is too egotistical. So instead I'll include a link to this thread in my signature.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
I feel making it a sticky is too egotistical. So instead I'll include a link to this thread in my signature.
As one who has links in her signature with info that I feel is important, I can tell you absolutely, people don't use the links. I am not going to remove them because occasionally somebody does use them, 9 out of 10 do not. I frankly only added them to my signature to make it easier for me to locate the information when encountering those problems or questions from users while working on a malware removal thread, if others read them, all the better, but they usually don't.

You yourself said in one thread that you didn't see a signature link because you had signatures disabled.

As Crash said, and I agree with him completely, a sticky at the top, of each and every section is the best way to assure that members here are fully informed

Nothing egotistical about moderators having stickies with basic information about the forums and how things work at the tops of all forums. It is done all the time at all the forums I visit on a regular basis. If fact it is extremely rare that there are none on them.

Since your arrival here on December 12th you have created 4 Polls, with an average of 24 votes in each.

There have been at least 4 threads that you have created, all containing information on various things about the inner workings and changes being made on the forums, there were additional questions on each, with some answers from you, explanations of how things work on other boards by others.

You also have posted answers to various questions on threads, at least 6 by my count, created by members concerning the inner workings and changes being made on the forum. On some of these threads you supplied additional pieces of information with multiple posts.
So there are a minimum of 10 to 12, threads, maybe more I only did a quick look, "floating around" up and down on various sections of this forum. Most of those 10-12+ theads have multiple questions from users along with multiple replies from you and others. Some all ready go 2 pages or more. Unless each and every one of these 10-12+ threads continue to have posts in them, or "bumps" to keep them on the first page and towards the top they will soon naturally drift to the bottom and then off the first page and continue a downward trip until they are no longer seen.

Some or many are in Off Topic, which, for me personally, has been a section I rarely visited prior to December 12th unless another member told me to "take a look" otherwise I would not have seen it. Maybe I am in the minority with that, I do not know but it is a section I rarely visit.

If all of the information given by you, and there has been a lot, on all of those threads is combined into one thread, by yourself, placed as a sticky at the top of each and every section of the board and locked so that only you can post additional information as need then that would be where a person with a question about the operation and inner workings of this forum can easily be directed by any member available at the time. Nobody will have to search through old threads for the answer, everything will be contained right at the top of every page in the sticky.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 PM

Good point, Ill make it an agenda for the future.